Andersen end lights/extended centerline lights give wrong Active RWY

Nealius

On 06L/24R the runway end lights (red/green) and extended centerline lights are indicating an active 180-degrees off the wind, giving tailwinds. 06L has red runway end lights. 24R has green runway end lights. Both 06L and 24R extended centerline lights "move" in the direction of 240. 

Mission wind is set 055 (from). Confirmed by the windsocks at 06L and 06R. Active is therefore 06L/R, not 24L/R as indicated by the lights.

06R/24L have the correct runway end lights for the wind, but the extended centerline lights still "move" in the direction of 240, conflicting with the runway end lights.

Easily checked with this simple night mission.

Marianas Sandbox Night.miz

Edited by Nealius

The wind is not a factor in any of this.

Runway 06R sequenced flasher direction already reported.

Is the runway end light issue the same as this?

Everybody said: "That's impossible!" Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Flying the A-10C for the 107th Joint Aviation Squadron

Developing and creating missions for Through The Inferno

Join the TTI Discord

Possibly. I was under the impression the runway end lights switched the green/red position to indicate which is the active, i.e. if you approach the active you will have a green runway end light; if you approach from opposite the active you will have a red runway end light. 

No. Runway end lights are always red when looking at them from the runway, and green when looking at them from the approach. They do not switch colors.

From the AIM, Chapter 2, Section 1:

The lights marking the ends of the runway emit red light toward the runway to indicate the end of runway to a departing aircraft and emit green outward from the runway end to indicate the threshold to landing aircraft.

• Like 1

Everybody said: "That's impossible!" Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Join the TTI Discord

A few of them are wrong oriented.  (coupled with the approach lights it seems.)

known bug.

dUJOta.jpg

Windows 11 | i9 12900KF | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | TM MFDs + Lilliput 8" | TIR5 Pro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Extended centerline still appears to give wrong active in 2.7.8:

Arrivals typically appear to be 24L, departures 06L (educated guess from photos and videos; official documentation only says 06 departure 24 arrival without specifying R or L).

In DCS the extended centerline is always showing 24R arrival 06R departure, while the ATC tells you to depart 06L (denies clearance if you enter 06R).

11 hours ago, Nealius said:

Extended centerline still appears to give wrong active in 2.7.8:

Arrivals typically appear to be 24L, departures 06L (educated guess from photos and videos; official documentation only says 06 departure 24 arrival without specifying R or L).

In DCS the extended centerline is always showing 24R arrival 06R departure, while the ATC tells you to depart 06L (denies clearance if you enter 06R).

Excuse me but what are you talking about? The "extended centerline" (I assume you mean the approach lighting systems) has nothing to do with showing arrivals and departures.

Join the TTI Discord

Found the proper term (I think): Approach Strobes. These change with active runway in other maps like Syria, but I do not see them change at Andersen. The Approach Strobes lead-in to 06R and 24R only, and never change. 

Perhaps that's normal. I'm still trying to find documentation explaining when to use L vs R runways, or if it's just a random choice. 

Edited by Nealius

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

Found the proper term (I think): Approach Strobes. These change with active runway in other maps like Syria, but I do not see them change at Andersen. The Approach Strobes lead-in to 06R and 24R only, and never change. 

Perhaps that's normal. I'm still trying to find documentation explaining when to use L vs R runways, or if it's just a random choice. 

Andersen only has sequenced flashing lights aka. "strobes" installed for runways 06R and 24R, as part of the ALSF-1 approach lighting systems for those runways. Runways 6L and 24L have simpler approach lighting systems without sequenced flashers. And just like in Syria, on the MI map all airport lighting is turned on 24/7. You are probably mistaken when you say you've seen them turn on or off or even change directions. They always flash in sequence towards the runway. All the time. No matter what runway is picked by the AI ATC.

• Like 1

Join the TTI Discord