Seat adjustment

JCook

The instrument panel is too far away to be readable. The default view needs to be moved forward. Is there a way to do this?
Yes.
Words of advice. Turn off headtracking first, or you will mess up.
Test and reset a couple of times, just for testing and to see how it works.
DO NOT SAVE before it's perfect!!!!!
On the Numpad with RCtrl+RShft+
Num/ or Num- to zoom in out
Num4 and 6 X axis
Num2 and 8 Y axis.
Num5 centers
Num Enter resets
RAlt+Num0 saves head position

I repeat, turn off headtracking and do not save before you're totally happy.
It's better to test several times, before saving. Because when it's saved. It can't be reset to default other than deleting or editing Lua.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Do you have a free axis in the style of your throttle? Then you could just bind the zoom axis to that and adjust the zoom like you wish. 
Nice suggestion. I have done both, adjusted my FOV to be how I want it, and then zoom from there.
If you have set FOV one can easily press Num Enter to go back as a shortcut too.

9 hours ago, JCook said:

Which lua file?

What about just making a backup of the lua file in case you need to go back to the "default". Would that work?

Whenever you set custom views, a file named SnapViews.lua is overwritten in C:\Users\<YOUR USERNAME>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\View. To reset to the default views, delete that file and it will be re-created once DCS opens again.

• Like 1

Ok. Thanks guys.
MAXSensa, just to be clear when you said turn off head tracking are you meaning pause TrackIR or don't even have TrackIR running when making the change.
Yes. I turn it off, not pause, so I can be sure the view is fully centered.

On 8/23/2021 at 5:35 AM, MAXsenna said:

Yes.
Words of advice. Turn off headtracking first, or you will mess up.
Test and reset a couple of times, just for testing and to see how it works.
DO NOT SAVE before it's perfect!!!!!
On the Numpad with RCtrl+RShft+
Num/ or Num- to zoom in out
Num4 and 6 X axis
Num2 and 8 Y axis.
Num5 centers
Num Enter resets
RAlt+Num0 saves head position

I repeat, turn off headtracking and do not save before you're totally happy.
It's better to test several times, before saving. Because when it's saved. It can't be reset to default other than deleting or editing Lua. emoji4.png
Cheers!

The solution works but it´s saved only for the flight. Next time you load a mission in the F-16C the head position will be the same far away.

On 8/23/2021 at 10:11 AM, Exnom said:

Do you have a free axis in the style of your throttle? Then you could just bind the zoom axis to that and adjust the zoom like you wish. 

I have tried this. Unfortunately I don´t have a proper axis and I am using one of the mini sticks in a Logitech Gamepad 310. And it doesn´t work very well, specially when the TrackIR is engaged.

5 hours ago, Clipper said:

The solution works but it´s saved only for the flight. Next time you load a mission in the F-16C the head position will be the same far away.

I have tried this. Unfortunately I don´t have a proper axis and I am using one of the mini sticks in a Logitech Gamepad 310. And it doesn´t work very well, specially when the TrackIR is engaged.

Did you see my last step, "RAlt+Num0 saves head position"?

If that doesn't work for you I don't know why. Works for me in every module.

BUT, have you bound zoom to an axis? Sometimes you have to press "Num Enter" to "kick" the view into position when entering a module.

Cheers!

15 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Did you see my last step, "RAlt+Num0 saves head position"?

If that doesn't work for you I don't know why. Works for me in every module.

BUT, have you bound zoom to an axis? Sometimes you have to press "Num Enter" to "kick" the view into position when entering a module.

Cheers!

Hi MAXsenna.

Thank you for the reply to my post. However, I believe I did not explain myself.

Yes, I saw your last step RAlt+Num0.

The problem is that the game does not keep that save with RAlt+Num0.

So, to summarize what I do and what I get:

1- I start up a free flight with the F-16C. I have a head position given by the game

2- I make sure TrackIR or any headtracking is stopped.

3- I use the Num pad head movement controls to place the head position where I like it (basically within the Z axis in my case).

4- Once I have the head position, I save it with RAlt+Num0. From now on and until I shut DCSW down, the centering keystroke will give me the new saved head position. I play for a while.

5- I shut down DCSW (or just the mission).

