Air to air refuel

Frost

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

What if the tanker is now flying at a completely different speed? Relying on the HUD and your instruments when doing AAR is not recommended. Ever. 

I never experienced that case. Except if the tanker is turning he keeps his speed very acurately. I suppose that's because the tanker would be on AP irl. But yes, if (for whatever reason) the tanker changes his speed I would have to get a new reference speed.

But don't get too hung up on that IAS thing. That is really secondary and wasn't part of my initial post.

PS: I don't know why but this talking in absolutes is really not my thing. It comes across as extremely preachy and that's exactly what I'm talking about the entire time. And people think I give a crap about their comments. No, I definitelly don't do that, really, I do appreciate them. But why do so many people have to end there comments with one of those super annoying lines like "get used to it", "just practice", or "don't do that evaaar"? Would you like that someone would talk to you like that? Would you really enjoy that? and please be honest.

Edited by Frost

1 minute ago, Frost said:

But why do so many people have to end there comments with one of those super annoying lines like "get used ti it", "just practice", or "don't do that evaaar"? Would you like that someone is talking to you like that? Would you really enjoy that? and please be honest.

I don't know about those other people but in my case I was trying to be helpful. I usually appreciate it when people take the time to explain why something I was doing, is considered to be wrong, or doesn't conform to real world procedures or is a bad habbit, etc. etc. etc. 

But hey, in the end it's just a game. You go ahead and do whatever you feel like. 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

5 minutes ago, Frost said:

But why do so many people have to end there comments with one of those super annoying lines like "get used ti it", "just practice", or "don't do that evaaar"?

It's just to emphasize how important this is and that ignoring it is either bad practice or negating procedures, even forbidden. Nothing personal.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

22 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I don't know about those other people but in my case I was trying to be helpful. I usually appreciate it when people take the time to explain why something I was doing, is considered to be wrong, or doesn't conform to real world procedures or is a bad habbit, etc. etc. etc. 

But hey, in the end it's just a game. You go ahead and do whatever you feel like. 

Just read draconus reply on the previous page and you'll get what I mean. I might have irritated some people, but if I would make suggestions to someone else, I wouldn't write as if I would scream in his/her face. As I've said, I might be too sensitive, but that's the overall tone from a couple replys for me.

17 minutes ago, draconus said:

It's just to emphasize how important this is and that ignoring it is either bad practice or negating procedures, even forbidden. Nothing personal.

Ok, you tell me something as an experienced virtual pilot, I'll take that. But I'm just telling you as just an ordinary person how some of your lines sound on the receiving end. This here is not a life or death situation, so there is really no need to scream instructions in my face. And that's how it sounds to me, even if it wasn't intended that way.

Edited by Frost

1 hour ago, Frost said:

As I've said, I might be too sensitive, but that's the overall tone from a couple replys for me.

You are, I can tell from experience of a few years on this forum. I helped many users before and my tone was never a problem. I'm sorry if you took it as too harsh, it was not intended by me, but please don't play a victim now, your attitude was ungrateful towards people that tried to help you. Remember that forum and this thread too is for all users to participate and share, you don't own it.

This here is not a life or death situation, so there is really no need to scream instructions in my face.

Maybe it would be easier for you to take advices if you imagine yourself as a real pilot taking notes from IP. Some replies assume you take this role when you immerse yourself in the simulator.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

57 minutes ago, Frost said:

Just read draconus reply on the previous page and you'll get what I mean. I might have irritated some people, but if I would make suggestions to someone else, I wouldn't write as if I would scream in his/her face. As I've said, I might be too sensitive, but that's the overall tone from a couple replys for me.

Ok, you tell me something as an experienced virtual pilot, I'll take that. But I'm just telling you as just an ordinary person how some of your lines sound on the receiving end. This here is not a life or death situation, so there is really no need to scream instructions in my face. And that's how it sounds to me, even if it wasn't intended that way.

Practice, practice, PRACTICE... PRACTICE... PRACTICE!!!!! 

Oh almost forgot, try this one weird little trick 

Spoiler

PRACTICE!!!!

• Like 3

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

13 minutes ago, Hector45 said:

Practice, practice, PRACTICE... PRACTICE... PRACTICE!!!!! 

Oh almost forgot, try this one weird little trick 

Hide contents

PRACTICE!!!!

You guys really are a starved out pack of wolves  Forum wolves. Be proud of yourself...not.

