SCUD Busters mission problems

RafaPolit

Hello! Thanks for already having some missions in at launch.

I was prepping for the SCUD Busters mission, but the kneeboard waypoints are, partially, wrong.

Screen_220319_153117.png

• The second point HA52 is, probably, 0313 8941 (instead of 3013), as that correctly follows the other kneeboard map image with symbols included (and matches the height perfectly, so I think this is a typo on the kneeboard and probably really easy to fix).
  • Both TG points have KN coordinates. This, to me, appears to be Caucasus map coordinates.  Not anything that would be useful in this map.  Changing to CA or CV coordinates, they are still a little out of bounds of what is probably useful.
  • Point MBM is unclear to me if it should be a CM or a TG point, but it correctly registers as "red" so this is probably just cosmetic?

Other than that, doing a "cheat" autostart on the mission only starts engine 1.  Maybe this is a general bug and not specific to this mission?

Thanks again,

Rafa.

Edited by RafaPolit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

I noticed the kneeboard errors myself when I tried. 

Regarding MBM, I *think* you don't need to worry about selecting the point type on the TSD, as the actual type will correct itself when you enter the type code (in this case "EU") into the KEU. I think you only need to ensure you have the correct WP/CM/HZ/TG selected on the TSD itself if dropping a point using the cursor. Please do let me know if I'm wrong about this.

• ED Team
7 minutes ago, frostycab said:

I *think* you don't need to worry about selecting the point type on the TSD, as the actual type will correct itself when you enter the type code

Currently, the TSD is auto-correcting to the correct point type if the wrong IDENT code is used for that type (WP, HZ, CM, or TG), but this is inaccurate behavior. What should be happening is if you try to enter EU as the IDENT code without selecting CM as the point type first, the KU should flash at you to indicate an invalid IDENT code entry. If this is properly corrected in the future, you will have to ensure you select the correct type prior to pressing IDENT>.

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

18 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Currently, the TSD is auto-correcting to the correct point type if the wrong IDENT code is used for that type (WP, HZ, CM, or TG), but this is inaccurate behavior. What should be happening is if you try to enter EU as the IDENT code without selecting CM as the point type first, the KU should flash at you to indicate an invalid IDENT code entry. If this is properly corrected in the future, you will have to ensure you select the correct type prior to pressing IDENT>.

Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

Hi @RafaPolit - I'm the mission creator. Will fix the kneeboard today - look for it in an upcoming patch. (This was created when I was typing the coordinates onto the card; since I figured out a copy/paste system which avoids transcription error)

Yes, the bottom two TG points were "left overs" from recycling the kneeboard template - already deleted.

For @frostycab, to add on to Raptor9,TYPE does matter. The example is the Assembly Area CM vs the AAA TG. Both IDENTS are AA. So you have to enter CM or TG…or you might find yourself "Assembling" over enemy AAA😮

EU, the IDENT for Enemy - Unidentified, is a useful code in that it will put the FREE inside the icon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

R/ Hangar 200

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 hours ago, Hangar200 said:

For @frostycab, to add on to Raptor9,TYPE does matter. The example is the Assembly Area CM vs the AAA TG. Both IDENTS are AA. So you have to enter CM or TG…or you might find yourself "Assembling" over enemy AAA😮

Thanks for that. I hadn’t noticed that types codes weren’t unique. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hangar200 said:

Hi @RafaPolit - I'm the mission creator. Will fix the kneeboard today - look for it in an upcoming patch. (This was created when I was typing the coordinates onto the card; since I figured out a copy/paste system which avoids transcription error)

Yes, the bottom two TG points were "left overs" from recycling the kneeboard template - already deleted.

EU, the IDENT for Enemy - Unidentified, is a useful code in that it will put the FREE inside the icon. 

Great to know! Thanks for the mission.  It really is a fun mission.  Hard enough to get it to try several times, but seems doable (not yet completed).

Maybe the wait is a bit too long, but OKish.  At initial setup weight the Apache will just NOT hover above a few feet, so I have resulted to reducing a bit of fuel and changing the rockets for another set of missiles.  Not sure if this was intended (to have the helo heavy on startup).

Again, thanks!

Yes, the AH-64D weight is supposed to be an "issue" regarding hovering OGE in the target area - I worked with actual AH-64D pilots to get the figures in the ball park but just barely. It is the Hot and High challenge.  My solution is usually to drop some gas and hope I have enough. The first time I played through this, I didn't get all the MRBMs and landed on fumes. 😬

The "wait" - I assume for the USAF to do their job and take out the SAM?  You must be a better pilot than I! 😁  I seem to get to the Hold Point just as they are shooting. I'll take a look at that if/when I reedit the mission at a later date. 🙂

Thanks for the feedback.  Extremely helpful.

