Quest 2 Hand Tracking to DCS

cerealex

Wouldn't it be wonderful to implement hand tracking from quest 2 to DCS to interact with your own hands on buttons and MFDs?

It would be a game changer to enjoy VR even more!!

We need this to get to the higher bosses, I think it's an incredible idea!!

PD: I saw some options on YouTube but they seemed expensive or did not work very well.

image.png

PD: I saw some options on YouTube but they seemed expensive or did not work very well.

-----------------------------------------------------

Not so precise...

------------------------------------------------------

Expensive

• Like 3

Sent from Nokia 3310

I briefly tested Leap motion recently and reached a (personal) conclusion regarding hand tracking (regardless of the device or method used to achieve the tracking of the hands or how good it works currently):  the physical space where your virtual cockpit is projected needs to be devoid of objects that obstruct access to virtual switches and buttons or those objects need to match their physical position and shape with their virtual counterparts. Even if you only have a physical HOTAS, if it is in the "wrong" place or is of a different "shape" (think of using a TM Warthog throttle to fly the Viper) then your physical HOTAS will get in the way and prevent you to operate the switches in a natural way, so you would have to revert to some sort of ray casting method (like it is currently used by the VR hand controllers).

So, you either have a physical setup to fly one specific aircraft, have a setup that allows for reconfiguration to match multiple aircraft or go totally virtual (which would be amassing if you could get haptic feedback from your virtual HOTAS and switches) 

Nothing that money can't solve 😄

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Oculus quest hand tracking exists for years, how is this not a thing yet?

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

En 10/1/2022 a las 20:49, fael097 dijo:

El seguimiento manual de Oculus Quest existe desde hace años, ¿cómo es que esto todavía no existe?

When I try Quest 2 hand tracking, first thing that I thinked was how nice should be use it on DCS😋 

Sent from Nokia 3310

• 1 year later...

I made a thing, and yes, it needs developer mode: https://htcc.fredemmott.com

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

No, it works with quests when developer mode is enabled. It does not work with rift or rift s.

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

2 hours ago, actually_fred said:

No, it works with quests when developer mode is enabled. It does not work with rift or rift s.

Oh, I have mistaken it for hand controllers tracking for hands in DCS, thx.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

The thing is, the Quests(all of them)  are not officially supported by ED, they only work because of the backward compatibility with the rift.

It would be great if they do, especially with this headset popularity, and the upcoming release of the 3, they'll make a lot of happy people.

R5 5600x @ 4.6Ghz | B550 Gigabyte Aorus Pro | beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | 64GB Team DARK Zα @3600Mhz |  Samsung nmve 1TB | RTX 4070ti MSI | DELANCLiP HT | Oculus Quest 2

Get my skins & missions >>   Check my DCS Awesome List >>

• 2 weeks later...

Let me resurrect this thing a little as now that DCS has OpenXR interface, OpenXR actually has a hand-tracking skeleton data available that ED can implement and grab. It is exactly the same request as this one, just that the quest2 hands tracking enters OpenXR and then DCS takes it from there instead of oculus's runtime hand skeleton, but achieve the same result for quest2 users as this wishlist item would (talking here as quest2 user as well, but we also wanto be on OpenXR for performance right ;)):

"Vympel offers R-27EP anti-radar air-to-air missile, I really want to do a SEAD against F15s :lol:"

This should probably be a generic request for DCS to support OpenXR handtracking (XR_EXT_handtracking):

- it is not quest-specific

- meta consider quest hand tracking on PC to be a developer-only feature and lock it behind developer mode. It works, usually, but it’s not officially supported.

My projects:

3 hours ago, ZerXen said:

we also wanto be on OpenXR for performance right

This is pretty much required for DCS: hand tracking is not part of the PC oculus API. Even with developer mode, IIRC it's only availably via Oculus's unity editor plugin.

With OpenXR + developer mode, it is at least available to every OpenXR app that adds support for XR_EXT_handtracking.

Edited by actually_fred

My projects:

5 hours ago, actually_fred said:

This should probably be a generic request for DCS to support OpenXR handtracking (XR_EXT_handtracking):

- it is not quest-specific

- meta consider quest hand tracking on PC to be a developer-only feature and lock it behind developer mode. It works, usually, but it’s not officially supported.

Ehm... yes, that is the other threat I started and linked above. I just came to this very old one for quest2 exclusive to direct any people that might be tracking this one to move their attention to the OpenXR one. 😉 

"Vympel offers R-27EP anti-radar air-to-air missile, I really want to do a SEAD against F15s :lol:"