Open Kneeboard for VR and 2d

Ready

Am 20.3.2022 um 02:54 schrieb actually_fred:

> Maybe left and right kneeboard like in VRK

I want to do this, I'm mostly trying to figure out the user experience. I don't want twice as many button bindings, two graphics tablets, etc.

I'm thinking maybe something like the A-10C 1 'swap MFCDs' function - or just a 'copy current page to left knee'.

> use of an calculator

Not yet, but I did design it with this in mind. Right now I'm thinking A-10C LASTE wind calculator, and a coordinate converter. Is there other stuff you'd like? Would a basic arithmetic calculator be useful?

When I get to this, I'm likely to try making it so it's doable with HTML+Javascript, or lua instead; I'm not sure if that will be practical with the rendering pipeline (essentially we need to periodically copy a GPU texture between applications) - but it would be much better than needing anyone else that wants to make a new calculator to learn C++ 🙂

I loved to see left and rightside support like VRK.In VR this is nice with the possibility to position on your virtuel legs….

a calculator would be nice to with some basic calculations and some conversation of algorithms like km/nm, Degree/ Fahrenheit for example.

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

Am 20.3.2022 um 09:11 schrieb edmuss:

If you can implement Openxr support then that would excellent, I bought a cheap huion from eBay with the intention of setting up vrk and then the openxr mod happened 😄

Will keep following and happy to help out with some testing if needed (G2 running openxr but can switch back to steamvr at any time).

+1

8 hours ago, Buergels said:

+1

It works now, with the latest update 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

@actually_fred  Is it possible to show the contents of a page within the VR kneepad as it is in the desktop app?

Similarly if the above is possible is there any way of selecting a page from the contents? So for example being able to traverse through the theatre pages without having to click 50 times.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

5 minutes ago, edmuss said:

@actually_fred  Is it possible to show the contents of a page within the VR kneepad as it is in the desktop app?

Similarly if the above is possible is there any way of selecting a page from the contents? So for example being able to traverse through the theatre pages without having to click 50 times.

I would love bookmarks the way the DCS kneebaord works - with the only difference that you can label the stickies and they are saved for the next session

• Like 3

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

5 hours ago, edmuss said:

Is it possible to show the contents of a page within the VR kneepad as it is in the desktop app?

I could add that option, however it would mean removing the headings and the button in the top left, and...

If you have a graphics tablet, tap the button in the top left with a 'menu' icon, then tap the page you want. For mission/theater/folder-of-images it'll just give you a quick listing of pages, but for PDFs with table-of-contents data, it'll list that. If a PDF has hyperlinks, they'll work too

Is it possible to show the contents of a page within the VR kneepad as it is in the desktop app?

Or, if you're looking for the opposite, and want a non-VR 'preview' of the VR rendering, grab the 'remotecontrols' zip and use OpenKneeboard-Viewer.exe ; hit `s` to enable a streamer mode that makes it more suitable for OBS or similar.

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

7 hours ago, actually_fred said:

If you have a graphics tablet, tap the button in the top left with a 'menu' icon, then tap the page you want. For mission/theater/folder-of-images it'll just give you a quick listing of pages, but for PDFs with table-of-contents data, it'll list that. If a PDF has hyperlinks, they'll work too

Is that in VR? I didn't spot a menu button but that doesn't mean I just didn't see it 😄

Will have a play thanks.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

10 hours ago, actually_fred said:

Hi Fred, sorry but I am using DCS with OpenXR and in VR I do not have any menu icon at the top left.  The only way I have to switch from one tab to the other is to bind the command to something (keyboard/joystick etc).  Am I suppose to have one? 

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

If you got a table of content in a PDF or added a folder with a bunch of pics you get in the top left corner that button thingy. If these pre-requisites are not given, you can only navigate via buttons on the hotas or tablet. 

2 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

If you got a table of content in a PDF or added a folder with a bunch of pics you get in the top left corner that button thingy. If these pre-requisites are not given, you can only navigate via buttons on the hotas or tablet. 

Ok got it.  Yes if I add a PDF with more than 1 page as a new tab I get a menu icon.  But there is no menu to go from one tab to the next.

Another thing I noticed is that the kneeboard position is never the same when I get into my aircraft from one DCS session to the next.  Same aircraft, same measures in openKneeboard settings/VR but different position in the cockpit.   Weird.

