Gladiator vs. Gunfighter vs. Gunfighter Ultimate switches?

dporter22

I'm looking at upgrading to a VKB stick (that's if they'll ever be in stock), but am confused about the differences and options with the hat switches.  

Sorry if this has been covered, but could someone please specifically explain what is included with each regarding hat switches, mini sticks, which can be changed or not, which can function as a hat switch if you press them, etc.?  I will be using it for the A-10 and F-16, so I need solid hat switches and have no use for mini sticks.

The Gladiator says it comes with a mini stick which can be pressed to make it a hat switch, or a physical hat switch can replace the mini stick by taking the entire stick apart.  Is this correct?

The Gunfighter appears to have two mini sticks and a hat switch.  Does pressing the mini sticks change them to hat switches, and can either/both of them be replaced with hat switches.  According to the description it appears not.

The Gunfighter Ultimate appears to be the same as the Gunfighter with two mini sticks and a hat switch, but it says a replaceable ministick module and hat switch module are included.  Does this mean only one of the mini sticks can be replaced with the one included hat switch module?  And does pressing the mini sticks change them to hat switches like on the Gladiator?

• Like 2

Just to clarify - there are 2 VKB systems/lines: GunFighter and NXT. Gladiator NXT comes with a SCG grip and the grip is not swappable. The GunFighter is just the base, on top of which you'll need a grip: SCG/Kosmosima (Premium: 7 buttons, 3 HATs, 1 ministick ), MCG Pro/Ultimate (8 buttons, 3 HATs, 2 ministicks, 1 foldable trigger, 1 hand brake lever), F-14 (7 buttons, 1 HAT, 1 DLC wheel, 4 position switch, KG12 (3 buttons, 1 HAT). 

All HATS mentioned above come with 5 positions (with center push), except the one on the KG12, which doesn't have center push.

SCG Premium grips are coming with an extra HAT which could replace the ministick.

MCG Ultimate comes with 2 extra 5 ways HATs which could replace the 2 ministicks.

The ministicks are working in 2 modes: POV and axes. Transition from a mode to another is through the center push button.

The difference between the ministicks and HAT switches is that the last ones are gated; the ministicks feels like the ones on the gamepads. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry, I didn't clarify.  I'm interested in the Gladiator or Gunfighter MkIII Modern Combat Edition or the Gunfighter MkIII Modern Combat Edition Ultimate.  I don't see an MCG Pro on the website.

So the Gunfighter MkIII MCG does not come with any hat switches to replace the mini sticks, but the Gunfighter MkIII MCG Ultimate comes with two, correct?  Therefore I would need the Gladiator Premium or the MCG Ultimate if I want all hat switches and no mini sticks, correct?

And is it correct that the tops of the hats and mini sticks can be removed and swapped onto either, or are they permanently attached?

Thanks

MCG = M(odern) C(ombat) G(rip) 🙂 

The MCG Ultimate is the same shape with the MCG Pro, but with metal body with rubber inserts, swappable ministicks/HATs, upgraded components. 

If you want only HAT switches these are the qualifying grips: SCG Standard (on either NXT or GunFighter base), SCG Premium (on either NXT or GunFighter base; comes by default with a ministick which could get replaced with an included HAT switch), MCG Ultimate (pnly with a GunFighter base, comes by default with 2 ministicks which could get swapped with 2 included HAT switches).

2 hours ago, dporter22 said:

And is it correct that the tops of the hats and mini sticks can be removed and swapped onto either, or are they permanently attached?

I posted 2 links in my first post, check them both to see how to swap ministicks/HAT switches on SCG and MCG Ultimate grips.

Thanks.  My last question though was whether the tops of the hats and mini sticks (not the module, the part that you actually manipulate with your thumb) are removable and swappable.

Also, if you've happened to have used both, what's the difference between the Gladiator base and the Gunfighter base, and is the there a noticeable difference in performance for the extra cost?

The caps are removable and swappable, but just between the same kind of parts: ministicks to ministicks and HAT switches to HAT switches.

Gladiator NXT base is reinforced plastic with a pincher mechanism and only 3 types of springs to adjust it; it is designed to have an unswappable grip. GunFighter base is all metal, accepts all VKB grips, comes with 4 sets of cams that could be swapped and 5 sets of springs of different strength that could be installed 1 or 2 per cam, offering lots of combinations for fine adjustment of the base response. Here's overhauling the NXT base vs taking the GunFighter base apart

• Thanks 1

just want to throw my two cents in... mcg ultimate on the gunfighter is the best stick/gimbal combo out there, imo. mcg ulti has a way better feel than the mcg pro. and the clutches/dampers in the gunfighter base set it apart from other options.

now if only vkb would make an f-14 ultimate..

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Munkwolf said:

just want to throw my two cents in... mcg ultimate on the gunfighter is the best stick/gimbal combo out there, imo. mcg ulti has a way better feel than the mcg pro. and the clutches/dampers in the gunfighter base set it apart from other options.

now if only vkb would make an f-14 ultimate..

Fully agree.

Gunfighter Pro combined with the Ultimate Grip is an awesome combo, best I have owned to date and I have been doing this for many years.

Highly customizable and top notch quality parts. They are great in the support department as well.

• Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 12:56 PM, admiki said:

Totaly agree on clutches. I fly only helicopters, and using light spring (to prevent my MCGU on 200 mm extension to flop over), I am using it as force trim. Stick stays in place, no matter where I leave it.

May I ask which springs and cams you installed? I fly with same hardware.

Darkstar: Merged

40 minutes ago, horstweihrauch said:

May I ask which springs and cams you installed? I fly with same hardware.

Initially, it was single #20 spring-per-axis and AVIA-S cams( more force toward the end to counteract heavier gravity pull on grip). After I put Nyogel, had to reduce to #10 springs

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, horstweihrauch said:

Thank you 😊  I will use this as a reference as soon as my collective arrives. Currently I am using #50 springs with h-cam on pitch and s-cam on roll for the fixed wings.

Did Nyogel make any improvement?

NP. I should probably say that I fly helicopters only.

Not really, since I have already cleaned clutches before Nyogel arrived to get rid of stiction. Not wipping them clean, but just remove some of that sticky factory stuff. Then I put some silicone grease with factory grease and it worked great. If I knew, I would never put Nyogel. It's not Nyogel's fault though

• Thanks 1