Screen flicker

vfa132

Suddenly while in flight in DCS 2.7.3 and while viewing the cockpit the entire screen, including the surrounding terrain, started to flicker heavily. The aircraft flies and operates normally (except the internal view zoom function is gone) and there is no flicker in the external view. I've closed/opened DCS, rebooted Windows 10, changed missions (including add-ons, on the ground, and aboard ship), changed locations, run the DCS repair function, and uninstalled/reinstalled the F18 module. This happens only with the F18 -- other aircraft are normal.

I'd like to fix this without going through the long DCS uninstall/reinstall only to find that the problem is still there. Any ideas?

• ED Team

Hi,

please attach your dcs log, if possible a short track replay showing it happen so we can try to reproduce.

Please ensure your windows is up to date, all drivers and display driver. 

I have moved to main bugs section

Remove any unofficial mods, run a slow repair of DCS or verify if steam

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@vfa132Your track shows something funny is happening with the zoom view going back and forth at a high frequency. I've seen the exact same symptoms here:

Please check your Zoom View controls (axis and buttons).

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I have the keyboard * / connected to HOTAS for slow zoom. I have attached another track file showing the effect of those keys (no effect) on the slow zoom and the effect using the Rshift  / * for normal zoom (enlarged flicker) as well as the effect of those same keys when applied in an external view (they work). I also removed the HOTAS link with no change.

F18 flicker-2.trk

Then maybe it's a headtracker issue? I found this in your log file:

2021-07-18 19:54:27.496 INFO    NET: Network: failed to read track headers: Chunk is not present: track_data/network_header

Do you have or had any kind of headtracker? Have you ever installed a Track-IR alternative?

You second track shows approximately the same thing as the first one. It's like a forbidden show for epileptics. But as soon as I take control of the aircraft, the view issue stops.

Let's make another test to be sure: play the attached track. You should not get any issue, until you hit "Escape", then click "Take control".

F18 free flight.trk

I have TrackIr but have not used it recently. I uninstalled it and nothing changed.

The first of my attached track files (-3) is playing back your track file. The flickering started spontaneously with no key entries. The other track (-3a) is another playback of your track file. When I made the key entries the aircraft went into a death spiral.

I ran the sim in VR. No flickering. When I restarted in flat screen it still flickered.

F18 flicker-3.trk F18 flicker-3a.trk

This is more and more intriguing. I still don't get flickering when replaying your last tracks. And from my point of view, I only see the crazy zoom issue in "F 18 flicker-3a track".

And from whay I understand, you always see both issues when you take control of an aircraft. I've just asked your friend of misery to share his log so we can look for a pattern, because I have no clue what's happening to you.

To add a little bit of mystery: he only has this issue with the Bf-109, and you only have it with the Hornet. 🧐

Please try this:

1. Go to C:\Users\username\Saved Games\
  2. Rename your "DCS" (or "DCS.openbeta") folder as "DCS_backup" so the game cannot find it (do NOT delete this folder: it contains all your custom controls).
  3. Try to reproduce the issue.

That fixed it. No flicker but all the controls in all aircraft are returned to default. I guess it created a new module using info from the DCS World OpenBeta folder that's on my SSD?

I think the flicker problem is definitely related to the zoom function. For some reason the zoom started working while flickering and sometimes would stabilize zoomed until suddenly it flicked to normal zoom. Could be something related to my F18 control setup, but the problem continued with my HOTAS zoom functions removed and just using the basic key functions. And there have been no zoom issues with other aircraft.

Can I recover the controls settings?

@vfa132 Great! Yes, you can retrieve your custom controls from your previous "DCS_backup" folder, but just don't use these F-18 old custom controls ever again., because I'm pretty sure they were the source of your issue. The other guy having this strange issue, Mister Doodads, fixed this using the same trick.

• 1 year later...

