New to VR

Lowlyslows

Hey all,

I am trying to decide between the Quest 2 and the Rift S. Everyone I have talked to about buying a headset says to get the best resolution you can afford for DCS. Everyone is telling me to get the Q2 but isn't the Rift S better in resolution? 

Specs from Oculus website:

Quest 2 resolution: 1832x1920 Per eye

Rift S resolution: 2560x1440

What am I missing?

22 minutes ago, Lowlyslows said:

Hey all,

I am trying to decide between the Quest 2 and the Rift S. Everyone I have talked to about buying a headset says to get the best resolution you can afford for DCS. Everyone is telling me to get the Q2 but isn't the Rift S better in resolution? 

Specs from Oculus website:

Quest 2 resolution: 1832x1920 Per eye

Rift S resolution: 2560x1440

What am I missing?

Rift S resolution you have is not per eye.  Quest 2 is much better in almost every way.

Not sure what your specs are but for flight sims Reverb G2 is well worth a look.

Rift S - outdated and not even made any longer. I would not go that route.

Quest 2 - connects to PC via either a Link cable through USB or Wireless. Not necessarily what I would consider native PC-VR. Does a decent job though considering.

Reverb G2 - plugs directly into display port of GPU pus USB for tracking. Excellent image clarity but requires some oomph to push it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have the Reverb G2. Sometimes I wish I went for the Quest 2. If you want ease of use, I'd get the Quest 2. If you want very good clarity in the sweet spot at the expense of performance, get the G2. 

Don't buy the Rift S, I have it as well, and while it is a nice headset that works great out of the box, you will be disappointed with it's visual fidelity.

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Only get the Rift S with a second hand big sale massive discount. Other than that, get either Q2 or G2.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I have and use the Rift S. While it's good for what it is, I can not recommend it considering the new headsets out there today. The screen door effect is the main reason I'm upgrading to a Q2.

I was having a hard time deciding between the Q2 or the G2. In the end I decided since I already have quite a few Oculus games and I don't feel like jumping through hoops to get a headset to work, the Q2 was a better fit for me. It's plug and play, should have much better clarity than the Rift S and no screen door effect. Also, I can use it without the cable for other games (Onward, Contractors, etc) while in the living room.

I wouldn't buy a Rift S unless as Tundra said, you get a massive discount.

That said, I'm sure I will eventually get another PC devoted headset like the G2 in the future. From what I've read, HP has already made some major upgrades to the G2 and I'm sure it will only get better. And who knows what Steam and other VR hardware developers are going to come out with next year?