VR: HIADSS Symbology too high

Bracketman

On 4/8/2022 at 3:46 AM, BIGNEWY said:

The head tracker position or the diamond you see is to high and has been adjusted internally, this also affects the ACQ LOS Reticle, this will be in a future patch.

The problem persists. It's well-documented in this thread. I, too, have a Reverb G2 and the problem is clearly evident to me. Do you need anything further from me as far as setup or configuration?

Thanks for your help.

• ED Team
5 hours ago, RickInAZ said:

The problem persists. It's well-documented in this thread. I, too, have a Reverb G2 and the problem is clearly evident to me. Do you need anything further from me as far as setup or configuration?

Thanks for your help.

Hi, are you sure you have the headset seated correctly? I find the sweat spot on the reverb G2 is best when it rests on the tops of my cheeks, for me it looks correct and not to high. 

Added screenshot from the mirror, but what I am seeing is this and my eye line is looking directly at the horizon and the diamond headtracker ( where the nose of the aircraft is pointing )

Screen_220802_212620.png

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

I have had another team member check this and also can not reproduce the issue. 

Please check for 

Saved snap views in saved games DCS config view folder

If you have ever used the VR eye alignment tool remove the saved text file from saved games DCS to see if it helps

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Also please reset your headsets environment data and retest, look for any differences. 

thanks

I use the xtal 8k and have the same problem with the IHADSS, bit too high, possibilty to adjust would be nice

CPU: Intel i7-5820K 3,3GHz

Motherboard: ASUS X99-A

Grafik Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX1080 Ti 337.50

RAM: 32GB

PIMAX 5k+ BE

Hotas Warthog with Simped Pedals

WIN 10 64bit

DirctX 11.0

Hi,

I also have the issue with a Valve Index - it's way too high by default, the sweet spot for the headset, my eyeline is just above the ball.  No mods/saved views.

in the KA50, I have the displacement set to -10.1 degrees, so a similar ability to adjust would be useful.

Thanks

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 8:10 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, are you sure you have the headset seated correctly? I find the sweat spot on the reverb G2 is best when it rests on the tops of my cheeks, for me it looks correct and not to high. 

Added screenshot from the mirror, but what I am seeing is this and my eye line is looking directly at the horizon and the diamond headtracker ( where the nose of the aircraft is pointing )

On 8/2/2022 at 2:51 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Please check for 

Saved snap views in saved games DCS config view folder

If you have ever used the VR eye alignment tool remove the saved text file from saved games DCS to see if it helps

On 8/3/2022 at 1:32 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Also please reset your headsets environment data and retest, look for any differences. 

@BIGNEWY, thank you for your suggestions and the screenshot of your view. I tried the headset position recommendation, and I think mine fits about the same way yours does. Comparing my view to your screenshot, the only way I can get something that looks like that is to point my chin down almost to my chest... at rest, my straight-ahead view is just above the ball of the inclinometer. The crosshair when in flight appears to be well above the horizon, so that I get the "align limit" warning on the gun when my head is comfortably level. The direction (compass) indicator is way above the crossbar, and the interface for George is above that, way up out of the Reverb's "sweet spot"--it's always out of focus.

I did check for snap views (found none), and I have not used the VR eye alignment tool. I did reset my environment data and reestablished my seated position with my headset and Windows Mixed Reality Portal, and it did not make a difference.

I agree with @dimps and other posters who have suggested that this positioning should be made adjustable for different people and headset combinations; clearly you and other users have no problems with the symbols as they are.

Thanks again.

This is a mirror of my VR view, with my head in a normal posture, and I am looking through the "sweet spot" of my headset lenses at the horizon straight in front of me. As you can see, the reference cross is above the Apache's cockpit crossbar, and the heading reference tape is way up in the upper glass.

So, it's very different from what you imaged from your gameplay, @BIGNEWY.

I hope this helps illustrate the problem. The helicopter can still be flown, but when I need to watch the pilot's sight (the crosshairs) and fly, I am looking through a portion of the headset lens that already has some fuzzy focus. By the time I am looking at the heading reference, the whole outside view is out of focus. The headset lenses just aren't good enough to have a sharp picture to the top edge.

Screen_220817_073716.png

I have to tip my head forward to bring the flight reference items (speed, height, vertical velocity, and the level reference line with cross bars) to the horizon. Note how much lower the HIADSS is, reference to the panel objects. This is about 10 degrees "nose down" for me.

Screen_220816_174645.png

I guess in my case, it could be that the headset isn't fully vertical when I'm wearing it, even though the fit is good, sweet spot in the right place, etc - everyone's face is a different shape after all.

