Impossible to designate a target via HUD in AUTO mode

Airbusjoerg

I am trying to use TDC to set a target in AUTO mode via the HUD. In 9 out of 10 attempts this does not work.

This is what I do:

1. A/G-Mode on, ARM
  2. Select bomb (no matter which one)
  3. Mode: Auto
  4. MFUZ: Nose
  5. EFUZ: INST
  6. DRAG: FF
  7. Sensor control switch to HUD (forward)

Now point nose at target and press either TDC depress / Enter / Weapon relase button - in 9 out of 10 cases the target point is not marked successfully, but somehow "sticks" to the bomb drop line (and can be moved using TDC, but marks nothing).

In the attached file you see exactly what I describe. I tried three times to nail a target, first time with TDC depress, second time with weapon release, third time with ENTER on keyboard. The target is not marked. After every try I undesignate and try again.

Either I'm completely stupid or this is a bug (I hope the former because I can fix that quickly if someone tells me what I'm doing wrong).

auto_bombs.trk

Edited by Airbusjoerg

Best regards

Jörg

6 minutes ago, Hulkbust44 said:

From level flight pressing TDC depress with priority set to HUD will designate the point in the aircrafts heading 7.5° below the horizon. When you dive at an angle now 7.5° the targeting reticle will be caged to the VV.

I dont understand your second sentence. Do you mean: "When you dive at an angle bigger than 7.5°, the targeting reticle will be caged to the VV"?

If so - I know that, but that doesn't help me with my problem.

Best regards

Jörg

You can also designate with the Bomb weapon release button. This is the preferred method when designating in a dive delivery the so called "Point Blank" method. Push and hold the weapon release button, Fly the ASL or Pull up the ASL for a dive Toss delivery through the Release cue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IvanK said:

You can also designate with the Bomb weapon release button. This is the preferred method when designating in a dive delivery the so called "Point Blank" method. Push and hold the weapon release button, Fly the ASL or Pull up the ASL for a dive Toss delivery through the Release cue.

Yes I know and I tried, but as in my track can be seen the designation doesn’t work. 

Best regards

Jörg

• ED Team

Seems to be working for me, 

go into a shallow dive centre the ball and chain, designate and then slew to refine and return to a level bombing run. 

if you have realistic TDC ticked n special option you have to press and hold to slew. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

20 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Seems to be working for me, 

go into a shallow dive centre the ball and chain, designate and then slew to refine and return to a level bombing run. 

if you have realistic TDC ticked n special option you have to press and hold to slew. 

I´m doing basically the same. Go into a (not so shallow) dive, centre the ball and chain and designate (via TDC depress or Return).

But when I lift the nose again to level, the target marker does not stay on the target but comes up with the nose, it gets "stuck" in the HUD, moves together with the HUD and also shows nonsensical distance values and TOT. Can you see this in my track file?

Edited by Airbusjoerg

Best regards

Jörg

3 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

After you designate slew to refine and it will stay

That is exactly the problem. In my case, it does not stay. I tried this for two hours yesterday and almost threw my computer out the window.

The only other thing I could imagine is that my TDC does not center perfectly and always "wanders" minimally. I'll try that out later.

Best regards

Jörg

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

After you designate slew to refine and it will stay

So, now I've packed all the stuff into a quick & dirty video.

At the beginning you can see the mission I choose.
After that (min 0:15) you see the settings AUTO, MFUZ nose, EFUZ inst, sensor on HUD.

After that (min 01:40) you see the approach. The moment I designate the target (TDC depress), the bomb drop line and the target marker appears. Now it comes: as I pull up the nose, the marker moves with it and sticks somewhere in the Sky. It doesnt stay on the target (min 01:50). I turn left/right to show this. Also pay attention to the values like TOT etc.

After that I do the whole thing again (min 02:40) - this time I refine (slew) the marker a bit with the TDC. Again, the result is the same, as I move the nose up, the target marker moves up with it and doesn't stay on target.

At the end you can see my correct assignment of the TDC button in the settings (min 03:21)

Now I am curious about your comments. 😉

Edited by Airbusjoerg

Best regards

Jörg

• ED Team

Thanks for the video I am seeing the problem now. 

I am so use to designating and moving the designation I was missing the initial designating is not ground stabilising correct, I will ask the team to check. 

• Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Just to follow up on this, it is correct as it is. 

What seems to be happening is when you are using the TDC depress the axis is also being moved which creates the problem. 

Check your TDC axis does not have any errors or jitters, try setting a large dead zone on the axis so any TDC depress does not trigger the axis also. 

thank you