I have very same problem since July or something like that. At ~45 000 feets whole screen starts to "blink". Sometimes if I just keep flying with that blinking (black flashes..) it even gives blue screen on windows, sometimes. I have tested at every setting, and no change. I wonder is it something with loading terrain to memory  / retrieving stuff from memory? My computer is kinda old, but I have 4gb of GPU memory and 16gb DDR3, (i5 haswell 4960k, 3,5ghz / 1600mhz (mem)). GPU is NVIDIA GTX 960 4gb. DCS runs on "high" settings + flat shadows + 4x msaa = ~25-30 fps (yes crappy but enough for me this time). Still same problem yesterday at my friends computer, he plays CSS as professional, and even with his powerpacked gaming pc, same blinkig starts at very same altitudes. Has somebody ANY way to make this, if not go away, but better... ? Has anyone yet any clue, wtf is this? EDIT: trying that folder renaming, i will report if it works. Still, it would be very interesting to know what causes this. My friend tried that, and even finally copied WHOLE old directory, overwriting the new one DCS made. And still the problem is away. Is there somekind of file that dcs update/at updating dcs software needs to create, that is not on the old directory, and which is not created by updater if folder exists? Seems something like this, because i cant explain why problem stays away even after merging new folder totally with old one. Weird. And thanks. 

Edited by Wiggo

25 minutes ago, Wiggo said:

EDIT: trying that folder renaming, i will report if it works. Still, it would be very interesting to know what causes this. My friend tried that, and even finally copied WHOLE old directory, overwriting the new one DCS made. And still the problem is away. Is there somekind of file that dcs update/at updating dcs software needs to create, that is not on the old directory, and which is not created by updater if folder exists? Seems something like this, because i cant explain why problem stays away even after merging new folder totally with old one. Weird. And thanks.

there are two groups of folders. one is what people call the main DCS install folder. in my case it is "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\". You can see where your folder is by looking at the properties of your DCS shortcut. This folder only changes when you update DCS. Anything that gets changed here will be replaced by the update process and a backup is created in the same folder. the other set of folders is found at %userprofile%\saved games. at first run of game a DCS folder is created here. it contains all your personal files like options, controls for aircraft, saved missions, tracks, etc. a troubleshooting step is to rename this folder and run DCS to recreate a fresh folder. have you looked into your video card settings outside of DCS? what card do you have?

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Yes, i know 🙂Well that folder thing did not work whatsoever. I noticed that this has been problem for many ppl, many videos on youtube, since 2.5 and still no really solution for it. Great. 😮 I Think it might be some old shader or something.. Some ppl have same problem only with mirrors on (on youtube, and ED forums), some while flying over water, but always at high alts. Goddam I need new GPU.  Maby I´ll try one more time without copying ANYTHING from old folder. (though i did not copy anything besides mods, and control setup). Weird also that for different ppl different things have helped with that. Some deleting metashaders, some this save folder "remake" etc etc.. Have ED said anything about this..?  And @silverdevil still thanks for advice 🙂 Ps. My card is NVidia GTX 960 4gb... (old, but fast for old.)

Edited by Wiggo

2 hours ago, Wiggo said:

Yes, i know 🙂Well that folder thing did not work whatsoever. I noticed that this has been problem for many ppl, many videos on youtube, since 2.5 and still no really solution for it. Great. 😮 I Think it might be some old shader or something.. Some ppl have same problem only with mirrors on (on youtube, and ED forums), some while flying over water, but always at high alts. Goddam I need new GPU.  Maby I´ll try one more time without copying ANYTHING from old folder. (though i did not copy anything besides mods, and control setup). Weird also that for different ppl different things have helped with that. Some deleting metashaders, some this save folder "remake" etc etc.. Have ED said anything about this..?  And @silverdevil still thanks for advice 🙂 Ps. My card is NVidia GTX 960 4gb... (old, but fast for old.)

hello wiggo. i have another suggestion. open your nvidia control panel and take note of your special settings. then reset to default and check the issue. i had a derivative of the issue that was able to rectify. i believe an nvidia update corrupted settings and resetting and redoing special settings seemed to solve it.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 3 weeks later...

