Unable to fire HARM in SP Pullback when in A/A mode

ZBoT
Go to solution Solved by Tholozor,

The F/A-18C manual states that HARM Pullback mode works in either A/A or A/G modes:

Pullback mode will activate regardless of master mode (A/A or A/G) if the HRM OVRD option is unboxed. If in A/A mode when Pullback is activated, a trigger press will still launch the selected air-to-air weapon. 

I'm unable to pickle a HARM in A/A mode though.  I have the following set:

Master Arm = On

A/A mode = selected

HARM Override = unboxed

When a critical threat is detected I get HARM in the HUD (with no X).  I press the pickle button but no HARM is fired.  I have to switch to A/G to be able to fire.

Can anyone confirm they are able to shoot HARM from SP pullback mode when in A/A mode?  If so anyone know what I am doing wrong?  Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Windows 10 x64 | i5-9600K | ASUS RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 256GB & 1TB SSD | GIGABYTE Z390 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Virpil WarBRD | Slaw RX Viper v2 | TrackIR 5 | Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC

1 hour ago, ZBoT said:

The F/A-18C manual states that HARM Pullback mode works in either A/A or A/G modes:

I'm unable to pickle a HARM in A/A mode though.  I have the following set:

Master Arm = On

A/A mode = selected

HARM Override = unboxed

When a critical threat is detected I get HARM in the HUD (with no X).  I press the pickle button but no HARM is fired.  I have to switch to A/G to be able to fire.

Can anyone confirm they are able to shoot HARM from SP pullback mode when in A/A mode?  If so anyone know what I am doing wrong?  Thanks!

Currently, you have to switch to A/G mode, at least that's what I've experienced.

It should work across all master modes.

• Like 1

Just now, Gripes323 said:

Currently, you have to switch to A/G mode, at least that's what I've experienced.

It should work across all master modes.

Thanks for confirming.  Thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

Windows 10 x64 | i5-9600K | ASUS RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 256GB & 1TB SSD | GIGABYTE Z390 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Virpil WarBRD | Slaw RX Viper v2 | TrackIR 5 | Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC

• 2 years later...

I know this is a bit of an old post but it works now. The unfortunate part is I can't box harm override so I'm forced to shoot off my harms before I'm able to fire at an enemy jet. It blows my mind how simple <profanity> like this takes years to get right. Let me box harm override FFS!!

• Like 1

I know this is a bit of an old post but it works now. The unfortunate part is I can't box harm override so I'm forced to shoot off my harms before I'm able to fire at an enemy jet. It blows my mind how simple like this takes years to get right. Let me box harm override FFS!!
Just last night I was in A/A gun and fire my HARM...

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

I know this is a bit of an old post but it works now. The unfortunate part is I can't box harm override so I'm forced to shoot off my harms before I'm able to fire at an enemy jet. It blows my mind how simple like this takes years to get right. Let me box harm override FFS!!
Wait, in A/A it's trigger to fire weapons, the HARM should have no effect.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

@Hulkbust44 You are correct, I have a dual stage trigger which is weapon release then trigger. I've had this issue for years now and just figured this out lmao RIP. I will try to swap the sequence hopefully it doesn't mad dog a 120 or I will have to find a new way to bind my trigger.

• Like 1

• Solution
2 hours ago, oldcrusty said:

To add more to this fun, currently I can change the status of HARM OVRD from A/A mode... just doesn't show it there.  It's always unboxed in A/A but if you press it and switch to A/G, you'll see it changed so why not show the 'box' in A/A also?

HRM OVRD is forced off in A/A Master Mode, this is intentional so the pilot can use HARMs in Self-Protect without switching modes.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

9 hours ago, Tholozor said:

HRM OVRD is forced off in A/A Master Mode, this is intentional so the pilot can use HARMs in Self-Protect without switching modes.

So cluttering up the stores display in A/A with unnecessary options is also intentional?  If HARM's SP mode is not forcing any displays on DDIs in A/A why even show OVRD option there?

So cluttering up the stores display in A/A with unnecessary options is also intentional?  If HARM's SP mode is not forcing any displays on DDIs in A/A why even show OVRD option there?
How one DDI label at the bottom right of the STORES and EW pages is not cluttering. The intent is to always keep the pilot informed of the status of the HARM Pullback setting, regardless of the mode.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

13 hours ago, rob10 said:

What Harker said, and with the computing power they would have had when F-18 was 1st designed it would probably have been easier to leave it the same than make it change anyway.

😉 I'm OK with leftover decorations. As I mentioned in my previous post the HARM OVR in A/A mode is actually 'active' in current OB. We can change the on/off status without any visual feedback ( a BOX).  You can see it changed by switching to A/G mode.