JDAM TOO Target Update

Habu_69

Lots of issues about JDAM TOO mode, but I have not found this one articulated. In both VVSLV and in WPDSG targeting mode there seems to be no mechanism to update or refine the target coordinates using the TGP. This makes locating and targeting an object in TOO extremely difficult. I also note that Chuck's Guide states that in VVSLV mode TDC DEPRESS should designate the ATFLIR target with a diamond symbol. I can only designate target with SCS RIGHT (to right TGP DDI).

I am not a real Hornet pilot, but I fly one on my PC. So I do not know whether these are features or bugs.

JDAM TOO No Update.trk

I have no problem with TOO mode for TDC priority.If I boxed WPDSG and then TDC Press from ATFLIR it updates the coordinates correctly.I dont use VVSLV often so I can say nothing.

Try this;

Lets say you have some targets at WP5

WPDSG WP-5

SCS Right until you have auto or scene mode.( If your FLIR on your Right DDI )

TDC Depress while ATFLIR is SOI

Check if the coords updated from jdam display msn menu.

Edited by Zodiacc

2 hours ago, Zodiacc said:

I have no problem with TOO mode for TDC priority.If I boxed WPDSG and then TDC Press from ATFLIR it updates the coordinates correctly.I dont use VVSLV often so I can say nothing.

Try this;

Lets say you have some targets at WP5

WPDSG WP-5

SCS Right until you have auto or scene mode.( If your FLIR on your Right DDI )

TDC Depress while ATFLIR is SOI

Check if the coords updated from jdam display msn menu.

Your description of the TGP/JDAM behavior is accurate as far as it goes. My point is that if the operator attempts to refine the original WPDSG JDAM target coordinates by slewing the AUTO or SCENE mode cursor and re-designate with either SCS right or TDC DEPRESS, the JDAM target coordinates will not update from the original waypoint. Demonstrated in attached track.

JDAM TOO No Update 2.trk

• Like 1

Devised a work-around. After slewing TGP cursor from waypoint to refined target, switch JDAMs to PP mode, then back to TOO and TGP designate. JDAM updates to new coordinates. This procedure does work, but difficult to believe it is expected behavior.

• Like 1

I have been testing the past few nights, and it appears that the coordinates shown on the TGP DDI page do not match the coordinates that are passed to the JDAM TOO mission page.  They are close, but they don't fully match.  I use the TGP to pass T001 and T002 targets to each station, and each station gets coordinates each time I designate and step through the stations, switch to T002 and step through again, as they should (8 targets, total), but I noticed the coordinates do not match what is shown on the TGP DDI display as being the location of the designation.  I tested with both the Litening and ATFLIR pods, and the behavior is the same. 

I don't know if this has been reported by anyone yet, but it appears to be a bug.  I can post a bug report unless any of you guys know it's already been reported or if there is some reason the coordinates wouldn't match that I don't know about.

Edited by Eclipse
more info
  • Like 1

i7-9700k overclocked to 4.9ghz, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, M.2 NVMe drive, HP Reverb G2 version 2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and a Logitech Throttle Quadrant

32 minutes ago, Eclipse said:

I have been testing the past few nights, and it appears that the coordinates shown on the TGP DDI page do not match the coordinates that are passed to the JDAM TOO mission page.  They are close, but they don't fully match.  I use the TGP to pass T001 and T002 targets to each station, and each station gets coordinates each time I designate and step through the stations, switch to T002 and step through again, as they should (8 targets, total), but I noticed the coordinates do not match what is shown on the TGP DDI display as being the location of the designation.  I tested with both the Litening and ATFLIR pods, and the behavior is the same. 

I don't know if this has been reported by anyone yet, but it appears to be a bug.  I can post a bug report unless any of you guys know it's already been reported or if there is some reason the coordinates wouldn't match that I don't know about.

The aircraft is initialized in Degree Decimal-Minutes, JDAM/JSOW only use Degree Minute Seconds. Switch the aircraft to DMS and box PRECISE, and they should line-up exactly.

