DCS 2.7 crashes unless I run it as an administrator when using 2080 TI, but doesn't when using 1080 TI?

RTS354

When I run DCS using an OEM NVidia 1080 TI, I never have any crashes, but when I upgraded to an EVGA 2080 TI on March 2020, DCS crashes almost every time I run it, but if I run it as an Administrator it never crashes and runs fine. I am using the latest drivers on both the OEM 2080 TI, and the EVGA 2080 IT. All my games directories are located on my D:\Games folder

Also, when the games crash to the desktop, there are no errors recorded in the Windows 10 application and system event logs.

Note that this issues never occurred on my Alienware 51 (i9-7900x), until I replaced the OEM Nvidia card with an EGVA 2080 TI. I have the same issue with my home-built system (Ryzen 5900x). My new system was built just a few weeks ago with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro and all games and programs.

In the last year, Dell had spent 40 hours troubling shooting my Alienware 51 and could not find any issues with the OEM Video card, and another 40 hours troubleshooting the Alienware with the EGVA 2080 TI which also did not have any issues.

I am now on my fourth RMA EVGA 2080 TI, and in each case, EGVA stated that three of the cards that they replaced were not defective. 

Another fact: When I stress test the EGVA 2080 TI card in both the Alienware 51, and my new 5900x system, the EVGA 2080 TI passes all tests perfectly.

I am at a lost a why this is happening because the 1080 TI works without elevated privilege's, but the 2080 TI does not? I been building and troubleshooting computers since the 90's, and I have never seen this type of behavior before.

Edited by RTS354

hi. i had a similar problem years ago when i replaced an OEM 1070 with an evga 1080. when i seated new card, and fired up windows, i saw some old dated DLLs being replaced. my 1070 crashed in DCS every time i tried it. you did clean install so not a driver issue. i see many people saying running DCS Win8 compat mode and as admin helped.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I had the same problem running with a EVGA3080, it used to crash every time I restarted a mission. I followed RTS354 and now load the game as administrator, played a lot that way yesterday and this morning and since then 0 crashes, looks good.

This seems to be a problem with EVGA cards as I never had a problem with other vendor cards. Not sure why. BTW, I'm on my fourth RMA EVGA 2080TI, and I will never buy another EVGA card again due to all of the issues that I have been having with their products. BTW, I had this problem using the same EGVA 2080 TI on three separate computer systems two where Intel, and the third was a 5900x Ryzen system.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. So far so good. No crashes even when I turn up all of the graphics options in both the VR and on the desktop video. Have been playing for several hours. I still have my fingers cross.  Maybe after a month I will try running my system with the 3600 memory running at it's rated speed to see if the crashing returns. I will update this post to see how it goes.