OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

2 hours ago, mbucchia said:

Attach a screenshot if unsure.

was XRNeckSaferApp

uninstall older version and install latest following below tutorial(if anybody have similar problem). now all is ok. Thank You For Your Support!

1. Uninstall old version before installing! (see below)
  2. Download the installer: XRNeckSaferBeta4a.msi
  3. Run the installer
  4. Start XRNeckSaferApp.exe and go to OpenXR in the Menu on top. Select "Show active OpenXR API Layers" This should list all the active Layers and should include "XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_XRNeckSafer"
  5. If this works you can configure XRNeckSafer as before
  6. Once in game press the combined Game/XRNS center button
  7. Uninstallation of beta4a can now be done with the installer or via windows uninstall

Uninstallation of older versions (before beta4)

1. Stop OpenXR Runtime (Mixed-Reality-Portal for Reverb G2)
  2. Go to %ProgramFiles%\OpenXrApiLayer folder and run "Uninstall-XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_XRNeckSafer.ps1" as a PowerShell script (right click on it and select "Execute with PowerShell"). This will uninstall the API Layer.
  3. If the API layer was uninstalled correctly (check with Show active OpenXR API Layers menu item in XRNeckSaferApp.exe) you can delete the %ProgramFiles%\OpenXrApiLayer folder
  4. Now you can delete the folder containing XRNeckSaferApp.exe

openxr.jpg

Edited by muzica9
  • Like 1

Hello guys, I want to tell you a little about my research and the truth is that I have obtained magnificent results with DCS and HP Reverb G2. This may be applicable to other systems but I don't know. Now I have my simulator as if I had the reprojection activated but without having it and with an amazing smoothness and WITHOUT ARTIFACTS, the latter is the best. The first thing I followed the advice of my colleague ChichoWalker in this post to get the maximum number of frames possible. I also deactivated the MSAA that on top of eating many frames gives me the feeling that everything is blurrier, I prefer to raise the resolution to avoid saw teeth than to use MSAA, lower frames and lose sharpness (also DCS in its VR preset does it deactivated by default, it seems that this is not fine with VR) the latter is a matter of taste. Also activate Turbo Mode within the OpenXR Toolkit and it seems that I gained something else too, although not much (at the moment, although this option is experimental, it seems to work for me). Once I have gained all the possible frames that I can in my system, and here comes the trick, I activated the Frame rate throttling function within the toolkit and set it to exactly 45 FPS, this function basically makes DCS never exceed those frames And in highly loaded scenarios, if they have to lower the frames, they will obviously drop, but we won't have the problem of artifacts because the reprojection tries to keep the frames at 45 at any cost. Setting it to 45 is for the Reverbs whose nominal rate is 90 and you always have to use multiples of this amount (eg 1/2=45, 1/3=30, 1/4=22.5), I have set the which best suits my system but in poorer systems this rate can be lowered to achieve similar effects. In addition, the crazy frame jumps disappear. Now the truth is that I enjoy my flights until one day DCS put us a new graphic engine or improve the issue of reprojection. I hope my experience is useful to you. Thanks.

Puede que esto sea aplicable a otros sistemas pero lo desconozco.

Edited by Silver_
  • Like 1

Just for reference, turbo mode disables all forms of reprojection, even if you drop below the framerate throttle 🙂

What you're describing is effectively what some people have been using with openxr for about 8 months. Some find that the sweetspot is different, for me 55fps is a touch smoother than 45 but there's not a huge amount in it.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

11 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Just for reference, turbo mode disables all forms of reprojection, even if you drop below the framerate throttle 🙂

What you're describing is effectively what some people have been using with openxr for about 8 months. Some find that the sweetspot is different, for me 55fps is a touch smoother than 45 but there's not a huge amount in it.

I'll try without Turbo mode, Thanks.

I haven't seen any post that talks about Frame rate Throtling, almost all of them talk about activating reprojection, that's why I published it. I'm glad there are more people using it for a long time.

55 frames as long as your system supports it, otherwise I don't think it will be smoother. In addition, the ideal is to always be in synchronism with the frequency of your glasses

Edited by Silver_

15 minutes ago, Silver_ said:

I'll try without Turbo mode, Thanks.

I haven't seen any post that talks about Frame rate Throtling, almost all of them talk about activating reprojection, that's why I published it. I'm glad there are more people using it for a long time.

55 frames as long as your system supports it, otherwise I don't think it will be smoother. In addition, the ideal is to always be in synchronism with the frequency of your glasses

You may have missed it, but I’ve put it into the guide on first page. It’s mentioned several times 

55FPS lock works best because you are still close to half the refresh rate (45hz) with an addition of early frames

So far Thud, Edmuss and a bunch of other VR tinkerers who have highly optimised systems have used it to a great effect, which makes me confident it’s not an individual one-off

3 minutes ago, nikoel said:

You may have missed it, but I’ve put it into the guide on first page. It’s mentioned several times 

55FPS lock works best because you are still close to half the refresh rate (45hz) with an addition of early frames

So far Thud, Edmuss and a bunch of other VR tinkerers who have highly optimised systems have used it to a great effect, which makes me confident it’s not an individual one-off

I mean the Frame Rate Throttling adjustment, sorry but I still don't see it recommend it anywhere. Regarding the 55, I will not be the one to highlight it, but at least I see it strange if your system is not capable of reaching them.

