Map Zoom/Scale change?

Rhinozherous

Hello!

I saw a few videos now on youtube where the pilot can change to a more detailed map, so to say "zoom in",

When I use the right scale knob I just get a black picture instead of the more detailed map.

How do we get this to work?

Example of a video where he zooms in:

https://youtu.be/F4vRTTm9jmw

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Last night, at some areas of the map (I think it was around Beslan) I got black screen too.

But for example around Kutaisi, I got detailed view.

• Thanks 1

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

As I understand It will depend on if there is a zoom texture for that part of the map. Same for the planes with moving maps, If you Zoom in to much it will go black sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i7-9700K || GTX 1080 Ti || 32Gig 3200 RAM || 1TB NVME & 1TB SSD || X56, Track IR, CH Pro Rudder Pedals

Yep same here. Black picture. Syria, Instant Action mission fire range. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Everywhere I've flown on the Syria map has it go black when zoomed in. The Caucuses seems to work fine. I haven't tried NTTR or Persian Gulf yet.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

1 hour ago, Devrim said:

Last night, at some areas of the map (I think it was around Beslan) I got black screen too.

But for example around Kutaisi, I got detailed view.

What I noticed, for some maps (or parts) it works for some black screen, perhaps EA ....

1 hour ago, Sheepy said:

As I understand It will depend on if there is a zoom texture for that part of the map. Same for the planes with moving maps, If you Zoom in to much it will go black sometimes.

Here you have only 2 size, normal picture of map and closer.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'm sorry if this was asked before, but maybe someone knows:

1. Would pilots IRL replace maps (on the "moving map" device) during the flight? Seems bothersome a bit (though doable, I guess).
2. How come the plotter aligns automatically when you change scale? You can check this even if one of the maps is all black, doesn't matter. Fly away from the plotter's center position, switch scale back and forth and the plotter jumps.

It just... how can such a device work like this? It looks like a simple (smart but simple) plotter driven by DISS, nothing else.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

• 1 year later...

I have found something even more strange in the instant action mission for Hind, the one where you have to provide air support for troops advancing on the H4 airbase on the Syria map. When I switch the map zoom, I can see zoomed view for just a bit of second, and then the map goes black.

Edited by JetJake76

12 hours ago, JetJake76 said:

I have found something even more strange in the instant action mission for Hind, the on where you have to provide air support for troops advancing on the H4 airbase on the Syria map. When I switch the map zoom, I can see zoomed view for just a bit of second, ant then the map goes black.

Progress!!!!!

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I suspect that's because it first zooms in on the regular map as a placeholder, and then tries and fails to load the proper zoomed in one.

And yes, IRL the pilot would have paper maps cut into appropriate squares, and when reaching the edge of one, would swap them out by hand and reset the pointer. I suspect most of the time the map would be prepared to show just the relevant mission area, though, as to avoid messing with it. The scale would also be set at the start of the mission, to match the area in question, and then left alone for the rest of it.

On 7/10/2022 at 12:43 PM, Dragon1-1 said:

I suspect that's because it first zooms in on the regular map as a placeholder, and then tries and fails to load the proper zoomed in one.

And yes, IRL the pilot would have paper maps cut into appropriate squares, and when reaching the edge of one, would swap them out by hand and reset the pointer. I suspect most of the time the map would be prepared to show just the relevant mission area, though, as to avoid messing with it. The scale would also be set at the start of the mission, to match the area in question, and then left alone for the rest of it.

Depends, there’s a section in the manual for using the map. Tells pilots how to cut the right shaped pieces, align them, and best practices in changing them. It says if you have a landmark to use as an “alignment,” you can change it however you want. I’m sure some could use the large 220 km wide map for main flight, find a landmark near the edge, then change to the smaller 44 km map for final leg. Up to how much work the pilot is willing to do lol 

• Thanks 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg