Varjo aero ....anyone got one yet?

markturner1960

As title....really keen to see whats possible here. 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

No they have not shipped any yet, I believe they always stated around end of Dec. or so. Course I am sure a delay is entirely possible as well.

In the meantime:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks, just wondering if the improvement is going to be worth the extra $1200 over the Vive pro 2 I brought......which I am not using much, I prefer on balance the claity of my 4k monitor. DCS is s0urely the worst performing flight sim that supports VR out there (not sure how they let that happen!!) ........I am of the opinion that it's PC limited currently, not headset performance limited...I just brought the most powerful PC and graphics card out there and it still can't run my Vivepro2 in DCS at anything like full performance....so I am not sure why we are getting excited about headsets like the aero......if the PC that can run them properly is not going to be available for 3 or 4 years....! 

Edited by markturner1960
  • Like 2

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

6 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Thanks, just wondering if the improvement is going to be worth the extra $1200 over the Vive pro 2 I brought......which I am not using m(not sure how they let that happen!!) ........I am of the opinion that it's PC limited currently, not headset performance limited...I just brought the most powerful PC and graphics card out there and it still can't run my Vivepro2 in DCS at anything like full performance....so I am not sure why we are getting excited about headsets like the aero......if the PC that can run them properly is not going to be available for 3 or 4 years....! 

haven't heard from them since my pre-order...

I also have VP2 and even though I like it overall the main issues I have with it are:

1) the small size of the sweet spot (compared to VP1 + GearVR mod)

2) amount of god rays (again compared to VP1 + GearVR mod), which lowers the overall sharpness of the image in fully lit / high brightness scenes

edit:  if AERO solves these 2 points then I'll keep it. Otherwise it'll go straight back to them.

Edited by peachmonkey

They have started shipping in small numbers to ”very important customers”.

Aero is shipping already this year. We have obviously done a few shipments to close partners and ultra-important customer cases. But, in December we’ll be shipping in a bit wider way.

Article with Urho Kontorri varjo founder and chief technology officer

So they probably is on track or at least not very long behind. 

I did order a few weeks ago and hope for delivery in February or so.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Gonna follow this topic.

Bin thinking about buying the Aero when it's for sale in my country, the thing is i'm doubtfull about using a external tracking base.

Definitly wanna know what other people's experience is gonna be.

I pre-ordered the Aero the day it became available to order I believe.

But I am sure I am not an "important" customer lol.

1 hour ago, Mac D said:

Gonna follow this topic.

Bin thinking about buying the Aero when it's for sale in my country, the thing is i'm doubtfull about using a external tracking base.

Definitly wanna know what other people's experience is gonna be.

Why would you be doubtful about external tracking base? Lighthouse 2.0 tracking is the best out there currently bar none. I have used it with both Index and Vive Pro 2.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

8 hours ago, dburne said:

I pre-ordered the Aero the day it became available to order I believe.

But I am sure I am not an "important" customer lol.

Why would you be doubtful about external tracking base? Lighthouse 2.0 tracking is the best out there currently bar none. I have used it with both Index and Vive Pro 2.

If you fly front of the desk do lighthouses track your head when put your head under desk (ie look some gauges or other near the pedals)? So your body blocks visibility of rear tracker and desk blocks visibility of front tracker. I have never used lighthouse trackers, that problem was in Rift. I thing lighthouses are better on this and you can prevent this almost all with placement. 

I had reverb G1 and tracking was not good. It didn't worked when looked down, I don't know why. Quest 2 have far better tracking.

Specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 3080, Quest 2, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals

2 hours ago, Lucidus said:

If you fly front of the desk do lighthouses track your head when put your head under desk (ie look some gauges or other near the pedals)? So your body blocks visibility of rear tracker and desk blocks visibility of front tracker. I have never used lighthouse trackers, that problem was in Rift. I thing lighthouses are better on this and you can prevent this almost all with placement. 

I had reverb G1 and tracking was not good. It didn't worked when looked down, I don't know why. Quest 2 have far better tracking.

