DCS freezes, PC reboots

Geezer66

I'm new to windows so I ask, how to find the dcs.log, to post  here?

My install  of DCS Open beta is 2.7.1 xxxx (can't open it at the moment) and it was running OK prior to the update to 2.7.1.7139

When I start DCS Open beta now, it appears to be doing it's thing, but then the primary monitor,  (left of a 23"/30"/24" - 3 monitor set up) goes black and Windows eventually reboots, if I wait it out.

Can I post my log and maybe someone can tell me if it's me or the update?

FYI ,  DCS stable 2.5.6.61527.3 works just fine and will stay at  2.5.6 until this issue can be sorted 😞

Mac Pro 5,1 (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB RAM - Radeon RX 590

Mac OS X 10.15 - Bootcamp - Windows 10 - 2 x SSD 1TB - T16000M HOTAS - DCS World & Open Beta - Operator still a newbie

11 hours ago, Flappie said:

Hi @MNissen. Your dcs.log file is located here: "C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs\dcs.log". The file may show up as "dcs".

Thank you Flappie, looking at that path, it's face-plant, obvious 🤪  but as I say, I'm new to Windows, Macs, not so much.

So anyway for those who may be interested here's the DCS.log

I have done a repair/clean and repair again, of the install and it still, just starts to open, goes to a black screen and stays dead. Cheers if anyone can fathom it.

I had a quick look at the log and it looks to be full of errors and warnings, but I am not educated enough, to understand which of these is important, or fixable.

dcs.log

Mac Pro 5,1 (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB RAM - Radeon RX 590

Mac OS X 10.15 - Bootcamp - Windows 10 - 2 x SSD 1TB - T16000M HOTAS - DCS World & Open Beta - Operator still a newbie

49 minutes ago, MNissen said:

I have done a repair/clean and repair again, of the install and it still, just starts to open, goes to a black screen and stays dead. Cheers if anyone can fathom it.

I had a quick look at the log and it looks to be full of errors and warnings.

Looks like DCS has trouble getting at a lot of your files. Make sure that your antivirus isn't erroneously flagging them as infected .. you could check the antivirus log to see if this has happened, or better yet, add the /Eagle Dynamics/DCS/ path to your antivirus exclusion list. Then you would still need to run a repair, to restore any file that the antivirus might have quarantined.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Indeed. Here are the 2 worst errors, in my opinion:

2021-06-13 06:11:57.203 ERROR   Lua::Config: load error Config/main.cfg:[string "Config/terrain.lua"]:2: attempt to concatenate local 'visibRange' (a nil value)
2021-06-13 06:13:10.872 ALERT   Dispatcher: Error starting Game GUI: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/TableUtils.lua"]:3: assertion failed!

Try this:

1. Delete "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Config" folder
  2. Delete "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\MissionEditor" folder
  3. Run another DCS repair. Ensure you choose "slow".

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Gentlemen thank you very much, I will boot into Win 10 and do as you suggest, I'll report back in a few hours.

I guess that if there's still a big problem, I might have to do an uninstall/reinstall

Edited by MNissen

I gave the whole C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics  folder and the whole saved games folder,  exceptions in the anti virus, I deleted the directories as noted in Flappie's post and then did the slow repair.

I opened DCS Open Beta and after about 20 minutes it was still stuck on the black screen,  I looked in Task Manager and it was using CPU and GPU but no disk or network.

I'm going to reboot to see if that helps.

Then I'll uninstall - reinstall.

Here's the log - again I don't know what's relevant or important, but it looks all buggered up to me.

dcs.log

don't uninstall the game, if its a new fresh install just leave it alone.  if u do have mods feel free to redownload and new install.

to try fix ur black screen just rename ur savegames dcs and let the game make a new one, it may work for u.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Thanks Will, I tried that and it did make a new saved games/dcs open beta folder, but still with the black screen.

Time for flamethrowers at dawn...

I'll uninstall - reinstall.

Flappie, thank you, I did not have Corsair iCUE installed, though I did have several 3rd party mods.

After a clinical uninstall and complete reinstall, 2.7.1 Open Beta is now functioning as before, that is,  OK for a Beta.

It took most of the day to re-download my purchased Mods and Terrains, but in the end it's all back.

Thank you to all who replied and helped with this.

Notes:  3rd party mods in situ, the problem didn't arise until the 2.7.1.7139 update. A complete reinstall appears to have worked to remedy the issue. I do have another issue with 2.7.xxx in that - sea textures do not function correctly but I'll address that in another post, in the correct bug thread, shortly. See image below.

DcsWorld271.jpg

new post at:

Edited by MNissen

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2021 at 4:35 PM, MNissen said:

It took most of the day to re-download my purchased Mods and Terrains, but in the end it's all back

ah yes mods... i am only using OB that's it.  if using mods sometimes a fresh install is needed. i was presuming no mods, what does the sea look like in just OB w/ no mods?

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.