Boeing B-52 Stratofortress as a full fidellity paid module?? Would you buy?

Rick50

buy a B-52 module?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a B-52 module?

• YES YES YES!! of course!
    • No.
    • No, BUT only because the map sizes are too small for such a long range bomber. When map sizes are large enough for a full mission, I would buy this proposed module.
    • Maybe. I might be interested in it, but I haven't made up my mind.
    • I want heavies and I like bombers, but I don't want a B-52 because reasons.
  2. 2. How much would you be willing to pay for a full module?

• $80 for a single variant?
    • $120 for a single modern variant if it cost a lot to develop ?
    • $250, if it covered all the variants, all the ordnance it ever carried, with two dozen repaints?
    • $0.00 because I don't want this module.
  3. 3. Which variant /era /mission would you be most interested?

• Early Cold War nuclear deterrence? Shark's tail, Bare metal SAC ?
    • Vietnam War, Shark's tail B-52D variant, Big Belly modification, Arc Light missions, Linebacker 2 ?
    • 1980's Cold War ALCM cruise missile carriers ?
    • 1990's Desert Storm era, conventional weapons only?
    • 2020 GWOT era, precision weapon platform?
    • All the above, keeping in mind that pushes cost/price, and development time, dramatically up?
    • None of the above, because I don't want this module.

On 8/9/2022 at 7:04 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

Given its nuke carrier mission, I wouldn't be surprised if this old girl was still classified in way too many aspects.

It's not so much SIOP, but some of the equipment on board, namely the EWO station.  That said, the TO's for the AMI upgrade were/are floating around the interwebs.  Now that the old girl will receive a new radar, engines, CONNECT and who knows what else, AMI may now be superseded like CCIP was for the Viper.  Even if all of that could be overcome there's still other show stoppers mentioned in the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

We have the new AI model incoming; we have multicrew developing quite nicely; HB is working on the A-6E; Maps (esp. with Kola anounced) are getting bigger and bigger; it's time to think about producing some multicrew heavy bombers and the BUFF is the most versatile and interesting choice there and it's just cool.

Bottom Line: We need a B-52 Module 🤩

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

Imagine if it had a Jester-like interaction menu and whenever you give an order the entire plane replies with "No can do"...

Edited by Sarix
typo
  • Like 1

R7-4800H @ 8x 2.9GHz + (8+16)GB DDR4? RAM + GTX 1660Ti.

Gripen needs to be a thing.

Wouldn't it be more useful to have a poll ask:

Should the B-52 be a player module?

- Yes (I'd buy it now)

- Yes (once maps are large enough)

- Maybe

- No (but it should have an AI version)

- No (I want a different heavy aircraft first)

- No

How much would you pay for it?

- More than the F/A-18 module

- Same price as the F/A-18 module

- As much as the cheapest full-fidelity aircraft.

- Less than half price of an F/A-18 for a non-clickable cockpit

What variant would you be most interested in?

[Same options as the OP without the 2020 model because it would literally be the only current aircraft in the core game, I guess?]

I feel like these questions and options would make more sense and provide more useful data for whatever developer might be interested when researching what aircraft to do next. It would let the devs focus on what the player base wants and let them know how far to potentially take it.

Because, if I'm being honest, I'm a fighter guy and wouldn't want to do more than pay $35 (CAD) for an occasional experience.

Well, since you feel your questions would be more relevant or helpful,  and you may be right, by  all means start a new poll thread!  You could post a link in this thread pointing to your new one, and ('ll participate myself!

Maybe before you  do start it, you might consider further questions, from yourself or others that a dev team might wonder about.  I'll personally refrain from that myself as my own poll  questions were not very popular, but I'm certain that there's other potential contributors who have great questions to ask possible B-52 customers

One minor point: I don't believe ED is interested in non-clickable cockpits for DCS after the FC3 planes, though maybe they'd be open to that for another product line like MAC if that is still happening. 

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 1

Sure, I guess it's fair that if I make a suggestion I be prepared to do what I can for it. I just didn't want to make a competing thread if it would be insulting. And you make a great point about asking others for input before I do it. Do I have permission to copy your variant answers?

So, does anyone who reads this have things they want me to consider, change or add to what I suggested two posts back? I'll wait a few days and come back to see what can be improved before I post it.

• Like 1

I wouldn't see that as insulting, rather a complimentary effort to try for the same goal: BUFF module!  Nor would I mind if you chose to confine it to this existing thread either... but with new better questions I just think it's probably better to start with a fresh thread, fresh eyes and responses. 

You may copy any part of my posts and/or poll content as you see fit, we're on the same side after all! If it's a direct quote, I just want it clear that it's a quote from me, however the poll questions can be copied either verbatim or modified as you wish, without attributing it to me... because I don't consider poll questions to be the same as a quote, and I think you ought to be free to be as clear or as vague as you feel necessary to achieve the best poll participation.

