Is the jugs dive speed correct.

westr

Just wondered if people find that the dive speed correct on the jug. I find it doesn’t catch up with a 109 in a dive, from what I’ve read it was unmatched in the dive. Anybody have any thoughts? 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Dive from what alt at least, P-47 dive performance wasn't same at all alt. Dive from high alt often end up with compressibility problem making elevator ineffective so total lost of control of the plane.

Definitely wasn't unmatched diver from what i have read , depends on P-47 versions, N or M get a lot of improvement in that regard but D beside compressibility flaps not so much.

Take note that K-4 encounter was extremally rare, by the time K-4 entered full service Luftwaffe was in bad shape. Mos of the encounter reports were with early versions of 109 or fw 190.

• Like 4

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 5 months later...

I have wondered the same question. I mostly fly only in single player, maybe that matters, but the P 47 shows no diving advantage in catching up to other planes, or escaping in a dive .  Robert S. Johnson though , seemed to think the diving ability of the P 47 was one of its greatest advantages, he mentions it in his book "Thunderbolt"  & also in this from an  old interview post  on the ACES High forum):

CCJ: What about facing the Fw 190 and Messerschmitts?

RSJ: The Focke Wulf reminded me of the Corsair. It was much smaller of course, but they both had similar maneuverability. It wasn't quite as fast, but turned well. It was unusual to find Focke Wulfs above us. Generally, we held the advantage in height.
The Me 109 was another story. They could often be seen up above 35,000 feet.

CCJ: What was the biggest mistake a German pilot could make?

RSJ: Trying to escape in a dive or split-S.

CCJ: Why?

RSJ: Because they were not going to out-run the Thunderbolt in a dive.

CCJ: You could catch them without a problem.

RSJ: I could catch them in nothing flat.

CCJ: Really?

RSJ: Absolutely. One thing about the 190, if the pilot continued his dive below 7 or 8 thousand feet, he could not pull out before he hit the ground. I guess they had compressibility problems or the elevators got too stiff. Whatever the problem was, I watched several of them pancake in before they could level off.

CCJ: What about the Thunderbolt?

RSJ: It did not have that problem down that low. Up high, above 25,000 feet, yes, I could get into compressibility and the elevators locked up like they were in concrete. But once you got down to thicker air, you regained control.

• Like 1