Point Coords

dresoccer4
Go to solution Solved by frostycab,

So I'm trying to enter all of the points for this missions, but I'm having trouble with GWT. For all of the other points, when entering the coords, all I did was enter the 8-digit number and they worked. However for GWT, the 8-digit number is a hundred miles away.

I think because is has a C2 instead of a CS like the other points. But what I did a single backspace on the keypad to turn the CS into a C2, the keybad blinked at me and wouldn't let me enter it. 

How do you enter coords where some of them have different C2 or CS values? Thanks

image.png

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• Solution

The "C2" is definitely a typo. MGRS format is always 2 letters, and never a letter and a number.

MGRS (or UTM if you prefer) has a set format. In your example 55T is the major grid square (always 2 numbers and a letter), followed by the CS (always 2 letters) which denotes the smaller grid within that which is 10kmx10km. You then enter (depending on the aircraft and required accuracy) 6,8 or 10 numbers to denote coordinates within the smaller grid square. 

6 numbers are accurate to 100m. 8 are accurate to 10m, and 10 gives you a 1m square.

I've found a few typing/editing errors on the kneeboard coordinates for the included EA missions, so if something looks wrong when you enter it then it probably is wrong. Make a report in the Missions and Campaigns sub-forum and they'll get sorted out in time.

Edited by frostycab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, frostycab said:

The "C2" is definitely a typo. MGRS format is always 2 letters, and never a letter and a number.

MGRS (or UTM if you prefer) has a set format. In your example 55T is the major grid square (always 2 numbers and a letter), followed by the CS (always 2 letters) which denotes the smaller grid within that which is 10kmx10km. You then enter (depending on the aircraft and required accuracy) 6,8 or 10 numbers to denote coordinates within the smaller grid square. 

6 numbers are accurate to 100m. 8 are accurate to 10m, and 10 gives you a 1m square.

I've found a few typing/editing errors on the kneeboard coordinates for the included EA missions, so if something looks wrong when you enter it then it probably is wrong. Make a report in the Missions and Campaigns sub-forum and they'll get sorted out in time.

thanks you're right. I ignored the C2 part and it looks to have been placed correctly. I've also come across many kneeboard points that did not make sense and really threw me off while learning. i'll keep a skeptical eye out now

image.png

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

22 hours ago, frostycab said:

hey so seeing something else now that's confusing me. when re-starting the same mission, I tried to put in the TGT point however you can see on the keypad it has a very different grid automatically populated. i've noticed this on other missions as well. how do you put in the correct full location here when it starts you off with a wrong one?

1-COORDS.jpg

• ED Team
16 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

How do you put in the correct full location here when it starts you off with a wrong one?

The UTM LAT/LONG always defaults to the MGRS of the aircraft's current position, with the cursor starting at the first digit of the easting. The assumption is the coordinates are relatively in the vicinity of your area.

Since the KU has a "type-over" keyboard method, you just type over the existing digits. However if you need to edit the square identifier or grid zone, just use the arrow keys to move the cursor over as necessary and type over. Alternatively, just press CLR and type the entire thing.

Edited by Raptor9

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

1 minute ago, Raptor9 said:

The UTM LAT/LONG always defaults to the MGRS of the aircraft's current position, with the cursor starting at the first digit of the easting. The assumption is the coordinates are relatively in the vicinity of your area.

Since the KU has a "type-over" keyboard method, you just type over the existing digits. However if you need to edit the square identifier or grid zone, just use the arrow keys to move the cursor over as necessary and type over. Alternatively, just press CLR and type the entire thing.

so that's the thing I'm pretty sure I'm in 55P CS. Not sure where 31N AA is, so putting in the coords shown in the kneebaord is way off

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

so that's the thing I'm pretty sure I'm in 55P CS. Not sure where 31N AA is, so putting in the coords shown in the kneebaord is way off

Try pressing the PP button (no jokes please 😉) at button T4 on the main TSD page. It shows your current present position. If that is way off from the coordinates that come up on the KU when inputting a new point's coordinates, there may be a bug.

Keep in mind however that if editing an existing point, the KU should show the existing location of the point previously input, not the aircraft position.

Edited by Raptor9

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

18 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

The UTM LAT/LONG always defaults to the MGRS of the aircraft's current position

11 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

If that is way off from the coordinates that come up on the KU when inputting a new point's coordinates, there may be a bug.

There may be a bug, because I did a mission recently in the Persian Gulf and the KU always started with the 31NAA... MGRS coordinates, which definitely wasn't where the aircraft currently was.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, LooseSeal said:

There may be a bug, because I did a mission recently in the Persian Gulf and the KU always started with the 31NAA... MGRS coordinates, which definitely wasn't where the aircraft currently was.

Also, if your aircraft EGI's aren't aligned yet when entering the coordinates, that might be contributing to the problem.

But if this isn't the case, I recommend you post a bug report in the Bugs/Problems section with an associated trackfile. Thanks

• Like 1

DCS Rotor-Head

11 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Also, if your aircraft EGI's aren't aligned yet when entering the coordinates, that might be contributing to the problem.

But if this isn't the case, I recommend you post a bug report in the Bugs/Problems section with an associated trackfile. Thanks

I think this is it. If you try to enter points before the map appears (which takes a while) then you can't enter points without knowing the entire address.

What mission is that? You mind sharing, please?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

5 hours ago, frostycab said:

It comes with the Apache, but you need the Marianas map for it to show up for you.

indeed. it's a great little training mission. can't beat the tropical vibes

I'm not sure why they didn't put the entire MGRS coords in the kneeboard, seems simple to do and not as confusing.   The other missions are like this as well.  Simply putting the entire MGRS means you can put them in while aligning rather than waiting.   

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

1 hour ago, KungFu said:

I'm not sure why they didn't put the entire MGRS coords in the kneeboard, seems simple to do and not as confusing.   The other missions are like this as well.  Simply putting the entire MGRS means you can put them in while aligning rather than waiting.   

PP on the TSD will still give you your current grid while waiting for INUs, so if you do get impatient you can use that.

21 minutes ago, frostycab said:

PP on the TSD will still give you your current grid while waiting for INUs, so if you do get impatient you can use that.

I knew about that, but assumed it was off as well because alignment hasn't occurred.  Funny how it knows, but doesn't pre-fill the proper KU entry like it does after alignment.

Thanks for the info.    

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

11 hours ago, KungFu said:

I knew about that, but assumed it was off as well because alignment hasn't occurred.  Funny how it knows, but doesn't pre-fill the proper KU entry like it does after alignment.

Thanks for the info.    

Its not totally crazy for many aircraft, though the apache could well be different. Certainly in civil aviation if the aircraft has been moved since it was powered down then its position will need to be manually updated so the INS knows where a flight is starting.

If it’s already set then I just like to think the ground crew have set it when they put the aircraft out on the flight line. 

Edited by frostycab
  • Like 1