X52 mode switch

irfanahmed1979

Does the mode rotary switch on the X52 stick work as it is intended to in DCS?

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

Thank you both. @Sacarino111 I'll tryout your profile. Thanks again.

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

@Sacarino111I'm new to the logitech software. I've downloaded your profile and opened it in this logitech software:

Screenshot (1135).png

Don't know how to make it work with DCS.

The X52 stick really needs a stiffer spring and I need more practice 🙂

Hi

Short on time but...

Open the Logitech software

Select the Profile

On top left, there is a small blue circle like a aiming sight. Press it.

Close Logitech software

Open DCS, Select F-14, start any mission, open controls menu and start presssing buttons to see the assignements. Select RIO in the controls tab and mode position 1 for RIO and repeat pressing buttons to get the assignements

Once in cockpit again, remember the mode selector in position 1 is for RIO1 and position 3 is for pilot, so switch between those position to jump from pìlot to RIO.

Have to go!

Saludos.

Saca111

27 minutes ago, Sacarino111 said:

Hi

Short on time but...

Select the Profile

Close Logitech software

Open DCS, Select F-14, start any mission, open controls menu and start presssing buttons to see the assignements. Select RIO in the controls tab and mode position 1 for RIO and repeat pressing buttons to get the assignements

Once in cockpit again, remember the mode selector in position 1 is for RIO1 and position 3 is for pilot, so switch between those position to jump from pìlot to RIO.

Have to go!

Saludos.

Saca111

Thanks a lot!

Ok, thanks

43 minutes ago, Sacarino111 said:

Hi

Short on time but...

Select the Profile

Close Logitech software

Have to go!

Saludos.

Saca111

Well, I must be doing something wrong as only the profile that I had saved in DCS is loaded even though I followed all the above instructions. Thanks anyway.

I have a setup I like for the 14 as well if you're interested. Bindings are almost entirely done in DCS, so I only maintain a diagram.

Check the tray icon to make sure your profile is selected. Anything bound in the STT software will override bindings previously made in DCS.

30 minutes ago, iantron said:

I have a setup I like for the 14 as well if you're interested. Bindings are almost entirely done in DCS, so I only maintain a diagram.

Check the tray icon to make sure your profile is selected. Anything bound in the STT software will override bindings previously made in DCS.

...but I can't make that software work somehow 😞

If you have a profile INSIDE DCS,

Save it and then  erase it from the Options menu.

Then activate the Logitech profile in the PC (via the task bar or other)

Start any mission and go to options, controls, and check all buttons to get the idea of the lay out. As @iantronsaid, I do most of the bindings inside DCS, only a few are done via Logitech Software (throttle mouse is for Mic etc.)

If after all this you have no clue or you are not happy with the result, just erase the new bindings in DCS and load back the one you saved before.

I will be this morning on the PC, so I could help.

Saludos.

Saca111

4 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

If you have a profile INSIDE DCS,

Save it and then  erase it from the Options menu.

Then activate the Logitech profile in the PC (via the task bar or other)

Start any mission and go to options, controls, and check all buttons to get the idea of the lay out. As @iantronsaid, I do most of the bindings inside DCS, only a few are done via Logitech Software (throttle mouse is for Mic etc.)

If after all this you have no clue or you are not happy with the result, just erase the new bindings in DCS and load back the one you saved before.

I will be this morning on the PC, so I could help.

Saludos.

Saca111

Ok, thanks Saca111

Alright, I tried but the mode selector switch doesn't seem to do anything within DCS. I cleared all key bindings from my profile as you said initially but now when I reload the saved DCS profile I don't get them back. Strange.

Oddly enough, my Track IR views aren't working either. I've tried resetting them to default but nothing happens.

Alright, got the Track IR working again and have made a DCS profile. I have unistalled the Logitech software. I think it's not my cup of tea. Thanks anyway.

Edited by irfanahmed1979

Guys I really need help hooking up to the KC-130. The biggest problem I'm facing is that the tomcat bobs up or down. I use trim and the pitch to try and dampen it but it doesn't help. The vertical speed indicator needle hardly ever rests at 0. I'm using a wing sweep of 40 in manual mode. Also the HOTAS is the X52 as some of you may know by now.

I had the X52 and have since gone to the X55 but programming it is basically the same.  Here is what I do and what you have to keep in mind.