On 3/17/2022 at 7:33 PM, nikoel said:

Finally, I *Highly* Recommend staying away from ASW/Reprojection and instead using the OpenXR Toolkit to lock yourself to 55FPS for a 90HZ headset such as Reverb G2. Going above that rate will likely give you stutters unless you can reach the magical 90FPS mark. Doing so consistently is a fools errand. Even 4090 owners will get CPU limited in DCS

Reprojection

It's currently not great. (Especially on AMD cards it’s garbage) - generally a bit wonky where there are distortions & strobing (eg rotor blades, WWII aircraft) but works. You are injecting artificial frames which guess. Clarity will suffer.

If you are able to render above 45FPS (or 50% of your refresh rate). Are really not into this reprojection business (unfortunately AMD Cards suck balls when it comes to reprojection/ASW) but are getting judding/rippling/stuttering. Use the toolkit to lock FPS to ~46. Dont be afraid to experiment with different FPS figures. The balance lies somewhere around 45-60FPS but YMMV - also you need to be able to actually render the frames you're locking yourself to

@Silver_ Here are some quotes

I am glad it's working for you and you're enjoying DCS with OpenXR

Edited by nikoel

1 hour ago, nikoel said:

@Silver_ Here are some quotes

I am glad it's working for you and you're enjoying DCS with OpenXR

The funny thing is that nowhere does it appear to modify the Frame Rate Throttling parameter, a small mention of this would be nice, that's why I have done it. Things cannot be taken for granted. Anyway thanks for the correction and for you job.

3 hours ago, nikoel said:

As with all things if it works for you awesome, for me locking frame rate leaves the whole thing a blurry juddering mess, (out the front its fine) out the sides its horrible.  My current approach which is achievable is to use 60hz (shock horror... which i trained myself not to hate 🙂 ) and neither use reprojection or frame rate locking .

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

with turbo mode off, it just looks like i have blurry/double vision when i look out the side but it is "smooth" blurry/double vision...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I have been wondering lately if Res. of Cockpit Displays has any impact on VR when it is set to ANYTHING BUT "every frame".  I am wondering if not having it at every frame mucks up the timing gears somehow.  I have mine set to 1024 Every Frame.  VR is very smooth for me.

as do i 

but i dont think it does anything to framerate consistency 

• Like 1

5 минут назад, speed-of-heat сказал:

as do i 

but i dont think it does anything to framerate consistency 

It definitely did have fps impact when I tested it. Try ka-50 BS2 fast take off mission and put shkval on the city nearby. You are going to see different CPU and GPU times with every frame or not, if your resolution is high enough to be on a limit of frame drops. Same also goes for a10c II IR TGP, at least I was clearly seeing the difference when testing 2.7 at some point. I believe it's easier to see on a CPU heavy scenes, like the cities. Not critical though, was always flying 1024 every frame with 3080ti on 2.7.

I have tried it with motion reprojection disabled but I never get an option for frame rate throttling - it just shows off as an option.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

3 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

you have to select left CTRL + F1  or however you have to set it up

Everything else I have multiple options for (e.g. FPS display) and I can select the option . I simply have off as the only option for frame rate throttling.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

go down to where its says frame rate throttling off, and then select left (and keep on selecting left until you get to the desire target frame rate)

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

go down to where its says frame rate throttling off, and then select left (and keep on selecting left until you get to the desire target frame rate)

That is what I was missing. Thank you so much.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

That is what I was missing. Thank you so much.

my pleasure 

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

My current approach which is achievable is to use 60hz (shock horror... which i trained myself not to hate 🙂 ) and neither use reprojection or frame rate locking .

i get instant sick with 60hz. my eyes can not take it. in 60 Hz i see flickering/strobing

Edited by muzica9

1 hour ago, muzica9 said:

i get instant sick with 60hz. my eyes can not take it. in 60 Hz i see flickering/strobing

I was exactly the same. It took a long timentp acclimatise myself to it, starting with 5 min sessions and building from there.

I also turned down the first gama I game, and used the sunglasses option in oxrt

9 hours ago, edmuss said:

Just for reference, turbo mode disables all forms of reprojection, even if you drop below the framerate throttle

This isn't entirely correct. Turbo Mode will interfere with Motion reprojection, but it is being discussed as "turn it off" anyway in the conversation.

Turbo Mode heavily relies on Spatial reprojection (something that is always on), it makes it work a little harder due to extra latency, but it's an essential part of the process. Without it, Turbo Mode would create a wobbly mess.

Regarding WMR Motion reprojection, some significant improvements are currently in testing before release, and my tester with DCS claimed "it looks significantly better for me [on a 3080Ti]".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

29 minutes ago, mbucchia said:

Regarding WMR Motion reprojection, some significant improvements are currently in testing before release, and my tester with DCS claimed "it looks significantly better for me [on a 3080Ti]".

fingers crossed, and thanks for your continued work on this for the VR community as a whole!

• Like 1