Excessive resistance?

The excessively resistant Mi-24P. You can drop four or six Hydra and forty minigun rounds on him without taking him down. I understand that the bodywork is armored, but a hit to the propellers wouldn't give it much chance of surviving.

35 minutes ago, 28270 said:

The excessively resistant Mi-24P. You can drop four or six Hydra and forty minigun rounds on him without taking him down. I understand that the bodywork is armored, but a hit to the propellers wouldn't give it much chance of surviving.

Are talking about AI, or player module? AI damage model is a bit less sophisticated then player module, and the ancient AI Mi-24V is as bullet proof as alot of the older helicopter AIs. The AI helcipters especially have a problem that if they are on the ground, they are almost impossible to destroy. So if that is your metric, Shooting hydras at a Mi-24P AI on the ground, the issue is AI and not the module itself when flown by a player, where the damage interacts with the systems in a more sophisticated way. I have been disabled on the ground by 23mm bullets and indirect missile hits just as easily as in air. 

I don’t have any experience taking Hydras, but mini guns are usually 7.62mm, and the front exoskeleton, armored glass panels, and the 7.62mm thick armor around the engines, gearbox, Flight controls/hydraulics and rotorhead and rotors themselves are resistant up to .50 cal and some parts are supposedly resistant up to 23mm. From the rear it is much less armored, and there is no armor around the tail.

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

38 minutes ago, 28270 said:

The blades of the Mi-24 are made out of titanium which are supposed to withstand up to 12,7-mm rounds while the Minigun has a calibre of only 7,62-mm. Also if you used high explosive Hydras instead of armor piercing ones, I wouldnt exspect them to do much damage.

My skins

After a Hydra rocket attack, a Mi-24 would be pretty much trashed. It's not all armored, just the important parts, and not from every angle. It's meant to withstand ground fire, not being strafed. However, it might not be obvious from the air, IRL vehicles don't really turn into smoking wrecks when destroyed, unless there's an ammo explosion or a direct bomb hit. In DCS, the aircraft might not register as dead, mostly because the system has been designed under an assumption the helicopter will be flying when it's being shot at, so the "kill" happens at the moment of crash. If it's not flying, it won't crash, even with both engines dead, so the sim won't register it. It's annoying, but that's how it currently works.

IRL, BDA is actually nontrivial, which is why there are sometimes dedicated missions to do just that. A destroyed tank might differ from a working one by a small hole in the side, although in many cases, you'd also see open hatches after the crew couldn't keep fighting and had to bail. In some cases, the tank might look completely undamaged save for some scorch marks on the side, but the crew might have been cut to ribbons by spallation. The AI Mi-24 is surprisingly realistic in that regard, in that it doesn't look obviously dead even when it's disabled on the ground.

• Like 2

The attack occurs in the air, not on the ground. The artificial intelligence Mi-24P takes four hits from Hydra and the minigun magazine is practically emptied, but it continues to fly. You finally let him go.

On 4/1/2022 at 11:19 AM, Mike_Romeo said:

The blades of the Mi-24 are made out of titanium which are supposed to withstand up to 12,7-mm rounds while the Minigun has a calibre of only 7,62-mm. Also if you used high explosive Hydras instead of armor piercing ones, I wouldnt exspect them to do much damage.

Able to withstand up to 12.7mm means it can shrug off 12.7mm rounds as they come and go. Yeah itll cause a richochet or fragment the ammunition depending on the ammo used. AP rounds? API? 7.62x51 are payload capable rounds as well. Its been a while, but I recall a minigun belt for an M134 would contain a combat mix of tracer, API or tracer AP ammunition...and thats not to say that armor would prevent them from breaching eventually. You shoot it enough, you could cold work the armor plating enough until it cracks, although it would take a bit.

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

This is AI  . Even the Mi8 can take two missiles and still fly away . Even the Huey can take two AT-6 and fly off . DCS at the moment is a bit buggy . 

Now that the Apache is out I'm hoping ED will concintrate on fixing well over due buggy's .

The list is getting long . 

Edited by KoN
  • Like 2

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 2 weeks later...

Wether it’s an Ai Chinook, Mi-24, Ka-29, Ka-31, Mi-28, Mi-26, Apache, or anything else AI with Spinny spin, it will absorb several missiles and often multiple gun magazines unless hit in extremely critical and unarmored areas like tail rotor. And if in the ground, don’t even try it 

• Like 2

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...