And thanks draconus, you are a real friend. Thank you for everything.

PS: I'm sorry😪

Edited by Frost

1 minute ago, Frost said:

You guys really are a starved out pack of wolves  Forum wolves. Be proud of yourself...not.

Hey man, fresh to this.

From an outsiders perspective you've done yourself no favours.

You have requested advice. It's been given, fairly evenly and accurately I might add. The only thing that has irked people round here is the attitude you give back.

There is no secret move. There is no elitist conspiracy to keep you from tanking the F-14. Everything you have read is correct and has to be used in a combination you find most efficient but you gotta put the hours in to find that sweet-spot. It will click, at some point, but that time can vary. There's a rhythm to AAR that cannot be taught, you have to see it and feel it.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Hey man, fresh to this.

From an outsiders perspective you've done yourself no favours.

You have requested advice. It's been given, fairly evenly and accurately I might add. The only thing that has irked people round here is the attitude you give back.

There is no secret move. There is no elitist conspiracy to keep you from tanking the F-14. Everything you have read is correct and has to be used in a combination you find most efficient but you gotta put the hours in to find that sweet-spot. It will click, at some point, but that time can vary. There's a rhythm to AAR that cannot be taught, you have to see it and feel it.

Elitist conspiracy? Do you even read your own comments. Read my initial post. I can refuel(i.e. the A-10C), just not the F-14. Not consistent at least. Yesterday I achieved around 20-30 seconds on the drogue. Cute, I know, but that certainly didn't happened by accident. So please stop talking to me as if I know absolute crap. I actually have to practice. I just wanted to try it at first without wake vortices, so I unchecked them in the menu, but they were still present in the instant mission. So I was asking if the F-14 module simulates its own aerodynamics on top of DCS'.

And will this go on forever now. How many forum members will just write an reply in this tthread in order to tell me that I did all this to myself. Does someone really think that that is grown up behavior. Or that he, or she actually contributes something constructive to the community?

Maybe so, I'm definitely too simple to understand that.

Again sorry, I'm dump, just cancel this thread, wasn't important anyways. Don't waste your time on a fool like me.

Thank you very much.

Edited by Frost

It's not about me right? It's about yourself.  Think about it and if you'd be so funny in someones face too. Not in my face, that I am sure.

It's really a waste of time to feed starving forum wolves like yourself, but I just can't stop to reply. Which is actually a bigger problem for me than AAR.

I just can't understand why some people haven't enough pride or self respect to not sink below a certain level of communication. Especially in a forum of their favorite hobby. It's like crapping where you eat. Why would you do that? DCS is absolutely awesome and I'm very grateful to live in a time where sims like that are even technically possible inside my own four walls.

PS: Is it really not possible to leave this thread alone now. Just proof yourself, that you are better than me by giving a f... about this thread. You don't have to bully or be sarcastic without end. You can achieve that, I believe in you awesome virtual fighter pilots. This might be your toughest battle and your greatest challenge, but you can achieve it. You don't have to writte further replys in order to tell me what an ungrateful loser I am. Just not do it, you can do it.

Edited by Frost

8 minutes ago, Frost said:

It's not about me right? It's about yourself.  Think about it and if you'd be so funny in someones face too. Not in my face, that I am sure.

It's really a waste of time to feed starving forum wolves like yourself, but I just can't stop to reply. Which is actually a bigger problem for me than AAR.

I just can't understand why some people haven't enough pride or self respect to not sink below a certain level of communication. Especially in a forum of their favorite hobby. It's like crapping where you eat. Why would you do that? DCS is absolutely awesome and I'm very grateful to live in a time where sims like that are even technically possible inside my own four walls.

PS: Is it really not possible to leave this thread alone now. Just proof yourself, that you are better than me by giving a f... about this thread. You don't have to bully or be sarcastic without end. You can achieve that, I believe in you awesome virtual fighter pilots. This might be your toughest battle and your greatest challenge, but you can achieve it. You don't have to writte further replys in order to tell me what an ungrateful loser I am. Just not do it, you can do it.

What are you still doing in here? You should be practicing!

• Like 2

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

2 minutes ago, Hector45 said:

What are you still doing in here? You should be practicing!

Lol, you are right. Still got real life stuff to do though. Like writing in forums at work.

But seriously, maybe everything changes in a custom mission, at a lower airspeed and without a wingman that wouldn't make way for me like in the instant action mission. I've read that others too had more problems in that instant action AAR mission, than when they set up their own.