I don't really have any new questions for you, I'm kinda spent on this topic, but I'm sure others can probably come up with something, and it would be a shame to not have them contribute! That was one of my mistakes with this thread, though I was also rushing to create this thread at that time, I vaguely recall some sort of urgency though I don't remember why! 

I took the Poll and was Honest. I like polls for our Passion on Flight Simulation. Matters not how it was designed to me. I will comment on how and Why I voted.

Vote was No

reason is because I fly Single Player and this would have to be a Multiplayer with full multiplayer crew to be a functioning playable model (Or so I am Thinking off the cuff)

This is my first exposure to the idea so I am thinking off the cuff with no real ability to add a lot to the topic.

Would I buy it?  Yes, if only for the experience of sitting in it in VR and practicing QRA scrambles.  Would I fly it many combat missions? probably not.  It would require multi crew and long endurance flights.  The actual 'combat' element would be a very small % of that.  As a pure bomber I'd much rather a Tornado GR1, F-111 or F-117, as I think the strategic element is absent from DCS and a tactical asset makes more sense. 

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

B-52-engine-nacelles.webp

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/this-is-what-the-b-52-will-look-like-with-its-new-rolls-royce-engines

Hmm. I thought there would be a significant thrust increase with the re-engining... but a quick wiki look suggests they are roughly in the same ballpark/class of thrust. It's difficult for me to know "EXACTLY" as I'd have to dive much deeper, and then the new F130 config has apparently not been settled yet either... so it might be about the same, or maybe a modest gain of 2000lbs ? But they might not want to increase stresses on the old airframes and just electronically "de-rate" them to match the original H's  TF33-P-3  17,000 lbs thrust...

Then I found this:

Rolls-Royce offered the BR725 (F130 in the US military) with 75.6 kN (17,000 lbf) for the United States Air Force’s (USAF) B-52H Stratofortress Commercial Engine Replacement Program (CERP).[11] 

Now that said... though seemingly the exact same thrust, I wonder if the physically wider turbofan might offer more "bite" for a slightly improved takeoff? I don't know enough about jet engines for a definitive conclusion!

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rick50 said:

Hmm. I thought there would be a significant thrust increase with the re-engining... but a quick wiki look suggests they are roughly in the same ballpark/class of thrust. It's difficult for me to know "EXACTLY" as I'd have to dive much deeper, and then the new F130 config has apparently not been settled yet either... so it might be about the same, or maybe a modest gain of 2000lbs ? But they might not want to increase stresses on the old airframes and just electronically "de-rate" them to match the original H's  TF33-P-3  17,000 lbs thrust...

Then I found this:

Now that said... though seemingly the exact same thrust, I wonder if the physically wider turbofan might offer more "bite" for a slightly improved takeoff? I don't know enough about jet engines for a definitive conclusion!

Why do you expect more?  The current engines are already powerful enough to cause Vmc problems at heavy weights.  Keep in mind the plane was originally built with J57's, the last of which had 13,750 lbs. with the water injection.  The TF33's already overpower the small tail if you lose an outboard pod, we briefed that EP every time we were over that weight.  More or less the pilots told us they would hold it level as long as they could with no directional control to give us a chance to get out.  If you where on the lower deck or in a jump seat below 250 ft. and 500 ft. respectively, then you were dead.

With much better fuel economy, the jets will carry less gas for shorter missions.  At partial fuel loads the BUFF can accelerate surprisingly fast, ISTR one 70 knot call time of 7 seconds lightly loaded.  The other thing to keep in mind is that up and away the thrust effects pitch moment and fuel slosh.  Even if the engines are thermodynamically capable of higher thrust, they'll be flat rated, which isn't all bad as the aircraft will have a bit better thrust curve at altitude (big if).

On 10/1/2022 at 9:46 PM, mkellytx said:

Why do you expect more? 

Only because over the decades I've noticed that most of the time an aircraft gets an engine upgrade, there's an increase in power too, albeit sometimes requiring de-rating for airframe stress or other issues like those you mention. It's not so common to see the same thrust rating is all !! Sometimes that increase is mild, sometimes wild!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

seeing the C130 is now a official WIP module, is  pushing the envelop. Will now have a 4 engined aircraft in DCS 

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

B-52D/G/H Crewdog here. Would like to see all three models I flew developed. I'm a also a retired software developer. If someone needs a SME and developer in one, I would be glad to do it to honor those of us who flew her in combat.

50454642_248110889416509_3374499845338300416_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t get my hopes up:

https://youtu.be/KHWzMy_D1Bw?si=-8N2khcnxVHmjy6J?t=660

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.