OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

3 hours ago, slughead said:

@mbucchiaI noticed an update for OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality on the MS Store today (112.2211.2002.0) but no mention of this build on github. Do you have a release note for this build / details of changes please?

This update only includes one change which is needed for Minecraft and only affects Minecraft.

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

I don't think so, because all of the tools we use are external to Microsoft, they're not actually part of Windows or WMR.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

9 hours ago, edmuss said:

Update to openxr toolkit, not tested all functionality yet as I'm working away from home.

New experimental turbo mode has been added, this can increase performance in certain circumstances. I've seen up to 15fps increase at times. Only works without reprojection.

Also CAS sharpening so you don't need to enable FSR to sharpen.

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

Well, I can report my stuttering is gone and my frametimes are back to what I would expect them to be(having always run at 60HZ). No frame rate dips into the low 50's now.

I gave 90HZ another try... looks amazing and while any stutter I had before (non MR) which was unplayable, is now best I can describe like motion blur, seen only if banking or rolling very hard. This was flying FA-18 free flight over Batumi. 

I will enable the record stats feature this evening and get some data with/without Turbo mode if anyone cares to see it.

BTW, where are these logs stored?

22 minutes ago, edmuss said:

I don't think so, because all of the tools we use are external to Microsoft, they're not actually part of Windows or WMR.

Is the OpenXR Tools For Windows Mixed Reality from the MS store the proper one?

Screenshot 2022-11-03 123259.jpg

Edited by Sr.
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

41 minutes ago, Sr. said:

I will enable the record stats feature this evening and get some data with/without Turbo mode if anyone cares to see it.

For general awareness where the stats are stored: Other | OpenXR Toolkit (mbucchia.github.io)

However, beware that Turbo Mode will interfere with the app CPU/GPU frame time measurements as explained on that same page:

Turbo mode can also have undesired side effects:
* Any statistics or performance measuring tool might now present incorrect data

The frame rate will be correct, and I'm pretty sure app GPU time will be correct most of the time, but app CPU will be altered. For example if you are below 11.1ms/frame, you will read 11.1ms app CPU. Basically, the way Turbo Mode alters the frame timing, it makes it not possible to correctly measure app frame times correctly.

Edited by mbucchia

Just wanted to add a thing to my earlier post from today, when I posted here that I have some crashes since the update to 2.8, because it only happened in OpenXR. I now also had a crash in SVR when testing, so this is not related to OpenXR. Already sent three crash-reports today....

Still OpenXR is way better IMO than SVR.

I have a question concerning the new Turbo Mode in OpenXR Toolkit.

If i want to use it together witch motion reprojection - i need to activate the Lock motion reprojection option in the OpenXR toolkit?
Or is it enough to set motion reprojection to "Always on" in the OpenXR (Dev) Tools for Windows Mixed Reality?

13 minutes ago, Sile said:

I have a question concerning the new Turbo Mode in OpenXR Toolkit.

If i want to use it together witch motion reprojection - i need to activate the Lock motion reprojection option in the OpenXR toolkit?
Or is it enough to set motion reprojection to "Always on" in the OpenXR (Dev) Tools for Windows Mixed Reality?

This should explain it for you:

Other | OpenXR Toolkit (mbucchia.github.io)

I followed the steps in post 1, short of the toolkit. The mirror screen on my 2d monitor shows up, and the view changes as I move the headset (a G2). But the headset does not show anything. I saw the guide say it's going to take a while to load  the first time. But after over 10min, it's still blank. Is that normal? What am I missing? I saw some earlier guidance seemed to say some dll files needed to be copied. But the guide here doesn't. Do I still need to?

Edited by wanderer108

Quick question if you set reprojection in openxr tools to always on and its off in openxr toolkit is it on or off?

Flight Rig: Ryzen 7 5800X; 32 Gig DDR4 3600; Focus 1000W; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 TI OC Edition; Corsair 500D Airflow VR: HP Reverb G2

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 3900X; 32 Gig DDR4 3000; Gigabyte 3070 TI OC Edition; Phanteks Eclipse P400

Thanks that helped.

Flight Rig: Ryzen 7 5800X; 32 Gig DDR4 3600; Focus 1000W; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 TI OC Edition; Corsair 500D Airflow VR: HP Reverb G2

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 3900X; 32 Gig DDR4 3000; Gigabyte 3070 TI OC Edition; Phanteks Eclipse P400

• 2 weeks later...

G2 user here, just wondering if it's worth going to OpenXR over SteamVR right now with 2.8? (Haven't played for the last few major OB patches and never went the OpenXR route)

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

DCS version doesn't matter, you still get the same differences between openxr and steamvr 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

On 10/2/2022 at 4:28 PM, Mr_sukebe said:

A note of thanks to the various posters within this thread.  Just got OpenXR up and running with DCS, including the XRnecksafer, with my Rift S.  Ace stuff.

Now fully prepped for the arrival of the Neo Pico 4.

Does Pico 4 support OpenXR?! If so, how? I have Rift S running on OpenXR so I would like to know.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Does Pico 4 support OpenXR?! If so, how? I have Rift S running on OpenXR so I would like to know.

Pico on PC only supports OpenXR via SteamVR (like HTC Vive and Valve Index). You won't gain from OpenComposite, unless you want to use OpenXR Toolkit (but then you can also use vrperfkit without using OpenComposite).

(Pico does support OpenXR "natively" but only for Android apps running on the headset, not for PC apps).

• Thanks 1

This Mod was the biggest change for me. I was considering a 4090 upgrade from a 3090 and a 5950x as I was still getting stuttering and had to have things turned down. This has now changed and I'm falling back in love with DCS. (never really fell out as such just frustrated) Eye candy now turned up a fair bit. Although I have just upgraded to a 7950x 64gb DDR5 ram.. So that may also be helping..

Still the pull of a 4090 is still there.......