Got it! It is MSAA that causes the black screen blinking , at high altitudes (in game setttings!)!I normally let DCS decide of everything (Nvidia GTX 960, 4gb, yes it is old but hey 30fps still! Actually latest update seems to have given me +1-2fps!) I only use MSAA x4, but not other filters (in game settings, and not in nvidia Contr.Panel. settings). I had this blank black screen blinking / flickering problem ALWAYS after 43 000 ft (dunno why 43000 but that it is (sea level). But when i turn MSAA off, it stops. The problem seems to be in MSAA. I´m pretty sure about this. Have not yet tried that does that problem reply with NVIDIA´s own multisample filters etc, but I will try. Still using normally games own MSAAx4, cause its seems to be best power/graphics solution for older GPU´s.. Others. uh. 19 fps at low. no thanks. Without msaa -> like i´m playing DCS in 2007 🙂 But HOX ED! this MSAA seems to be the prob, that replies the problem at high altitudes (and I bet also in other flickering probs..). 

On 9/7/2022 at 7:58 PM, silverdevil said:

hello wiggo. i have another suggestion. open your nvidia control panel and take note of your special settings. then reset to default and check the issue. i had a derivative of the issue that was able to rectify. i believe an nvidia update corrupted settings and resetting and redoing special settings seemed to solve it.

Yes I have done everything, believe me 😉 Got it! It is game settings MSAA, when turned off no blinking at high alts (over 43 000 ft). Have not yet tried, that will my NV control panels own msaa, or other filters cause the same problem. Still going to use MSAA of game settings. Rarely cross 43k ft 😛 Game settings own MSAA seems to be the best solution for older GPU´s, or at least for me. (besides that back screen blinking... ) Thanks for help! And I have replied this with game settings many times, and result is same. MSAA x2 or x4 => screen blinking over 43k ft. MSAA of => no problems. (GTX 960, 4gb, Intel i5 Haswell 4960k, Asus z97-p, 16 gb ddr3, game installed in sata ported ssd..) 

1 hour ago, Wiggo said:

Yes I have done everything, believe me 😉 Got it! It is game settings MSAA, when turned off no blinking at high alts (over 43 000 ft). Have not yet tried, that will my NV control panels own msaa, or other filters cause the same problem. Still going to use MSAA of game settings. Rarely cross 43k ft 😛 Game settings own MSAA seems to be the best solution for older GPU´s, or at least for me. (besides that back screen blinking... ) Thanks for help! And I have replied this with game settings many times, and result is same. MSAA x2 or x4 => screen blinking over 43k ft. MSAA of => no problems. (GTX 960, 4gb, Intel i5 Haswell 4960k, Asus z97-p, 16 gb ddr3, game installed in sata ported ssd..) 

as we all know DCS can be problematic 😉 though i have a new GFX card here are my settings in NCP.

i let DCS control nearly all the gfx settings (application controlled)

GLOBAL SETTINGS TAB

image.png

PROGRAM SETTINGS

image.png

Edited by silverdevil

On 9/23/2022 at 9:32 PM, silverdevil said:

as we all know DCS can be problematic 😉 though i have a new GFX card here are my settings in NCP.

i let DCS control nearly all the gfx settings (application controlled)

GLOBAL SETTINGS TAB

image.png

PROGRAM SETTINGS

image.png

True dat! When i play DCS, i have dcs total control over NCP. (software decides everything). At some point I still used FXAA + SSAA, but it got clouds messy and it started to look so terrbiel at some points, i turned to dcs full control of GPU and dcs msaa x4. Newer cards seem to have A LOT bigger list of "stuff" in NCP. Wonder what all those even do 🙂 I work a lot with cad softwares etc 3d modeling (mechanical engineering) and with those, we usually use those NCP filters, cause usually CAD softwares themselves dont have much of em. 

Edited by Wiggo

2 hours ago, Wiggo said:

True dat! When i play DCS, i have dcs total control over NCP. (software decides everything). At some point I still used FXAA + SSAA, but it got clouds messy and it started to look so terrbiel at some points, i turned to dcs full control of GPU and dcs msaa x4. Newer cards seem to have A LOT bigger list of "stuff" in NCP. Wonder what all those even do 🙂 I work a lot with cad softwares etc 3d modeling (mechanical engineering) and with those, we usually use those NCP filters, cause usually CAD softwares themselves dont have much of em.

https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nv3d/Manage_3D_Settings_(reference).htm

this appears to be fairly new. its a start on what all the NCP settings do.