OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

What you actually can’t stand is, after getting shafted by graphic card prices, you now have a 3090 with a liquid nitrogen loop - and babes in bikinis topping up the tank; thinking that you should have the best. You do in theory. But, you can squeeze a lot of 0.5-1% improvements which by themselves don't do much, but when combined can create large gains and even more if you are willing to put in the effort

@DirtyMike0330and the boys - Ill take a screen capture of a dogfight with rapid snap backs looks at 9/3 o clock so you can judge yourself what is smooth and what is not. I’ll try to also capture actual footage out of the headset

I will pre-phase that Reprojection is of course smoother because you’re locked into 90FPS, however there are no stutters except for the occasional DCS hiccup that happens no matter which way you’re looking. Also keep in mind that I’m running a lack lustre 3900X which [should] put me at a 15-20% disadvantage to you in the processor department

Also there is confusion in regards to Reprojection. Your GPU is made to render either 45FPS or 30FPS irrespective of what it can actually render. The additional frames that you would have without MR and those that are missing are thrown away and replaced with jank guesswork. This means that you’re simply getting one real frame and one guessed frame followed by real frame etc. There no difference between Reprojection with a GPU which can potentially render 50FPS or 85FPS at the same settings. Both produce exactly the same image

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1

Has anyone tried this using a PiMax 5K? I ask because PiTool must be running to start the headset up it doesn't use WMR as far as I know. Do I just uninstall steamvr do the install steps here fire up PiTool then DCS? I finally got my stuff somewhat ironed out and would hate to loose out on all that work by trying to switch. I do need better clarity on my HUD and MFD's for sure and if this helps with that I am all for it.

33 minutes ago, hawk4me said:

Has anyone tried this using a PiMax 5K? I ask because PiTool must be running to start the headset up it doesn't use WMR as far as I know. Do I just uninstall steamvr do the install steps here fire up PiTool then DCS? I finally got my stuff somewhat ironed out and would hate to loose out on all that work by trying to switch. I do need better clarity on my HUD and MFD's for sure and if this helps with that I am all for it.

Have you tried this?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

I spent quite some time today dialing in settings for a stable 45fps MR and 30fps MR and I'm trying to make up my mind which option to go with.

I do see the advantages of 45fps MR but only in very few situations (fly-by views, missile launches).

The amount of eye candy I have to give up for 45 fps has me almost convinced that I'll go with the 30fps setting.

Regarding DCS there was always the saying that VR is for immersion and flat screen is for good graphics.

With OpenXR and 30fps MR this saying is not really true anymore since I can basically select all the eye candy DCS has to offer (Ultra clouds, good shadows etc.) while still having the immersion offered by VR.

Flying through Beirut in the Apache at street level while having rock solid VR performance and great graphics is absolutely fantastic!

• Thanks 1

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

3 hours ago, nikoel said:

What you actually can’t stand is after getting shafted by graphic card prices you now have a 3090 with a liquid nitrogen loop and babes in bikinis topping up the tank thinking that you should have the best. You do; in theory. Unfortunately it turns out that you can squeeze a lot of 0.5-1% improvements and even more if you understand what you’re doing and willing to put in the effort

@DirtyMike0330and the boys - Ill take a screen capture of a dogfight with rapid snap backs looks at 9/3 o clock so you can judge yourself what is smooth and what is not

I will pre-phase that Reprojection is of course smoother because you’re locked into 90FPS, however there are no stutters except for the occasional DCS hiccup that happens no matter which way you’re looking. Also keep in mind that I’m running a lack lustre 3900X which [should] put me at a 15-20% disadvantage to you in the processor department (well in theory anyway)

Also there is confusion in regards to Reprojection. Your GPU is made to render either 45FPS or 30FPS irrespective of what it can actually render. The additional frames that you would have without MR and those that are missing are thrown away and replaced with jank guesswork. This means that you’re simply getting one real frame and one guessed frame. There no difference between Reprojection with a GPU which can potentially render 50FPS or 85FPS at the same settings. Both produce exactly the same image

1. I got my 3090 at MSRP

2. How dare you! 😄

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Have you tried this?

Have not tried that mod yet as I am debating on moving to OpenXR or not. PiMax stuff is touchy on what it will or will not work with and curious as to if it will work. I don't want to install WMR on my machine if I can help it. Between PiTool sampling, Steam Sampling, DCS Sampling the damned image is messed with 3 time's before it goes on display. That alone is cause for half the issues DCS has with it's VR.

45 minutes ago, hawk4me said:

Have not tried that mod yet as I am debating on moving to OpenXR or not. PiMax stuff is touchy on what it will or will not work with and curious as to if it will work. I don't want to install WMR on my machine if I can help it. Between PiTool sampling, Steam Sampling, DCS Sampling the damned image is messed with 3 time's before it goes on display. That alone is cause for half the issues DCS has with it's VR.

