messing with control options

jackd

After messing with control options for the about 5 planes i'd like to try i get really annoyed by the amount of work involved.

this as i have other flight sims with setups i am used to, and they default completely different in DCS.

For each plane you have to adapt general items as Roll, Pitch, Rudder, Throttle, Flaps, Gear up. That INDIVIDUALLY for things that should be quite general stuff.

And must be done as my warthog throttle defaults the throttle to the roll parameter too; the DCS warthog setup is simply faulty.

Isn't there a 3rd party options programming tool to simplify these matters?

It might look like a big task at first but it's done once for a module and then you make only small corrections if needed. It is individual matter after all how you set it up for yourself.

3rd party apps either make the task more complicated or are used for more advanced settings, not possible to achive in DCS controls GUI - which itself is very powerful tool.

There are user made control profiles that you can download for most modules if you wish. HOTAS Warthog is very popular.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/type-is-profile/apply/

Edited by draconus
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

More like easy and not so easy...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Funny, I find it most comfortable in DCS to setup controls. True, it would be nice if some more general controls could be set as default for all aircraft, but compared to some other popular flight sims (one ww2 and ww1 and one popular civilian 2020 version), DCS is a relieve to bind controls.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

On 11/1/2021 at 10:48 AM, Hiob said:

Funny, I find it most comfortable in DCS to setup controls. True, it would be nice if some more general controls could be set as default for all aircraft, but compared to some other popular flight sims (one ww2 and ww1 and one popular civilian 2020 version), DCS is a relieve to bind controls.

Now that i get to know it a little better i appreciate all the options available. However it can be very confusing at times.

I have not been able yet to set up a helicopter config to my liking yet. Still think IL2 Great Battles has the best editable controller system i saw so far.

With DCS you have to adapt each plane new, even for different models of a similar plane like the Su25 and Su25T.

^ To each his own. I can see how the Il-2GB system might be considered more friendly and better tailored for that sim at first glance, but in the long run its lack of individual customization per plane IS the biggest drawback for me. Playing GB as well and spending some time on "their" forums I know I'm not the only one with such opinion.

For example, with some planes having sluggish controls and some being very sensitive/responsive, the "one size fits all" approach in axis curves/saturations/filtering just doesn't work all that great. And don't get me started on throttle quadrants, where some planes just beg for individual, slightly different assignments of my Warthog throttle axes. I can do that in DCS, cannot in Il-2. Also, If I mess something up badly while customizing controls for a chosen plane in DCS, I know I can reset only this plane bindings to default simply by deleting relevant diff.lua file, without affecting any other aircraft. Doing the same in Il-2 with it's single, "global" assignments file will wipe out everything, so one has to tinker with it more carefully.

Both systems have their pros and cons, but for clickable sim, DCS one is superior in my opinion.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.