That's what I'll try as soon as I'm at home.

I'll just drop in briefly to say hang in there @Frost- both with AAR that, yeah, can be one of the harder nuts to crack and with interactions on the forums.

For the refuelling - in my experience the thing that made it click for me was figuring out trimming the F-14 and VR, somewhere between those 2 things let me get my first hookup and once you've got past that mental barrier of achieving something for the first time I find that helps a lot with frustration. In the before-times when I just couldn't seem to get the basket after 30 minutes or so I'd be switching to guns and pew pew 😜

For the forums, despite the average age around here being 30+ always remember the Greater Internet F*ckwad Theory. You'll get a lot of answers from armchair instructors who will repeat much of the same stuff on a loop then expect you to take that advice, practice, git gud, and repeat. The trick is finding the nuggets of wisdom in there, or as others might say, find the peanuts in the <profanity> while keeping a thick skin and not resorting to returning fire.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AH_Solid_Snake said:

For the forums, despite the average age around here being 30+ always remember the Greater Internet F*ckwad Theory. You'll get a lot of answers from armchair instructors who will repeat much of the same stuff on a loop then expect you to take that advice, practice, git gud, and repeat.

Could not have said it better myself. That's exactly how many replys come across to me. It's not that they are bad, or stupid, but their general tone and how they get repeatet. As if no one is reading the previous replys, or just doesn't care. So I'm not crazy since someone else can "hear" that as well.

Very brave of you to expose yourself like that. I really men that. And thanks for your encouraging words, I'll keep practicing. I mean that's the whole reason I play sims and games anyways. But I still want to know if I'm doing something inherently wrong, or just want to be more effective. I love flying/practicing, but that doesn't mean I can't get mad or frustrated. But it's not like I would have to pass an exam in the immediate future. And I'm certainly not in the military either. So there is really no need to get "screamed" at or lectured in a patronizing way.

Edited by Frost

1 hour ago, Frost said:

Could not have said it better myself. That's exactly how many replys come across to me. It's not that they are bad, or stupid, but their general tone and how they get repeatet. As if no one is reading the previous replys, or just doesn't care. So I'm not crazy since someone else can "hear" that as well.

Very brave of you to expose yourself like that. I really men that. And thanks for your encouraging words, I'll keep practicing. I mean that's the whole reason I play sims and games anyways. But I still want to know if I'm doing something inherently wrong, or just want to be more effective. I love flying/practicing, but that doesn't mean I can't get mad or frustrated. But it's not like I would have to pass an exam in the immediate future. And I'm certainly not in the military either. So there is really no need to get "screamed" at or lectured in a patronizing way.

And who exactly "screamed" at you or patronized you? You do not have to be in the Military to have interaction with all types of human beings. No, obviously you are not in the Military. No one here treated you as such. These feelings of yours are exactly that, your feelings! Do not expect everyone to cater to how you may feel at any specific time. This is the internet, we don't know you nor your personal fun meter. We gave you clear and concise viewpoints to; wait for it, "help" you. And if the replies are repeating themselves, that means almost everyone concurs with said practices, not to toy with you!

Feel free to get frustrated all you like, we all do! But when you start slinging insults and dumping on those here to help, then you will have very few willing to help you again.

As I said before, good luck. Also in addition to AAR, develop some skills in interacting with your other brothers in the forum. We are not your enemy.

• Like 7

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

3 minutes ago, Jackjack171 said:

Nice adult answer! Figures...

I was really patient. Wrote my fingers sore, more or less excused myself but you guys would never stop. And then when I actually loose it you would write something like "figures", whilst you hide behind your little desk, you poor little trapper.
This is nothing but a pathetic little witch hunt. At least since 25 replys its not about helping anyone, but hunting a person. And you freakin know that, because I know, that you can't be that stupid. Be honest, you are just venting your own frustration here and set up traps. Trapper and evil wolves, didn't excepct those in this forum. But that's life, never stops suprising.

Edited by Frost

Just now, Frost said:

I was really patient. Wrote my fingers sore, more or less excused myself but you guys would never stop. And then when I actually loose it you would write something like "figures", whilst you hide behind your little desk, you poor little trapper,

Never said anything bad to you...that was you! I'm sorry your fingers hurt bro. Think about that the next time you type insults with your fingers, they won't hurt so much!

Be easy!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!