Its always best to stay with the proprietary software for your headset. That way you know the devs didnt cheap their way out of a quality product by writing software thats best suited for their stuff.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+/ AH64D grip/custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 + Odyssey Ark | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro
 My wallpaper and skins

Is there any way to get rid of the ghosting effect of the IHADS overlay numbers and info when turning my head left and right? 

Got a 3090. Been mixing back and forth with MR, but the rotorblades are really messing everyting up with MR on. So I have decided to without, and trying to tweak it so that I dont get as much ghosting on everything. 

1 hour ago, corb said:

Is there any way to get rid of the ghosting effect of the IHADS overlay numbers and info when turning my head left and right? 

Got a 3090. Been mixing back and forth with MR, but the rotorblades are really messing everyting up with MR on. So I have decided to without, and trying to tweak it so that I dont get as much ghosting on everything. 

Interesting I dont get the ghosting and dont use MR at all. Rotoblades are also no problem at all.

I have VSYNC set to FAST in Nvidia CP 3d settings which helps with any tearing.
I have PD @1.0 and OpenXR render scale at 100% and use the following settings.
I also use the OpenXR runtime and NOT the steamVR runtime.

i9 9900k all cores @5ghz

EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming

M.2 drives and 64GB corsair vengeance @3200

OCXR_WMR_ACC_v0.6.3

OpenXR toolkit Beta-3 v1.0.4 (newer version drops my FPS)

I also use FSR instead of NIS as it's a far better image on my G2 rev2.

Hope any of this helps.

MSFS_openXR_toolkit - Performance.JPG

MSFS_openXR_menu.JPG

OpenXR_Toolkit_settings - appearance.JPG

Pyro_VR_settings.JPG

wheelie

Windows10, RTX4090 OC, i9-9900k @ 5ghz all cores, 64gb DDR3600 ram, M.2 boot drive and crucial SSD's, M.2 for DCS.
VR user Varjo Aero, Virpil Throttle and Base with Thrustmaster sticks.

2 hours ago, chichowalker said:

Another interesting test for those who are flying without MR. Maybe is my perception but ghosting has decreased a little bit activating Vsync in DCS options. 

Can anybody check this and post results? 

Finger crossed!!!!

Try changing Vsync to fast in Nvidia CP 3d settings and leave it off in game.

wheelie

Windows10, RTX4090 OC, i9-9900k @ 5ghz all cores, 64gb DDR3600 ram, M.2 boot drive and crucial SSD's, M.2 for DCS.

13 minutes ago, wheelie said:

Did you compare performance of your Custom FFR setting vs Preset ?

I found that using Custom always gives me WORSE performance than the Preset, regardless of the settings. I thought its a bug.

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

5 minutes ago, winghunter said:

Did you compare performance of your Custom FFR setting vs Preset ?

I found that using Custom always gives me WORSE performance than the Preset, regardless of the settings. I thought its a bug.

I've not actually as I am happy to lose a bit of FPS for more clarity and screeen eye candy, i'll give it a go though. Thankfully i don't have any issues at all with FPS now.

wheelie

8 hours ago, nikoel said:

I'm sorry my man, I thought your username was a play and reference to this: 

It totally is 😂

• Like 1

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

4 hours ago, wheelie said:

Interesting I dont get the ghosting and dont use MR at all. Rotoblades are also no problem at all.

I have VSYNC set to FAST in Nvidia CP 3d settings which helps with any tearing.
I have PD @1.0 and OpenXR render scale at 100% and use the following settings.
I also use the OpenXR runtime and NOT the steamVR runtime.

i9 9900k all cores @5ghz

EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming

M.2 drives and 64GB corsair vengeance @3200

OCXR_WMR_ACC_v0.6.3

OpenXR toolkit Beta-3 v1.0.4 (newer version drops my FPS)

I also use FSR instead of NIS as it's a far better image on my G2 rev2.

Hope any of this helps.

MSFS_openXR_menu.JPG

OpenXR_Toolkit_settings - appearance.JPG

Pyro_VR_settings.JPG

Hey thanks for the effort. I have setup my DCS with exact same settings as you, also downgraded to the Toolkit 1.0.4. 

But still IHADS ghosting a lot when moving head around. Look in my video how the Airspeed "0" turns into two zeroes when moving head or the Torque percentage, barly readable when moving head. I cannot figure out how to get around this.. 
Did a clean install of DCS prior to switching to OpenXR. 
Got it set to 100% resolution and MR Disabled. 
NVidia Control panel set to default, except Vertical Sync set to Fast. Latest drivers.
Got a Asus RTX 3090, i9 11900K, 32 Gb Ram running at 3000 mhz. M2 Pcie 4.0 drive for DCS. 

Edited by corb

26 minutes ago, corb said:

Hey thanks for the effort. I have setup my DCS with exact same settings as you, also downgraded to the Toolkit 1.0.4. 