R/ Hangar 200

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually, I enjoy it quite a bit.  Yeah, I reach the hold area more or less when the F16 are shooting, but the "all air defenses down, proceed" message comes some 5 minutes AFTER the last "kill" report from the F16s... maybe it's waiting for the Hi-8 to do their thing?

One additional thing I like to see in missions is: once you get all the MRMBs, it would be nice to hear a message saying "All SUCDs are down, good job!", something to let you know you have finished... something a flight member or copilot will "share with you" on the excitement of a successful mission.  Also, perhaps, award 50 pts to that moment, and another 50 when you return safely?  I believe the UN campaign for the Huey follows this and I find it useful to, at least, get "something" if you (like me! 😛 ) get shot by a missile on the way back once you have already taken out EVERYTHING in the base with your flight. 🙂

Still haven't seen a "successful mission" here, but I'm getting close. 

Thanks again,

Rafa.

Enjoyable mission. Just finished it with invincibility on (of course :P).
In the brief "Then flight the flight plan to BP 53" should be "Then fly the flight plan to BP 53".
I also have immense trouble hovering out of OGE. (Mostly skill issue imo, haha).
I noticed the kneeboard errors. Looking forward to the fix. I spent much longer than I should have trying to find out what I was doing wrong.
Confirmation on mission end would be great along with the mission points as mentioned.

So did I interpret the posts here correctly that the SCUD mission doesn't let you know when it's done?

I just finished destroying the 8 SCUDs and even managed to fly home and land safely. I got a score of 286, but "Results" are 0. I also never received any messages about mission success or anything like that. I didn't wait for the clearance at the first position, but instead flew straight (through WPs) to BP53 and waited there while scouting the area, though, but otherwise I think I did everything "correct". Did I do something wrong or miss something? (This is the first time I actually complete a mission in DCS, so I don't know what's supposed to happen...)

Cool mission, btw 🙂 

• Like 1

I've never gotten to actually return to base.  I can confirm I have destroyed all 8 SCUDS with no confirmation whatsoever.  I mostly wait for the confirmation message, but not circling the assembly area, but moving slowly through the way points so as to not take too long.

I'll take another look at this.

My idea behind this and a few other missions is that, like in the real world, the air crew determines if they have been successful. If you think you have achieved the goal, then you decide that it is time to RTB.

That said, I realize that having some kind of confirmation once you get back would be a good idea.  After all, in the real world there would be an intel guy reviewing the gun camera footage and counting the destroyed TELs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

R/ Hangar 200

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks! Yeah, or your copilot / wingman saying: hey, seems like we got them all!

It doesn’t need to be something “official”, just some normal radio talk within the flight but that gives the non-military trained pilots like me a sense of “hey, you’re done, good job”. 🙂

• Like 1

Yep, I could do that…I'll probably make it a bit defined…scale from 0 kills to all 8 killed - different responses for 0-2, 3-5, 6-8 . And make I somewhat "official looking".

This has given me an idea for a "Debrief Graphic" that would serve the purpose and provide you some semi-detailed feedback.  

• Like 2

R/ Hangar 200

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Made a couple of runs and:
- MGRS for CM52 holding area in briefing is misspelled - should start with 0313 - not 3013
- last TGT mgrs with KNxxxx in briefing seem all wrong since CV and CA are all around?
- Greeting message and text appear long after all preparations and take off
- Pilot George AI can't keep altitude - gradually going down every time

• Like 1

There's a thread about this in the Missions subsection already. The creator has said that the last 2 MGRS points are a mistake due to not clearing the kneeboard properly while he was editing. Also mentioned that kneeboard has been fixed so might have been pushed out in the recent hotfix if it made it in time. If not then I'd expect it in the next one.

• 3 months later...

I'm trying out this mission, but I never get any reports from the F-16s. According to the mission briefing the radio should be tuned to 251.54 MHz, but I wonder if that is correct as that frequency is assigned to all units it seems.

image.png

Edited by corvus5624

53 minutes ago, corvus5624 said:

According to the mission briefing the radio should be tuned to 251.54 MHz

Frequency should be 251.45, not 251.54 😉
But I cannot confirm right now, if 251.45 is working.

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

Yeah, that's the way to do it.  You need to wait for your wingmen, and then hover over the designated area to wait for the SEAD team, and you eventually get reports.  It's a tad long, as reported above, but it's reasonably "realistic" to just not jump into battle.  I actually enjoy that about this mission.