Edm exporter : collision model problem

Hi everyone,

New Blender user with basically no experience here. However as I am only interested in basic low poly things I was finally able to build my first basic testing model and thanks to this great edm tool I was able to export and see it corectly textured  in game.

However I have a problem with the collision model and whatever I do, "DCS things" (I mean DCS static models like a car for exemple) sink into it 😒

Following yotube tutorials (tnaks guys) I choose shellNode for the collision model in the edm properties, threre is a material and the export doesn't complains at all. I checked in Edm Viewer and It is there perfectly in place but...

So what could I be doing wrong ?? Please note that I have no problem with the "normal" (non-collision) things...

Thanks in advance

Edited by CougarFFW04

Right now it just a basic model... A rectangular shape would do the job for understanding what I am doing wrong and  testing.

In particular it is not clear to me if the "model" and the "collision" should be exported as 2 different edm models or if both are embeded in the "model" one (that I suppose because I see both in the DCS edm viewer). As far as I understood, "model" and "collision" do not have necessary the same "mesh shape" and they could even be displaced from each other (not what wee want but just to be sure).

For information I am runing Blender 3 but I saw in another message that the plugin works fine in B3

By the way thanks for your youtube tutorial. Thanks to it I was able to do the job but unfortunatly you didn't cover the "collision" or Lods things. For the collision I tried to follow FireBlaze one (xith the car and tremplin) but...

Pb might be identified : no UV map for the collision model.... Will check with and report...

Finally NO 😔

Edited by CougarFFW04

28 minutes ago, tobi said:

If the viewer shows the collision box correctly it may be a game integration problem. Could you tell with more details what happens and what do you expect to happen?

So first let me tell that I was thinking about a UV map missing for the "collision" model but I add one and still no luck...

So to answer your question:

- model and collision mesh looks good in blender (3). Although with different mesh shapes (collision mesh simplified) they are where expected.

- both have material, and UV map, textures only for the model

- edm is "renderType" for the model and "shellNode" for the collision

- both have the armature parent

- export process does NOT complain.

- edm viewer show correctly

-- the model, textures and associated box around (see picture)

-- the collision shape at the right place with no texture (so black I think)

In game : the model appears correctly textured but if in the ME I put a "DCS native static object" (like a "car" or whatever)  on top (for exemple on the flat grey parts) it sinks througt the model like if the collision model would not exist... So the highest part of a big object emerge above the model and a small on is completly hidden below (on the DCS landscape)

Question :

- does the collision model works also for statics object ?

- problem with Blender 3 ?

collision.JPG

model.JPG

Edited by CougarFFW04

You do not need a uv map for a collision model.
If both the model and the collision model show up in modelviewer correctly you should stop looking for blender or exporting mistakes.
I think eightball placed an island as a mod maybe you can ask him about the ingame integration

14 minutes ago, tobi said:

You do not need a uv map for a collision model.
If both the model and the collision model show up in modelviewer correctly you should stop looking for blender or exporting mistakes.
I think eightball placed an island as a mod maybe you can ask him about the ingame integration

Did it. We will see
Thanks anyway

7 hours ago, joey45 said:

You might of missed a line of code or calling the wrong file so the game isn't seeing it....

As the collision model is embeded in the main model which is loader in game without problem it can't be file problem.

As for a Line of code what are you thinking about ?

Edited by CougarFFW04

Is there a BASIC tutorial of the workflow for making a model and getting it into dcs? I tried edm exporter and it’s. Complaining about ‘armatures’ so you can see my level of knowledge is trivial. When I look into using blender, I am stunned by the ‘richness’ of the interface.

is there another ‘simpler’ workflow?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

6 minutes ago, skypickle said:

Is there a BASIC tutorial of the workflow for making a model and getting it into dcs? I tried edm exporter and it’s. Complaining about ‘armatures’ so you can see my level of knowledge is trivial. When I look into using blender, I am stunned by the ‘richness’ of the interface.

is there another ‘simpler’ workflow?

For animation

Also read the instructions on the github page.

• 1 month later...

Any luck with the collision problem? Having similar problems with my static object. Using both shell and segment nodes. Weapons and my own aircraft collides, but for some weird reason, the AI seems to refuse accepting the collision. Almost as if they're telling me "F**k you man! I don't believe in collisions! Watch me take a dump on your so called collision!" and as if to mock me, flies through. Tried a simplified low-poly collision mesh, but only thing it did, was giving me the possibility to mock the AI by telling them that I can fly through stuff as well. Don't know if the problem is the sheer size of the object. It spans 25 kilometers in diameter and almost 4 kilometers in height.

I have been working on a ramp. If you want vehicles to roll over your collision surface, you need to use vertex normals smoothly interpolated over the surface. Blender can screw up the normals when you use a cube mesh. I prefer to make a plane, then extrude it and set it to shade smooth.  DCS uses the normals to figure out things about drag and collision. Exactly how this works, I do not know. But you need smooth vertex normals for the collision surface.

The collision mesh can be as simple as a plane with 4 verts. 

I have found that ai vehicles will go through my ramp when a manned vehicle (combined arms) will drive up the ramp. Full module aircraft seem to handle the ramp ok. FC3 do not.  This may be simply because I am not using the correct ws_Type designations in the .lua file. More experimentation is needed.

Screen_220308_205111.png

Edited by Zeagle

Can you double check that? The collision model only has vertices and no normals. So normals should have no influence on collision. Drag is calculated by sfm, efm or what ever model is used. The .edm does not matter for that.

Might need to revisit this then

Did it as a Proof Of Concept for the harrier then I thought....... hmm vehicles..

starts at the 2 minute mark

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• 4 weeks later...

Did you also add the Collision Lines ? These are very important:
Additionally - there are some lines of code necessary  to colide perfectly.
image.png

Edited by The_Fragger

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

Lead 3D Artist - TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BO-105 PAH1A1/VBH / HKP-9A / BO-105 CBS-5 KLH

Eurofighter Typhoon

https://www.facebook.com/PolyDynamicsDCS/

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

Mainboard: Asus STRIX Z390-F