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

21 hours ago, actually_fred said:

Found the menu button, I never even saw it before!
Works perfectly thanks 🙂

Edited by edmuss

On 5/7/2022 at 3:35 PM, Brainfreeze said:

yep.  got a one.  it works fine

Hey Brainfreeze, I'm getting a bit deeper into Open Kneeboard workings, the One doesn't have buttons, how do you switch tabs and pages with it?

I guess you might be able to bind hotas buttons to trigger the page switching programs? You would need to use an external program (like target for thrustmaster for example) to do so I think.

@actually_fredmight it be possible to have virtual buttons that can be tapped with the stylus instead of pressing physical buttons?

2 hours ago, Gianky said:

Hey Brainfreeze, I'm getting a bit deeper into Open Kneeboard workings, the One doesn't have buttons, how do you switch tabs and pages with it?

To go from 1 tab to the next I have bound some key on the keyboard (under settings page of openvr).  U can bind buttons on your hotas if u prefer.  Within a tab you can navigate using the menu icon that appears top left of your kneeboard in vr.

2 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

To go from 1 tab to the next I have bound some key on the keyboard (under settings page of openvr).  U can bind buttons on your hotas if u prefer.  Within a tab you can navigate using the menu icon that appears top left of your kneeboard in vr.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that you can bind controller inputs to open kneeboard 🙂

I'm not sure if you can use combinations/modifier controls though. I use my warthog pinky paddle as a modifier for everything, being able to do so certainly wouldn't hurt!

My huion tablet has 6 physical buttons but to be honest I think I might find it easier to have the tab controls bound to the hotas or a virtual button as above.

Thanks for your input guys.

I'm looking for a tablet that's small enough to be used on my tigh, just as I do with my Android tablet when I fly for real. It should be about 12 to 14 cm wide and 20 to 22 cm long. The One by Wacom seemed a good enough match, but I'm beginning to think I'd rather have physical buttons on the device.

How about Huion tablets? Do they have all the same software? The H430P it's even smaller than the measurements I gave above and have 4 buttons.

If anyone has another suggestion that matches more closely my ideal measurements, please do tell.

And, talking about software, are Wacom and Huion private data hungry? Do you have to give them a lot of personal info?

I use a huion 640p which is overall about 250x140mm with 6 buttons, it sits nicely on my thigh and works great.

I haven't had to register or enter an email for the the huion software, no logins just install, configure and go.

On 5/8/2022 at 5:05 PM, edmuss said:

I'm not sure if you can use combinations/modifier controls though.

Combinations work, as long as all the buttons are on the same device; for cross-device modifiers, something like joystick gremin works well. I'd be open to pull requests adding support for a more complex binding system, but don't plan to work on it myself

On 5/8/2022 at 5:34 PM, Gianky said:

I'm looking for a tablet that's small enough to be used on my tigh, just as I do with my Android tablet when I fly for real. It should be about 12 to 14 cm wide and 20 to 22 cm long. The One by Wacom seemed a good enough match, but I'm beginning to think I'd rather have physical buttons on the device.

How about Huion tablets? Do they have all the same software?

My personal preference is a small Wacom Intuos - this has a ~ 12x18cm drawable area, ~ 16x20cm total area including the buttons.

I use 3M command strips to attach it to something like https://www.amazon.com/Destination-Departure-Pilot-Kneeboard-Comfortable/dp/B087JZ3WNC/ - the dedicated pen/stylus clip at the top is handy.

I also have a Huion H640p; my impression is:

• no noticeable difference in writing/drawing feel for me for this use; Actual artists may strongly disagree 😛 
  • Wacom have much better/more reliable software; for OpenKneeboard in particular, the option to set the buttons to 'application defined' is useful. This makes binding them via OpenKneeboard's input settings work, rather than having to use 'remote control' helper programs via Huion's 'launch program' option, and also avoids the Huion drivers need to keep the mouse cursor within the DCS/OpenKneeboard windows.
  • the small Intuos is a better size
  • the large, recessed buttons on the Intuos are much easier to find and press while you've got a VR headset on
  • ... but the Huion is 'good enough', much cheaper, and has two more buttons
On 5/8/2022 at 6:55 PM, Gianky said:

better longer than wider.

Longer extends the writing area closer to your hips; you can crop the area in the driver settings, but when it's literally on my knee, I find writing near the bottom of the h640p a little uncomfortable.

Edited by actually_fred
  • Like 2

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.