Simple questions before buy MiG-21

FrostLaufeyson

I decided to buy this plane for several reasons
1. It is inextricably linked to my country
2. I heard it was the best cold war aircraft in the DCS
3. It's hard

I've been flying an F18 for a few months now, so wanted to try out how the old aircraft works. However, I had no knowledge of the Cold War era aircraft and was not sure if it would be suitable to be the first aircraft to study. Also, I heard that the MiG-21 in the DCS is not simulated very well, and some aspects are very different from reality, is this true? How about the blue side's F-5 by comparison (I'd rather try the red side's plane)?

By the way, my stereotype of Cold War planes is: they were all rockets. This might be a lot more exciting than the F18.

• Like 1

Some of the low speed handling is suspect, to be sure, but other than that it's outstanding. It's key to remember that a lot of complaints about that that I've seen over the year cite older, lighter MiG-21s. Those flight envelopes aren't that applicable to the bis. But, there's still some things about low speed that the team is looking at.

The F-5 is also a great airplane, but the MiG-21 has better performance in some key ways. I prefer the speed and power of the Fishbed. 

As for difficulty, I actually don't find it hard at all. It's quite a pleasant aircraft to fly so long as you fly it by the numbers. Basically, there's a problem solving flow chart to the MiG-21 and it boils down like this

My missiles aren't connecting with targets----------|
My maneuverability sucks---------------------------|-----> GO FASTER, YOU ARE TOO SLOW.
My gear keeps collapsing on landing----------------|

My engine just flamed out! -------------> Okay you went too fast, keep it below 1600kmh or 2.1, whichever comes first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I'd say there are more complaints about simplifications and flaws in weapons and avionics modeling than about flight model, which has gone through many revisions and seems to be quite solid when the plane is used within historical flight envelope parameters (that excludes typical multiplayer airquake gangbang).

Despite the issues, however, it's still fun and rewarding module to play. Just don't take real life manual too literally when learning DCS representation od the MiG.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

1. It's available to any country.
  2. Cold War lasted a while but A2A I think it performs well, mostly as an interceptor. It benefits greatly on external direction and radar coverage. Against a Mirage 2000 or similar big disadvantage. The AG capability is significant.
  3. I wouldn't say hard but more like less tolerant of creativity on the part of the pilot. If you fly it by the book it has little troubles. If you have the "nuts to the manual I'm just going to turn on every switch before the engine" personality you won't have a good time.
  • Thanks 1

14小时前,Art-J说:

I'd say there are more complaints about simplifications and flaws in weapons and avionics modeling than about flight model, which has gone through many revisions and seems to be quite solid when the plane is used within historical flight envelope parameters (that excludes typical multiplayer airquake gangbang).

Despite the issues, however, it's still fun and rewarding module to play. Just don't take real life manual too literally when learning DCS representation od the MiG.

The realism of the avionics and weapon system simulation is exactly what I worry about. Has the production team stated that they want to fix this part?

^ They've been fixing a little bit of this and that in the recent past, but it seems they won't do a full overhaul, because that would pretty much require rewriting lots of the original code from scratch. Which, in my opinion, is realistically not going to happen with: a) MiG being 8-years old product way past it's peak selling numbers; and b) two new modules being worked on (and being necessary) to keep the team afloat.

• Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

2小时前,Art-J说:

^ They've been fixing a little bit of this and that in the recent past, but it seems they won't do a full overhaul, because that would pretty much require rewriting lots of the original code from scratch. Which, in my opinion, is realistically not going to happen with: a) MiG being 8-years old product way past it's peak selling numbers; and b) two new modules being worked on (and being necessary) to keep the team afloat.

Get it, thanks

Well worth a shot, despite apparently some systems not being correctly modelled to real life counterparts, it's a so rewarding aircraft to fly, really fun, challenging but not that much really since you just have to adapt to that kind of aircraft, nothing alike modern aviation standards, but that's the cool part either, at least for my taste. Besides, on sales time it's not expensive at all. I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try if you like those Cold War birds and flying by the book procedures.

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 1 month later...

It's probably my most flown module, I stray to other modules but keep coming back to it. I know, there's a lot of switches and stuff in the cockpit that might scare som people away but most of them are just breakers, only thing I have mapped on my stick is ir/radar-missile switch, radar on/standby, radar lock and countermeasures dispense. Basically all you need for A-A. It really is just like some kind of primitive farming equipment, anyone can learn it easily. 😄

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...