In SteamVR, when I'm not using the hand controllers, the blue dot cursor is also a little high.  I'm not aware of any way of correcting for this, but perhaps it's a general VR issue rather than a specific Apache one.

If anyone has any ideas, or is aware of some way of correcting for this, I'd be happy to give it a try.

I have the same issue with my G2, the center of my FOV / Sweet spot is just above the ball for me, the center cross is up above. This puts the heading tape and torque numbers in the blurry areas of the lens.

Edited by Strikeeagle345
  • Like 1

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

• 1 month later...

Dude... 7 months into the module release and this is still an issue. Can you please fix it?

I get that you may not be able to replicate it, but please just give us the benefit of the doubt and implement the IHADSS height adjustment feature.

It's pretty frustrating to be asked "are you wearing your headset correctly" over and over. The problem exists only with the Apache module. It is real, albeit not for everyone. Please don't assume we're idiots and help us out.

• Like 1

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS, GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 TI FTW3 Ultra 11GB, RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4, MB: MSI MEG Z390 Godlike, Game drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W, Windows 10 version: Pro - build 1909, WMR (Windows 10 version), WMR for SteamVR Beta, SteamVR Beta, VR: HP Reverb Pro

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 7:45 AM, dukman83 said:

Dude... 7 months into the module release and this is still an issue. Can you please fix it?

I get that you may not be able to replicate it, but please just give us the benefit of the doubt and implement the IHADSS height adjustment feature.

It's pretty frustrating to be asked "are you wearing your headset correctly" over and over. The problem exists only with the Apache module. It is real, albeit not for everyone. Please don't assume we're idiots and help us out.

Bump

I have the same Issue. Exactly as described by others. Index HMD; single Monitor Setup. Can't read the heading band and torque percentage etc. because of this.

I'm happy for you not having that issue, but assuming we are all just "doing it wrong" just because of others not having the issue is not helpful and feels a bit derogatory.

Honestly just give us the option to adjust the IHADSS position both horizontally and vertically!

Overall there is no single position of the IHADSS which will make everyone happy, since each headset has slightly different sweetspot sizes, and everybody is wearing theirs differently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 3:02 PM, MRTX said:

Honestly just give us the option to adjust the IHADSS position both horizontally and vertically!

Just hypothesizing here, but maybe there is a technical reason why the center of the IHADSS has to be coincident with the center of the camera, i.e. the center of the rendered view?

Being able to arbitrarily move the HUD around independent of the actual camera sounds like it would present all kinds of issues.

• Like 1

@BIGNEWY

Hey, sorry for the tag but I did some testing on this issue so maybe it’s useful.

What I see:
IHADSS is too high in my view, looking straight ahead in VR makes me look through the line of sight box in the bottom of the display instead of the center cross. Problem: The heading tape is very hard to read and require me to look up with my eyes, causing eyestrain. If I had to guess it’s about 20 degrees too far up. It is outside the „sweet spot“ of the headset so also blurry.

What I’m using:
Windows 11, ryzen 5600x, 3080ti, reverb g2

What I tried:
DCS repair & additional files
Disable Mods
SteamVR or OpenXR looks the same
Cross eye recovery tool disabled, headset.lua in saved games deleted

I hope somebody can help, I really l love the apache!

• Like 1

I wouldn't call this a bug but more of a feature request. Please consider that not every VR headset has the same FOV or clarity around the edges, Rift S is an example of this.

Having something like in the KA-50 would be perfect

Just adding my voice to the others. I also find the IHADSS symbology is a bit too high in VR (using HP Reverb G1). It doesn't prevent me from flying... It's just a bit uncomfortable.

Please allow either a config file tweak or a special settings slider adjustment to the sight height offset. 🙏🙏🙏

Thank you! 😀

You have options in the key-binds that allow you to adjust vertically and horizontally as well as towards and away. I use the towards and away on a rotary encoder.

Why this was never mentioned in the patch notes is a little puzzling, it was added 3-5 updates ago possibly more.

Edited by RuskyV

vor 15 Minuten schrieb RuskyV:

You have options in the key-binds that allow you to adjust vertically and horizontally as well as towards and away. I use the towards and away on a rotary encoder.

Why this was never mentioned in the patch notes is a little puzzling, it was added 3-5 updates ago possibly more.

Really? Never noticed this, which are cool features if existing.

Could you point me where to find them, please?

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

@RuskyV

thank you! 

• Like 1

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

vor 15 Stunden schrieb RuskyV:

I suggest you use the search option and put in the following:

DAP 

this will bring up all mappable axis, but you can find them all under Display Adjust Panel.

Ok, I found DAP in controller settings and binded all buttons there.

But I see no effects moving or changing the IHADSS image…..

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707