The Lighthouse tracking is quite good, certainly way better than my Reverb G2 tracking. Mainly in VR games that use controllers though, I really do not have much problem with Reverb G2 tracking with flight sims.  Whilst I can't say I have ever put my head under my desk and not sure why I would need to, I do not have any issues looking at all the instruments. 

Don B

1 hour ago, Habu_69 said:

I love VR, but have reverted to head tracking for now for the improved FPS and visuals. I could go for the Aero if consumer reviews confirm the touted leap in visuals in DCS. I will also have to get my hands on a high end GPU, tho.

Yep it is definitely a chunk of change for sure. However if it does like I think it is going to do I will be one very happy VR camper. If not - well would not be first time I made a bad decision that was costly.

Don B

I mean, look at my PC specs, and this morning I did a VR flight, with my VivePro2 -  I was getting between 30 and 40 FPS, over Nevada, with steam VR at 100% and the headset at Ultra. GPU frame time was 20+ and mostly red. DCS settings at very sensible levels, MSAA x 2 and all the FPS hogs turned down. It looked pretty good, but really, my G2 on previous PC gave better frame rates and what I was seeing was useable, but not great. I just think that you can spend all the money on the headset which can for sure pump out the pixels if supplied the horsepower, but there s no way DCS in its current state can possible take advantage of that. Imagine being able to run the G2 or Vive pro 2 fully maxed at 90 FPS....it would be great I am sure, but we are surely a long time away from that still..

Edited by markturner1960

The VP2 for me is quite good with DCS VR (even my Index is fine except some cockpit texts aren’t sharp), and I’m pretty sure the Aero will give better experiences due to better screens and optics as well as professional level software.  The Varjo headsets are even certified and used for training real life pilots in Europe. 

You don’t really need 90 fps to enjoy DCS VR, heck I don’t even need more than 60 for DCS on 4KTV.  For DCS a 45 average fps is fine with minimal artifacts associated with 1:2 reprojection, and there are plenty of ways to tune your system to get there.

I’ve been playing MP missions (currently Rising Squall with MP conversion) with my friend almost daily.  He’s using his Rift S and I’m using my VP2, we have had no issues.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

On 12/3/2021 at 9:49 AM, Lucidus said:

I have double lighthouse 2 set up for Pimax 8KX. It has newe even glitch when use( exept for one buggy software update). 
I have the lighthouses set up diagonally in the room, at about 2m height. 
there is no space in the room nit covered by the lighthouses. 
The lighthouse seems much better than Oculus Rift trackers, which was really good, but could be covered by the computer screen etc.

My Reverb G1 causes issues at least 10 times each gaming sessions. This despite full lighting in the room, setup to help the WMR tracking.

I am not the slightest worried about that the Varjo + lighthouse tracking should not perform very good. 

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

16 minutes ago, Gunnars Driver said:

I have double lighthouse 2 set up for Pimax 8KX. It has newe even glitch when use( exept for one buggy software update). 
I have the lighthouses set up diagonally in the room, at about 2m height. 
there is no space in the room nit covered by the lighthouses. 
The lighthouse seems much better than Oculus Rift trackers, which was really good, but could be covered by the computer screen etc.

My Reverb G1 causes issues at least 10 times each gaming sessions. This despite full lighting in the room, setup to help the WMR tracking.

I am not the slightest worried about that the Varjo + lighthouse tracking should not perform very good. 

Yeah that is the way I have my Lighthouse 2.0 set up as well. Excellent tracking.

I used these Tripod Stands: https://www.amazon.com/Skywin-Compatible-Station-Sensors-Constellation-PC/dp/B07B6FDKZ8/ref=asc_df_B07B6FDKZ8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312216058008&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5306247692433023309&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011519&hvtargid=pla-567885544267&psc=1

Don B

57 minutes ago, dburne said:

I have a 3.5x3m office, more or less a man cave so I dod mount the lighthouses on the walls. Not that it matters for tracking purposes. 

