"Official" F-4E Livery Discussion

LanceCriminal86

2 hours ago, Stackup said:

Oh come on, be optimistic here, they thought they could have it done in 2022 until they were delayed, I very much doubt they need another full year to be ready for release.

yeah, I bet on February...

I feel need, The need for speed!

Modules:
 F-14A/B Tomcat | UH-1H | L-39 Albatros | Spitfire LF Mk.IX | Mig-15bis | P-47D Thunderbolt | Supercarrier
| Combined Arms
Wish List: F-4E | A-6E Intruder
Terrains: Persian gulf | Nevada

6 minutes ago, Peet Maverick said:

yeah, I bet on February...

I bet on reveal trailer some time during jan 2024 and then each video covering various systems being released on yearly basis with early acces starting during q2 2029. 

• Like 4

My total shot in the dark guess is December 2024. It looks close, but the F-4E is such a beast + the Jester AI that there’s assuredly lot of moving parts to test, fix & retest . Even simple software changes can tie up teams for months on validation>publish>UAT cycles. Even if the jet was “done” today I can easily picture testing & documentation taking the rest of the year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

My total shot in the dark guess is December 2024. It looks close, but the F-4E is such a beast + the Jester AI that there’s assuredly lot of moving parts to test, fix & retest . Even simple software changes can tie up teams for months on validation>publish>UAT cycles. Even if the jet was “done” today I can easily picture testing & documentation taking the rest of the year. 

You're kidding right?  Sure they got delayed but this forum has gone from "They'll still release it in 2022!!" to "They need another 2 years" really quickly...  If they thought they could be done by the end of the year at the start of 2022, I believe them.  Even with the current unknowns of the type of setbacks besides time they have experienced, I doubt they need 2 more years.  I'm expecting a release sometime in the first half of this year since that's about the same time they lost due to the war give or take a few weeks.

• Like 1

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

40 minutes ago, Stackup said:

You're kidding right?  Sure they got delayed but this forum has gone from "They'll still release it in 2022!!" to "They need another 2 years" really quickly...  If they thought they could be done by the end of the year at the start of 2022, I believe them.  Even with the current unknowns of the type of setbacks besides time they have experienced, I doubt they need 2 more years.  I'm expecting a release sometime in the first half of this year since that's about the same time they lost due to the war give or take a few weeks.

I’m serious. The F-4 module’s software test & validation can easily take as much or even more time than making the plane in the first place.

Example; launching a Sidewinder. It’s not enough to verify the player can launch a Sidewinder one time. Heatblur’s testing team has to verify the player can launch a Sidewinder against multiple targets, types of targets, and on all maps. Lots of work given DCS’s AI and player vehicle inventory. 

Then Heatblur has to do it all over again, except now with the other three rails. 

Then they have to test the “failure function” scenario. Meaning situations where the player tries to launch a Sidewinder but it shouldn’t fire due to a configuration switch. So HB has to test all those scenarios but with the Master Arm off. 
This process must be repeated for every interactive system in the module. If and when a bug’s found, it has to be troubleshot, fixed and the scenario retested until the problem’s eliminated. The more bugs found, the longer the process takes. Because software is dependent on certain elements, you can’t check some things until other items are done. Practical example; if Heatblur’s still working on the radar, they can’t test  AIM-7 functionality. 

It’s a process that is inherently unpredictable , absolutely necessary and notoriously wrecks schedules. One stubborn bug can hold up a code project for weeks. 

Between testing and documentation , I can credibly see it being another calendar year before the F-4s ready and released. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

I’m serious. The F-4 module’s software test & validation can easily take as much or even more time than making the plane in the first place.

Example; launching a Sidewinder. It’s not enough to verify the player can launch a Sidewinder one time. Heatblur’s testing team has to verify the player can launch a Sidewinder against multiple targets, types of targets, and on all maps. Lots of work given DCS’s AI and player vehicle inventory. 

Then Heatblur has to do it all over again, except now with the other three rails. 

Then they have to test the “failure function” scenario. Meaning situations where the player tries to launch a Sidewinder but it shouldn’t fire due to a configuration switch. So HB has to test all those scenarios but with the Master Arm off. 
This process must be repeated for every interactive system in the module. If and when a bug’s found, it has to be troubleshot, fixed and the scenario retested until the problem’s eliminated. The more bugs found, the longer the process takes. Because software is dependent on certain elements, you can’t check some things until other items are done. Practical example; if Heatblur’s still working on the radar, they can’t test  AIM-7 functionality. 

It’s a process that is inherently unpredictable , absolutely necessary and notoriously wrecks schedules. One stubborn bug can hold up a code project for weeks. 

Between testing and documentation , I can credibly see it being another calendar year before the F-4s ready and released. 

1) This is a discussion on liveries for the F-4E

2) Those are bold words for someone who hasn't seen the folks that contribute to HB's testing crew in full swing

3) This is a discussion about F-4E liveries

• Like 6

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

5 hours ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

1) This is a discussion on liveries for the F-4E

2) Those are bold words for someone who hasn't seen the folks that contribute to HB's testing crew in full swing

3) This is a discussion about F-4E liveries

…then why are the last three posts people commenting on the release date instead of the liveries? 

IMO, further discussion on that topic is useless. HB’s not sitting on a finished F-4E module just to torture us out of spite. When it’s ready it’ll come. If it’s next week or next year I’ll be happy either way. 

• Like 3

The 19th has come and gone. The prophecy was false.... We're all going to die!

• Like 1

Current Modules: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, AV-8B, Mirage 2KC, Mirage F-1, Mig-21, AJS-37, A-10C II, F-5E, AH-64D, UH-1H, Ka-50 BS2/BS3, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, SA342, Spitfire, P-47D, BF-109K, Mosquito
Tech Pack: WWII Assets
Terrain: Syria, Sinai, NTTR