V/S Indicator?

dresoccer4

I'm curious how we're supposed to use the vertical speed indicator? It's a pretty important instrument and I can't see it at all. What's the thought process for its current location?

• Like 1

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

1 minute ago, razo+r said:

1) You can lean around the gunsight

2) if you want too keep altitude, look at the altimeter. It' easier. 

3) VSI in this airplane isnt that important. 

i noticed if you press '2' and fly from the right seat then you can use the v/s just fine. good for bad weather

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

15 hours ago, razo+r said:

2) if you want too keep altitude, look at the altimeter. It' easier. 

This ^^
On top of that I do one thing more (I'm using TrackIR). When I'm "precision trimming" for cruise for the first time, as good as I possibly can (which takes a while), I first "shift" my head towards the centerline of the cockpit (a little bit is enough), then I press "recenter TrackIR" and move my head back to the left. This way my viewpoint gets shifted left, as if I leant my "virtual head" against the side window or close to it. Once she's trimmed - as said above - use "long term" gauges, the altimeter and DI, so that you can monitor when she drifts too much (and she will).

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

British cockpits.

I've sat in a couple, and 'ergonomics' was a purely fantastical term yet to be invented. And when it was, it was for sissy boys who couldn't fly planes properly (pffft! If you didn't have to do a somersault in your seat to read a gauge, was it even worth reading?!)

I remember sitting in a Lightnings cockpit. Apparently, somebody thought it would be cool to put a gauge of some sort under my left armpit. And the artificial horizon of this Mach 2+ interceptor was straight out of the Cherokee 140 I learned to fly on (white line on black - no differentiation between ground and sky).

When men were men, and farmers fields were scared...

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 11:49 PM, ARM505 said:

British cockpits.

I've sat in a couple, and 'ergonomics' was a purely fantastical term yet to be invented. And when it was, it was for sissy boys who couldn't fly planes properly (pffft! If you didn't have to do a somersault in your seat to read a gauge, was it even worth reading?!)

I remember sitting in a Lightnings cockpit. Apparently, somebody thought it would be cool to put a gauge of some sort under my left armpit. And the artificial horizon of this Mach 2+ interceptor was straight out of the Cherokee 140 I learned to fly on (white line on black - no differentiation between ground and sky).

When men were men, and farmers fields were scared...

Brit cockpits suffered from CCD syndrome. Cramped, Complicated and Dark. Now, don't get me started on taxying...

• Like 1