I ordered the Aero the same day it got possible in my country(Varjo didnt open for all countrys initially). 

On 12/3/2021 at 6:03 PM, Supmua said:

The VP2 for me is quite good with DCS VR (even my Index is fine except some cockpit texts aren’t sharp), and I’m pretty sure the Aero will give better experiences due to better screens and optics as well as professional level software.  The Varjo headsets are even certified and used for training real life pilots in Europe. 

You don’t really need 90 fps to enjoy DCS VR, heck I don’t even need more than 60 for DCS on 4KTV.  For DCS a 45 average fps is fine with minimal artifacts associated with 1:2 reprojection, and there are plenty of ways to tune your system to get there.

I’ve been playing MP missions (currently Rising Squall with MP conversion) with my friend almost daily.  He’s using his Rift S and I’m using my VP2, we have had no issues.

My VR experience is perfectly acceptable, dont get me wrong. 40 FPS is generally OK. It's just a shame that even with a really top end PC, I cant max it out, or really get anywhere near maxed out. 10MS frame time, 60 FPS and being able to run at 120Hz ultra with the DCS settings turned up would be awesome on either of the two headsets I have, but I feel thats years off......Really keen to to see what the aero performs like for you guys who have ordered......

PS you mention the re projection...do you have that on with the VP2?

Edited by markturner1960

• 1 month later...

Mine arrived today, and after a a tricky set up I have finally got it to work in DCS.

The clarity and visuals are excellent but not 4 times better than the G2 (which I also have)as could be infered from the price.

I had an issue with weird distortions in DCS, where objects in the cockpit would move contrary to the outside world, and this was a total immersion killer. However, it seems that I'm not the first person on these forums to have this issue, and by utilising the DCS VR Debug tool I was able to flip the display in each eye, which (somehow) fixed the problem instantly, and it now looks great.

The motorised automatic IPD adjustment is a nice feature, as is the cooling fans that blow lightly across your eyes, plus it's a very comfortable well balanced HMD.

I'm not sure that the price compared to my Reverb G2 is worth the upgrade cost, but it's a high quality piece of kit and I look forward to fine tuning it in and getting the most from it.

Lastly, a final weird downside for me, is that the image is now so clear and well rendered that it's made the map outside the cockpit look more "gamey", which kind of detracts from the immersion for me. First world problems eh?

Kit: i9 10900k, Rog Strix RTX 4090, Asus Rog strix Z490 Mobo, 64 GB, Varjo Aero HMD running Open VR

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Thrustmaster Pendular rudder peddles

MODS: Pretty much all of them

I have now received a receipt for successful payment with notice mine will be shipping in next 5 business days.

Getting closer!

@Major Corvus good to know about the trick using the debug tool, if that happens to me I will now know what to do, thanks.

• Like 1

Don B

5 minutes ago, dburne said:

I have now received a receipt for successful payment with notice mine will be shipping in next 5 business days.

Getting closer!

@Major Corvus good to know about the trick using the debug tool, if that happens to me I will now know what to do, thanks.

Hopefully yours won't get stuck in Hong Kong for 5 days like mine did. Oh and don't trust the FedEX tracking website, it lies like a cheap watch!

Good luck👍

• Like 1

Kit: i9 10900k, Rog Strix RTX 4090, Asus Rog strix Z490 Mobo, 64 GB, Varjo Aero HMD running Open VR

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Thrustmaster Pendular rudder peddles

MODS: Pretty much all of them

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 10:38 AM, Major Corvus said:

I had an issue with weird distortions in DCS, where objects in the cockpit would move contrary to the outside world, and this was a total immersion killer. However, it seems that I'm not the first person on these forums to have this issue, and by utilising the DCS VR Debug tool I was able to flip the display in each eye, which (somehow) fixed the problem instantly, and it now looks great.

DCS VR Debug tool? Where do you get that?

28 minutes ago, Hinkey said:

DCS VR Debug tool? Where do you get that?

• Thanks 1

Don B