HOTAS throttle as collective

I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this, but I thought I would share some pics of my Warthog "collective".

image.png

image.png

I mocked up a stand to hold the throttle at a 45 degree downward angle, then inverted the axis in game so that pulling up increases the collective.  It has a very convincing feel, I think, and helps me learn the correct muscle-memory for when/if I get a real collective.

Next step is to fabricate something to mount it to the chair.  Although, I kinda like being able to collapse it (it is hinged at the top joint) and lean it up against the wall when not in use.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this, but I thought I would share some pics of my Warthog "collective".

image.png

image.png

I mocked up a stand to hold the throttle at a 45 degree downward angle, then inverted the axis in game so that pulling up increases the collective.  It has a very convincing feel, I think, and helps me learn the correct muscle-memory for when/if I get a real collective.

Next step is to fabricate something to mount it to the chair.  Although, I kinda like being able to collapse it (it is hinged at the top joint) and lean it up against the wall when not in use.

I think this is not a good way to fly helicopter in dcs world (this is my idea). If you get used to it like an airplane throttle from the very beginning, I think you'll be more comfortable.I'm assuming that you're already flying a fighters usually. 

26 minutes ago, MertTunç said:

I think this is not a good way to fly helicopter in dcs world (this is my idea). If you get used to it like an airplane throttle from the very beginning, I think you'll be more comfortable.I'm assuming that you're already flying a fighters usually. 

For what it's worth, I switch between helos and fixed wing quite often with that throttle. My brain is able to easily distinguish the difference between how the craft act differently when I'm in them, and aside from when I was just learning helicopter flight, I don't have any issues anymore with moving the axis the wrong way by accident.

• Like 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

1 hour ago, unlikely_spider said:

For what it's worth, I switch between helos and fixed wing quite often with that throttle. My brain is able to easily distinguish the difference between how the craft act differently when I'm in them, and aside from when I was just learning helicopter flight, I don't have any issues anymore with moving the axis the wrong way by accident.

Try the Harrier and see how you transition between jets and helicopters....... It is a mental mind F&$% trying to bring the harrier into a hover landing.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate. OpenXR, Open XR tool kit disabled.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC.

Vaicom user. Virpil Mongoose base CM3 & Mongoose stick CM2 (not set for dead stick), Virpil TCS with apache Grip. MFG pedals with damper upgrade. Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.

I used my X52 and Warthog for 2 years before I built my collective, muscle memory soon kicks in and you naturally push / pull for power instinctively for what you fly.

I built this, it was totally DIY and cost around £140 all in and I love it, works great and I've found my rotary flying has improved.

I'm at work so can't upload the pictures directly so here's a link to my reddit post: 

Reddit

Try the Harrier and see how you transition between jets and helicopters....... It is a mental mind F&$% trying to bring the harrier into a hover landing.
I even have a dedicated collective for helicopters, but when I first started flying the Harrier, the amount of times I would go full throttle on touchdown was ridiculous. My brain now seems to figured that out and it knows to go to idle know.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

I use a TWCS throttle with bearing upgrade and just reverse the direction, rather then push forward I'm pulling back and it works just dandy! But, at the end of the day the devices we put our hands on really effect the immersion value. So it will be down a persons want/need vs budget. If your a smart cookie there is always Arduino and the 3D printer and building your own!

"Now how do I land this thing?" *Sound of pages turning*