The mode witch really is not meant to be another button or function.  It is to select another set of keybinding that is set in the same profile.  So if you didn't have a mode selection knob and as an example only had 4 buttons, you only get 4 buttons to do 4 things.  But with the mode selection knob you would have only 4 buttons but you would now be able to have your HOTAS do 12 different things (4 things per mode).

So what I do is I have mode 1 set up with a bunch of pilot key commands.  If I switch to the RIO seat, then I turn the knob to mode 2, and I now have RIO commands.  If I use LANTIRN, then I switch to mode 3 and I have RIO LANTIRN commands.

Something else I do is actually use the profile software to generate keystrokes and then in DCS, for a function, I put the keystroke in under "keyboard" rather than pressing a joystick button under "joystick."  Otherwise, I am limiting my button to only that function.  For instance if I had it in mode 1 and I wanted button 1 to fire the gun, I can't have button 1 do anything else because DCS doesn't sense that I am in mode 1, it just receives commands from the mode the HOTAS is set to.  So if I have mode 1 button 1 to fire the gun and mode 2 button 1 to open the canopy but in DCS I set button 1 mode 1 to fire the gun, if I try to enter open canopy under "joystick" as button 1 mode 2, it won't be able to tell the difference in modes and will say that that is already assigned to firing the gun.

The other advantage of using the profile software is that you can set macros and advanced commands.  So for instance, if you want button 1 to release weapons, go to external weapon view, then back to the cockpit view in one push, you can have it do that.  You wouldn't be able to by just putting it into DCS as a button 1 command.

The last advantage of using the profile software is when a new patch comes out that wipes out your keybindings and you can't find your DCS one or didn't make one or back it up.  The HOTAS profile is independent of DCS, so if your key bindings get wiped out, you can just call up your profile, got to DCS, and for each function you have listed in your profile, go to it in DCS under "keyboard" and hit your button.  The HOTAS will transmit the keystroke you programmed into your HOTAS and DCS will think you are keystoking and fill it in the "keyboard" column.  Within a few minutes or less, you can have everything right again.

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

On 3/4/2022 at 4:56 AM, bonesvf103 said:

If I switch to the RIO seat, then I turn the knob to mode 2, and I now have RIO commands.

When you switch seats you use different DCS F-14 profile anyway. Also the Logitech/Saitek software method is one of many. I suggest using it only if you really need or want it badly. The mode switch can also be used as a switch (modifier) in DCS but it may not work perfectly as I heard. Check this thread guys:

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

6 hours ago, bonesvf103 said:

Something else I do is actually use the profile software to generate keystrokes and then in DCS, for a function, I put the keystroke in under "keyboard" rather than pressing a joystick button under "joystick."

So that bit is useful and I think I saw a guy doing exactly that (assigning keyboard keystrokes to buttons in side the profiler) in a YT video.

6 hours ago, bonesvf103 said:

it won't be able to tell the difference in modes and will say that that is already assigned to firing the gun.

Yes so how do you get the mode switch to work? Can you assign a keyboard keystroke to the mode switch in the profiler, for example LShift and then use the LShift modifier in DCS options to get multiple sets of keybindings?

Edited by irfanahmed1979
Typos

11 hours ago, irfanahmed1979 said:

Guys I really need help hooking up to the KC-130. The biggest problem I'm facing is that the tomcat bobs up or down. I use trim and the pitch to try and dampen it but it doesn't help. The vertical speed indicator needle hardly ever rests at 0. I'm using a wing sweep of 40 in manual mode. Also the HOTAS is the X52 as some of you may know by now.

Hi.

For AAR, wing sweep in manual or bombing, Little nose down trim, so you have to pull on the stick ever so slightly to stay level and if you want to descend, just release pressure on the stick ( i found that pushing to descend makes a very exagerated nose down motion). If the speed is a problem, as the throttle position is at the detent, open a bit the speedbrake.

Saludos

Saca111

3 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

Hi.

For AAR, wing sweep in manual or bombing, Little nose down trim, so you have to pull on the stick ever so slightly to stay level and if you want to descend, just release pressure on the stick ( i found that pushing to descend makes a very exagerated nose down motion). If the speed is a problem, as the throttle position is at the detent, open a bit the speedbrake.

Saludos

Saca111

Thank you!