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 2

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• ED Team
22 hours ago, Habu_69 said:

Lots of issues about JDAM TOO mode, but I have not found this one articulated. In both VVSLV and in WPDSG targeting mode there seems to be no mechanism to update or refine the target coordinates using the TGP. This makes locating and targeting an object in TOO extremely difficult. I also note that Chuck's Guide states that in VVSLV mode TDC DEPRESS should designate the ATFLIR target with a diamond symbol. I can only designate target with SCS RIGHT (to right TGP DDI).

I am not a real Hornet pilot, but I fly one on my PC. So I do not know whether these are features or bugs.

JDAM TOO No Update.trk 694.71 kB · 3 downloads

I'm not sure I am understanding correctly.
To update the coordinates just move the TDC and depress, the coordinates will be replaced in the TOO. I will have someone else check in case it is me. 

Chucks guides maybe out of date since the recent TOO changes. 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 5/2/2022 at 10:53 PM, Habu_69 said:

Your description of the TGP/JDAM behavior is accurate as far as it goes. My point is that if the operator attempts to refine the original WPDSG JDAM target coordinates by slewing the AUTO or SCENE mode cursor and re-designate with either SCS right or TDC DEPRESS, the JDAM target coordinates will not update from the original waypoint. Demonstrated in attached track.

JDAM TOO No Update 2.trk 674.29 kB · 3 downloads

If you are trying to redefine WPDSG coordinates.It is not possible to change it with designating because it is waypoint designation.Therefore if you want to change it you have to change the waypoint coordinates from HSI Data Page.Otherwise after waypoint designation you can still override TOO coordinates from any sensor with TDC Depress while desired SOI selected.(A/G Radar, FLIR , Helmet etc.) Its working fine without any problem.

For those who have difficulties with FLIR and JDAM coordinates;

Since JDAM using only DMS (Degree-Minute-Second) Precise format.You must change default coordinate format of hornet which is DDM (Degree-Decimal-Minute).

To do this;

HSI>DATA>A/C look at bottom right corner of DDI you will see a option to change between seconds and decimal degree.After you set it "Seconds" make sure you also boxed precise option (can be found in HSI>DATA).Now you can see same format as JDAM.

EDIT: @Habu_69 I just took control from your track and there is no problem.Make sure you are pressing "Throttle Designator Controller"

Edited by Zodiacc

On 5/2/2022 at 11:51 PM, Tholozor said:

The aircraft is initialized in Degree Decimal-Minutes, JDAM/JSOW only use Degree Minute Seconds. Switch the aircraft to DMS and box PRECISE, and they should line-up exactly.

Thank you!  Changing the coordinates mode as you described was the fix; there is no issue with coordinates passed from the targeting pod - as everyone else knew already 😄.

5 hours ago, Zodiacc said:

If you are trying to redefine WPDSG coordinates. It is not possible to change it with designating because it is waypoint designation. Therefore if you want to change it you have to change the waypoint coordinates from HSI Data Page. Otherwise after waypoint designation you can still override TOO coordinates from any sensor with TDC Depress while desired SOI selected.(A/G Radar, FLIR , Helmet etc.) Its working fine without any problem.

For those who have difficulties with FLIR and JDAM coordinates;

Since JDAM using only DMS (Degree-Minute-Second) Precise format. You must change default coordinate format of hornet which is DDM (Degree-Decimal-Minute).

To do this;

HSI>DATA>A/C look at bottom right corner of DDI you will see a option to change between seconds and decimal degree. After you set it "Seconds" make sure you also boxed precise option (can be found in HSI>DATA).Now you can see same format as JDAM.

EDIT: @Habu_69 I just took control from your track and there is no problem. Make sure you are pressing "Throttle Designator Controller"

Thanks to you, also.  

• Like 1

i7-9700k overclocked to 4.9ghz, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, M.2 NVMe drive, HP Reverb G2 version 2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and a Logitech Throttle Quadrant