HUD control altitude switch?

gulredrel
Go to solution Solved by AvroLanc,

Probably a good idea to use radalt during IMC or at night though, but yea, you've got the radalt display in the HUD as well.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

39 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

Probably a good idea to use radalt during IMC or at night though, but yea, you've got the radalt display in the HUD as well.

No, during IMC it's even more the reason not to use the radar altimeter as this is a time when it's crucial to keep the correct barometric altitdue to avoid aircraft collisions.

• Solution
5 hours ago, gulredrel said:

mmhh... okay, as there is the radar altimeter readout below the baro altitude tape, I don't really see a reason for switching the switch to radar alt. I was just curious and couldn't see a difference. Or is it map-related? Was flying on Mariannas map.

The altitude switch on the HUD Control panel isn't implemented correctly yet. Which is why you don't see any difference currently.

• Thanks 1

I guess one other problem with radar altitude is that it shows you the alt. underneath you, not what's in front of you. I guess you combine that with the AG radar but we are missing a proper radar directed approach mode or IFR approach mode for the ATC. That's probably the most realistic way to approach in bad weather (or just fly the ILS) with proper mission planning and waypoints.

• 1 year later...

In situations where you set your HUD Scales Switch to OFF to have a clean HUD this switch is very useful, HUD Altitude Switch in OFF is automatic changing from RDR to BARO alt if above 1500ft.

This is specially handy when you want a clean HUD while landing to get rid of the clutter in bad weather or night, and your BARO is showing give or take 500ft more cause you cant set Altimiter Berometric Pressure Setting Indicator cause of the limit it has.

For that reason I'd love this implemented correctly.

P.S. was this reported as bug already?