But still IHADS ghosting a lot when moving head around. Look in my video how the Airspeed "0" turns into two zeroes when moving head or the Torque percentage, barly readable when moving head. I cannot figure out how to get around this.. 
NVidia Control panel set to default, except Vertical Sync set to Fast. Latest drivers.
Got a Asus RTX 3090, i9 11900K, 32 Gb Ram running at 3000 mhz. M2 Pcie 4.0 drive for DCS. 

Interesting corb the only time i've seen anything like that was when i was using NIS as the scaler and had an issue with reshade.

I changed it to FSR and reinstalled reshade to get around it, it was also accompanied by a weird "scooby do" effect on the lenses.

Do you have the openvr_mod.cfg file in your bin folder by any chance?
If so change the line to:

"useNIS": false,

"renderScale": 0.77,

"sharpness": 0/9,

May  be worth also changing "applyMIPBias": true, to false.

Not sure why these would still play a part but if its there either change it or rename it so it's not used.

I noticed that it also cleans up when you're looking away from the rotors.

One other thought mate you don't have HAG on do you?

Capture.JPG

Edited by wheelie

wheelie

1 hour ago, wheelie said:

Interesting corb the only time i've seen anything like that was when i was using NIS as the scaler and had an issue with reshade.

I changed it to FSR and reinstalled reshade to get around it, it was also accompanied by a weird "scooby do" effect on the lenses.

Do you have the openvr_mod.cfg file in your bin folder by any chance?
If so change the line to:

"useNIS": false,

"renderScale": 0.77,

"sharpness": 0/9,

May  be worth also changing "applyMIPBias": true, to false.

Not sure why these would still play a part but if its there either change it or rename it so it's not used.

I noticed that it also cleans up when you're looking away from the rotors.

One other thought mate you don't have HAG on do you?

Capture.JPG

Hmm, I don´t have openvr_mod.cfg anywhere. Didnt see it in the first post as a requirement for OpenXR? Maybe its the missing link?

Hardware scheduleing was off, and Xbox bar was off. 

Do you have Telegram? Maybe we can do a chat support if you have time? ..so we dont flood this thread 😃
If you want, you can contact me here: https://t.me/coRb1

4 hours ago, corb said:

I have similar juddering with reprojection turned off and can't get a smooth image without reprojection. I've gone as far as a clean windows install. Happens with or without the toolkit installed. If I can get above 90fps the judder stops.

I just use reprojection because it feels smooth and the ghosting is less bad, but would love to find a fix.

21 minutes ago, theperson said:

I have similar juddering with reprojection turned off and can't get a smooth image without reprojection. I've gone as far as a clean windows install. Happens with or without the toolkit installed. If I can get above 90fps the judder stops.

I just use reprojection because it feels smooth and the ghosting is less bad, but would love to find a fix.

see my posts on the previous page in this thread for why that's happening....

I think @nikoeldid something with the monocle settings for the Apache, something to do with turning the balaclava off?

I don't have the module so can't comment directly but I know he had issues with it initially.

If you've got A10C-11 does the HMCS display correctly for you or jitter in the same manner?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

For those using NIS, I read in the FAQ for OpenXR Toolkit that you should disable it in the NVidia control panel as you are effectively running it once for the desktop and once for the VR headset. Turning it off might in some cases give you some performance overhead advantage.

Some other things that might help:

1. Turn off the shaking reduction (set to 0%) may give a tiny boost. I found whatever it was set to made no difference so turned it off. Initially I thought it reduced the wobble in the menus when I set it to 0% but not convinced now.
  2. Turn off the FPS counter once you think you are near or at the optimal settings for your hardware - every little bit of CPU helps no?

OpenXR is a day and night game changer. Initially I was not impressed with OpenXR but something clicked this week. Not sure what it was, maybe turning clouds right down, but it's now very very smooth with no judder and I have pretty much everything maxed out except clouds (standard) and turned off grass/clutter (might turn that back on and try again). NIS set to 80%. Customised render scale at 100%. MSAA x4. Visibility range at extreme. Blah blah blah... see the screenshot. Oh I have MR on too. Without MR I get ghosting badly even with things turned down.

Flying the F-16 Viper with a G2, 3080Ti, 64GB RAM @ 2666MHz, i9-10900K @ 4.8GHz (or so - can't remember exactly), rebar enabled.

I am not running any other mods at all, i,e., shaders etc. Only that stated in the first post to use OpenXR.

2022-04-06 20_35_33-FAQ _ OpenXR Toolkit and 5 more pages - Personal - Microsoft Edge.png

2022-04-06 21_02_45-[Update 1_4 V0.6.3] OpenXR Quickstart Guide (For G2, G1 and other Headsets) - Pa.png

Edited by slughead
  • Like 1