The F-35 Thread

Groove

yeah but it seems that a lot of projects run by lockheed end up delayed and over expensive; when kelly Johnson made the u-2 he said that it would take him one year; and he delivered before one year; I don't see lockheed doing that this days; Yes I know aircrafts are more complex but it looks like there is no control over cost overruns; or delays; no one seems to be held accountable for problems; and worst the government keeps awarding more contracts to the same company.Why they don't keep the navy version for both air force and navy? just remove the folding wing mechanism and hook wouldn't that save them money? and give them a more durable aircraft at the end?

• Like 1

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is a delivery of the original outstanding order. So the UK will train with an F-35B ... to train for the F-35C. :=)

For similar out-of-the-box thinking you can always make an inquiry with the UK MoD, which has a long tradition in Monty Pythonizing defense projects, such as building multimillion pounds maritime survaillance planes for the puropose of scrapping them, or fielding seaborne fighters without a carrier or was it the other way around, I lost track of it :=)

Edited by tflash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yeah but it seems that a lot of projects run by lockheed end up delayed and over expensive; when kelly Johnson made the u-2 he said that it would take him one year; and he delivered before one year; I don't see lockheed doing that this days; Yes I know aircrafts are more complex but it looks like there is no control over cost overruns; or delays; no one seems to be held accountable for problems; and worst the government keeps awarding more contracts to the same company.Why they don't keep the navy version for both air force and navy? just remove the folding wing mechanism and hook wouldn't that save them money? and give them a more durable aircraft at the end?

The age of rush is over and there is no cold war now, so no rush. Onto that its server capitalism of capitalism, the more slowly they work, more money they can grab, more time they take more expensive becomes and again more money can be gorged.

• Like 1

Never mind launching the F-35, it will only fall apart. How can they build and aircraft to-day and have in it's testing phase,lots of fatigue cracks that make the aircraft unflyable. Where is the quality control. Hell they retired aircraft with less issues. Cost going up, up, up.:doh: This aircraft is or should I say was due to be released in the not to distant future and now cracks on the airframe. Someone didn't do their job.

rattler

Never mind launching the F-35, it will only fall apart. How can they build and aircraft to-day and have in it's testing phase,lots of fatigue cracks that make the aircraft unflyable. Where is the quality control. Hell they retired aircraft with less issues. Cost going up, up, up.:doh: This aircraft is or should I say was due to be released in the not to distant future and now cracks on the airframe. Someone didn't do their job.

rattler

....and you know this how??

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Because obviously he launched one and it fell apart.

Nah, he's talking about the fatigue issues showing up prematurely with the test F-35s. Some components need to be re-designed, and some people like blowing things out of proportion.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

More related to the F-35B. The A & C models use different materials in their bulkheads.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW every new airframe that comes out nowadays is going to cost upwards of a trillion dollars in research and development. You can take into example of Boeings 787, Airbus' A380, A400M, and Boeings C17 program. The F-35 is a high technology experimental production aircraft, so you SHOULD expect it to cost a ton of money. If you take into account of inflation, the most expensive R&D program at any given time would probably be the B-2 or the B-1 projects.

Trillion dollar jet spread over the USAF, US Navy, US Marine Corp, RAF, RAAF etc. Seems to be pretty good value to me.

Edited by MustangSally

Trillion dollar jet spread over the USAF, US Navy, US Marine Corp, RAF, RAAF etc. Seems to be pretty good value to me.
It might be a good value to you, but not to me, because it is me who needs to pay for that! And I, as well as every taxpayer in USA is already in debt of $134 000, in addition, my two sons are in debt, each $48 371. And my country GDP to debt ration is almost at 100%! And that is close to $15 000 000 000 000 dollars. And on and on and on ....

Check the US National Debt Clock in real time:

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

You know, if we do not stop spending on weapons we don't need, we will definitely end up as Soviet Union. I sure want my country to have F-35's, but about a hundred would do the job. Because we can not afford more then that.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Yes because it it only the US taxpayers who are bearing the brunt of R&D for the F-35...even though Israel, Canada, Britain, Japan, and a few other countries have already placed orders for it. No, every country NOT the US gets free F-35s. Seriously, if you people are going to bring retarded economics into the discussion, then have the common courtesy to say duh to give the rest of us who have a clue an insight as to how much you really know.

Japan to buy the F-35

Japan orders F-35 instead of F-18 Super Hornet and Eurofighter.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-20/lockheed-martin-wins-japan-jet-fighter-contract-over-boeing-eurofighter.html

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Japan selects F-35 as its next fighter.

http://www.jsf.mil/news/docs/20111220_F35JAPAN.pdf

Don't really care, just linked the pdf from Lockheed, that's all!

• Like 1