Cloud shadows cause visual artefact near areas of terrain elevation

Japo32

Don't know if this is the right place, and I don't have screens to show it, but the other day flying the Yalu campaign I climbed to 33,000 ft and I saw something I didn't like it. Around my plane there was al ok, but some nm away (maybe 100 or so?) I could see the limits of the shadow boundary (?) it was squared shape. I suppose it was the save performance shadow area, but it was awful. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

DCS Version: DCS 2.7.7.15038 Open Beta

Brief description of bug: Cloud shadows cause visual artefacts near area of terrain elevations. This resembles large shadows, but are cast in direction of view angle rather than sun incidence angle. These are most visible from higher altitude, and appear to have a much lower refresh rate than normal shadows, causing a pop-in effect whenever the position is updated.

Expected behaviour: No shadow artefacts.

To reproduce:

1) Mission with any cloud preset, set in daytime.

2) Find area of terrain elevation (mountains, ridgelines).

3) Go into free camera to see shadow artefact. Note that as you move closer/further away, the artefact changes in intensity. You may also see shadow artefacts far in the distance.

This occurs on all terrains including Caucasus. However, Syria is used in this demonstration as it has high contrast terrain with prominent mountain ranges.

This bug does not occur if the cloud preset is set to "None", confirming that it is directly tied to the new cloud system.

Demonstration video:

Why is this important: These shadow artefacts are immensly distracting, particularly when flying at higher altitudes. They may also obscure target areas if near an area of terrain elevation.

Example missions for Caucasus and Syria attached, reproduce as per instructions/video example.

BrokenShadows.miz BrokenShadowsCaucasus.miz

• Like 2

• ED Team

merged

This is already reported to the team, I have no news to share currently. 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...