How much can it take !!

So last night I was flying the mission in Enemy within. The one were you attack the ship...then get into a dog fight L-39s. So I sunk the ship killed the terrorist leader, then get told by Overlord there are bandits inbound. So I put the hawg into air to air mode and started swiveling my head around running threw my head my plan on how I am even going to ACM in this thing ( I have never been in a dog fight in the A-10)....well, I didn't get the chance. right as I looked over my left shoulder I saw a contrail. Then BANG! the plane instantly rolled over onto its back and into a dive.  I stood on the right rudder out of instinct which stopped the roll right side up. I only had a moment to notice literally everything was out and I mean everything. I looked over my shoulder again and saw another contrail. I let off the rudder let the Hawg roll onto its back and fall into a steep dive. After a few seconds I was sure I evaded that missile. I stood on the rudder got it out of the dive and kind of expected the mission was over. To my suprize I was still flying but I thought I was about to get killed anyway. there is no way I could fight in this wreck... the one L-39 flew right over me no HUD but  I hear my sidewinder buzz with a good tone. so I fired. The missile came off the rail and SLASH. I looked around to see the other L-39 trying to get into  a good fire position....when my wing man hits him with his own sidewinder!

..... I some how just won this fight with a severely crippled plane. I looked around and realized I had no navigation no speed or ALT indicators HUD was out even my compass by the HUD was cocked sideways. I had to turn off the HCMS because the pitch ladder was spinning and disorientating me. II looked out, half the left wing was gone and the left engine was peppered with shrapnel damage. the right wing was missing the tip of the wing and the pitot tube, had a giant hole in the wing. It was still flying but if I throttled back at all I got the  stall warning and the landing gear handle would flash. I had thought about just punching out and reflying the mission. I looked out and saw the coast....wwaaaaaay over there and thought "hmmm I wonder if I can make it back to kobuleti ". So I limped back. not knowing how high or fast or even what direction I was pointing. I had to visually fly it. I made 5 descending left hand turns to get lined up on the run way and where I felt low enough, I was flying sideways because the rudder was at full right  deflection hence the left hand turns and when I dropped the gear I got no lights one way or the other indicating the gear was up or down....no AOA.... I could have F2 to look...but where the fun in that ?!! so I came in fast, I could feel it as I passed over the threshold. touched down and the plane cocked over on its side...only one belly gear deployed...or didn't collapse I didn't know which, sliding along the runway I kept expecting to explode any moment as I went off and into the grass. When I came to a stop. I looked around and thought to my self " WOW....now this is why I play DCS !!!"

Like holyshit. I don't know how realistic it was. I know the A10 can take a pounding but I have never taken a missile in any of the other modules and not immediately get introduced to the re fly screen. This is why I can no longer play Ace combat anymore. and why for all my gripes about DCS I keep coming back!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great read! I agree those sorts of missions are amazing when you bring her back home even with alot of damage. But this is also the thing that bugs me about dcs, you dont get any reward for saving yourself or the airplane, just load the mission again and try it all over. There is no consequence of failure or reward for success. Hopefully when the DC arrives whenever, things will change. 

• Like 1

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

Albatros has small IR missiles, many aircrafts can survive such a hit. A-10 has probably the most complex damge model in DCS, so it can "simulate" systems failure, not "whole plane" state of damage 0-1.
I did survive hits in some other planes, but of course A-10 can survive most, I think.

• Like 1

In an MP mission I once got hit by two low digit SAMs; might have been from an SA-9. Managed to limp back from Tshkinvali all the way to Tbilisi. Meanwhile I had partly broken comms with our C2 guy, who kept telling the other flights that the A-10s were all gone. Apparently DCS registered my plane as dead and it didn't show on the F10 map. Well, I managed a fairly survivable belly landing some 20 or 30 minutes later. Certainly a Kim Campbell type of moment. 😄

• Like 2

On 6/16/2021 at 5:47 AM, mastersetter said:

Great read! I agree those sorts of missions are amazing when you bring her back home even with alot of damage. But this is also the thing that bugs me about dcs, you dont get any reward for saving yourself or the airplane, just load the mission again and try it all over. There is no consequence of failure or reward for success. Hopefully when the DC arrives whenever, things will change. 

I know I sat there a moment feeling like I should have unlocked an achievement or something lol. I have landed some banged up planes before but she was barely aerodynamically a plane by the time I touched down.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheOtherSider said:

I know I sat there a moment feeling like I should have unlocked an achievement or something lol. I have landed some banged up planes before but she was barely aerodynamically a plane by the time I touched down.

LOL .... Nice job well done OP!

re: acheivement unlocks ... I'm of the opinion to leave these for the more arcade titles. Now, sadly I guess I ought state that in no way am saying anything other than straight up calling out the difference, as I see it,  between what DCS is and what other titles are ... there's no judgement or scorn intended nor should such be assumed. 

That said, I fully get your sentiments and have no disagreements with you .... yet, the OP's experience essentially IS that recognition or unlock achievement isn't it. Enough the share the story (thank you) and offer a good read to the rest of us who possible have had our own experiences or surely eventually will.

S!

Edited by JokerMan
  • Like 1