6- Later on or the next day I start it up again: The problem here is that the head position I will get now is the same I had in step 1. I do not get the saved position in step 4.

7. This happens with any aircraft in DCSW. I fly the M2000C and the F-16C plus the FC3 and the stock planes with the same result.

In other words, DCSW does not keep the head position saved in a previous mission with RAlt+Num0, for every future mission.

Not a big problem. In every session I will just have to adjust my head position every time and save it for the remaining of the session.

But I really would like to have a saving keystroke that keeps the saved position for all future missions. In the case of the F-16C it´s annoying as the HUD is hard to read unless I advance my head in the Z axis.

😀

Clipper

Edited by Clipper

Hi MAXsenna.
Thank you for the reply to my post. However, I believe I did not explain myself.

Yes, I saw your last step RAlt+Num0.
The problem is that the game does not keep that save with RAlt+Num0.

So, to summarize what I do and what I get:
1- I start up a free flight with the F-16C. I have a head position given by the game
2- I make sure TrackIR or any headtracking is stopped.
3- I use the Num pad head movement controls to place the head position where I like it (basically within the Z axis in my case).
4- Once I have the head position, I save it with RAlt+Num0. From now on and until I shut DCSW down, the centering keystroke will give me the new saved head position. I play for a while.
5- I shut down DCSW (or just the mission).
6- Later on or the next day I start it up again: The problem here is that the head position I will get now is the same I had in step 1. I do not get the saved position in step 4.
7. This happens with any aircraft in DCSW. I fly the M2000C and the F-16C plus the FC3 and the stock planes with the same result.

In other words, DCSW does not keep the head position saved in a previous mission with RAlt+Num0, for every future mission.

Not a big problem. In every session I will just have to adjust my head position every time and save it for the remaining of the session.
But I really would like to have a saving keystroke that keeps the saved position for all future missions. In the case of the F-16C it´s annoying as the HUD is hard to read unless I advance my head in the Z axis.

Clipper

My bad. Apologies!
Go into settings misc and turn on the option for enabling snapview saving.
Cheers!

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 2:37 AM, JCook said:

Ok. Thanks guys.

MAXSensa, just to be clear when you said turn off head tracking are you meaning pause TrackIR or don't even have TrackIR running when making the change.

Just pause TiR and then press KP5 to default the view before making any adjustments.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Thanks guys for all the input. I'm trying out these suggestions.

While the cockpit in the DCS F16 really looks great - there are some weird dimensions going on with the FOV. I'm sure everyone has noticed how small and unreadable the MFD information is... don't have these issues flying the BMS F16 - those MFD screens are readable and large enough. I hope DCS can fix this - for me the aircraft is unflyable in air combat - simply cannot see what is  happening the radar screen. I'm going to try extracting the MFD screens onto two 7" displays I have mounted behind my TM MFDs -that's  my only hope right now for making use of the MFD information. But I guess exporting MFD views is not very simple from what I've read.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JCook said:

Thanks guys for all the input. I'm trying out these suggestions.

While the cockpit in the DCS F16 really looks great - there are some weird dimensions going on with the FOV. I'm sure everyone has noticed how small and unreadable the MFD information is... don't have these issues flying the BMS F16 - those MFD screens are readable and large enough. I hope DCS can fix this - for me the aircraft is unflyable in air combat - simply cannot see what is  happening the radar screen. I'm going to try extracting the MFD screens onto two 7" displays I have mounted behind my TM MFDs -that's  my only hope right now for making use of the MFD information. But I guess exporting MFD views is not very simple from what I've read.

Use HELIOS and it gets very simple!!!!!

I'd have to look into how that installs. Its not a program I planned on using for all its other features - just want a simple extraction to the other two monitors. DCS makes it difficult. 

I hear you though, I'll take a look at it.

• Like 1

I'd have to look into how that installs. Its not a program I planned on using for all its other features - just want a simple extraction to the other two monitors. DCS makes it difficult. 
I hear you though, I'll take a look at it.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly until I decided to have a look.
It's very intuitive, and basically drag and drop, as long as you have correctly setup the monitors in Windows.
Best of luck!

i just hit Num.5 button every time I enter a cockpit. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]