A AAR Visual Aid Concept

Tank50us

15 minutes ago, Exorcet said:

If you don't practice you'll never get a chance to see the assist. No one is saying to not practice.

The same people who won’t practice with the game as it is now also wouldn’t practice with added graphics. So it’s a lost cause. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

29 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

The same people who won’t practice with the game as it is now also wouldn’t practice with added graphics. So it’s a lost cause. 

There is no real basis for this. I'm sure the tutorials and learning material in DCS increase player retention.

• Thanks 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

8 minutes ago, Exorcet said:

There is no real basis for this. I'm sure the tutorials and learning material in DCS increase player retention.

There are players who have the fortitude and/or skill to learn this and those who don’t or aren’t willing to put in the effort. Whether you’re keeping formation with another aircraft or a green rectangle doesn’t matter. It’s the same skill. As for tutorials, this task is 10% instruction and 90% hard work. Those who aren’t willing to do the work won’t benefit from any training aids at all. 

We’ve got 13 pages of griping and complaining on two threads about “DCS is too hard make it easier” on a topic that ED already said they have no plans for. Give it up already… 🙄

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

7 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

The problem isn’t the reference.

Then your continued input on the matter is not needed.

This thread is about discussing how such helper systems could be designed — “not at all” is completely useless and worthless as a contribution to that discussion.

If you can't actually stay on topic and discuss what would make it better, maybe go troll somewhere else.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• ED Team

if you have given your feedback I would suggest moving on. 

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

So, now, after months of attempting, and failing to just link up with the tanker, I've finally managed to do it:

image.png

(yes, that is my F-16, with me at the controls, as seen from one of my squadron mates who talked me into position).

20210829183414_1.jpg

(my POV, as you can see the line-up lights are not very easy to see, which made things even more difficult then they should've been)

How did I manage it? Well, simple, I had one of my Squadron mates use the games camera systems to position himself in the same view the 135s Boom Operator would have, and talk me in, and even then, it was a struggle. Now, before anyone says "Now you can stop griping", I will just say that this was done on a multiplayer server with someone who knew how to refuel much better than anyone else talking me in. Not everyone who plays DCS has this luxury because people want to treat them with the same attitude as the one character from the Simpsons.

The UI elements I mentioned at the start of this thread would've helped immensely, especially since just before this, someone with a less capable PC than my own was having a hard time seeing the line-up lights on the tanker, and he only managed to pull it off because he was talked into the proper position.

I would like to add that this view should be something made available for tankers, especially for this purpose. Would you guys agree?

Edited by Tank50us
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tank50us said:

I would like to add that this view should be something made available for tankers, especially for this purpose. Would you guys agree?

Well, no 🙂

Personally I don't like, don't use and don't need overlay helpers (I also never liked the IFLOLS overlay in the Hornet, or the controller position helpers in helo's). In VR I think these overlays are more of a distraction than aid.

By the way, the line up lights are barely visible irl too (as someone probably already mentioned in this thread).

But congrats on your first plug!! Must have been a rewarding feel. From here on it'll only get easier. Practice makes perfect :thumbup:

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

10 minutes ago, sirrah said:

But congrats on your first plug!! Must have been a rewarding feel. From here on it'll only get easier. Practice makes perfect

Thanks.

The overlay I mentioned would be something that is an option if it were up to me, if ya don't want it on either because you don't need it, or because it's too distracting (which if you saw the concept, it may not be). However, the view I mentioned in this post is just the same as the one for the Super Carrier where someone can 'sit in the seat', and provide instructions to help the pilot trying to link up with their lineup.

Don't think that overlay would help, it would just be a distraction. And it would teach people refueling the wrong way, there is no overlay in in real aviation

Good job on your first refuel tho! Now keep it up, and practice, it keeps getting easier and easier as you do it more and more, just like driving a car.