Short range targetting

Mispunt

Hi all, I'm getting to grips with the realistic mode and I am liking it. Hats off to ED for pulling Black Shark off.

I have sofar not really been ready to tackle combat missions since I'm not good enough yet.

One thing I was hoping to find but haven't sofar:

what is the easiest and fastest method of targetting close up? Say you're doing strafing runs with cannons only and there are targets in your boresight (closing quickly) or there are targets of to your side (moving quickly).

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Mispunt

In fact, you have become a an airborn mudcrawler! :D

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

It makes sense though, locking targets cannot be an easy task. It's just that the helo sims I've played made it seem a lot more automated. I believe the technical term for that is: Kick *ss AI gunner. So my assumptions were rather unrealistic. :)

Shame the Kamov didn't include a ccip system though.

Whenever I get too close and want to strafe, you know, when you've taken out all the threats, and don't want to waste too much HE rounds on target, I usually target with the HMS. Correction with the Shkval is usually necessary, keeping it exactly on target while moving isn't really that easy :)

Not sure what you mean by CCIP system? The rockets seem to have a CCIP system that works just fine, sure, they don't always hit there, but then again, they're just rockets :p I'm almost surprised if they exactly hit the spot I targeted. If you want to aim the weapons through maneuvering you can always change the weapons mode (above the laser operation switch). Should make the gun fire along the waterline.

-Z

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I aaaaaam ... a banana!

The rockets seem to have a CCIP system that works just fine, sure, they don't always hit there, but then again, they're just rockets :p I'm almost surprised if they exactly hit the spot I targeted.

Gah, rockets are as good as paper weights! Just returned from a mission where I couldn't ignite a fuel truck(!) with 26 rockets from 2 to 0,8km (most at close range). The 14 other rockets managed to blow up a truck at 2,5km when aiming for an APC :)

The spread is quite awful. Did they forget to include stabilizing pins on the rockets at the factory? :noexpression:

Gah, rockets are as good as paper weights! Just returned from a mission where I couldn't ignite a fuel truck(!) with 26 rockets from 2 to 0,8km (most at close range). The 14 other rockets managed to blow up a truck at 2,5km when aiming for an APC :)

The spread is quite awful. Did they forget to include stabilizing pins on the rockets at the factory? :noexpression:

Rockets is not a precision weapon, think of it more as aerial artillery. You don't fire them at single targets, you fire lots of them at groups of targets. Which is a use they're good at.

For accuracy UPK-23 gun pods should work better (or of course the internal gun or Vikhrs).

Rockets is not a precision weapon, think of it more as aerial artillery. You don't fire them at single targets, you fire lots of them at groups of targets. Which is a use they're good at.

For accuracy UPK-23 gun pods should work better (or of course the internal gun or Vikhrs).

Yeah, that's pretty much the problem - no enemy concentrations to shoot rockets at. Good against buildings though, but rarely needs to target buildings (once in the campaign).

Gun works good with one or two hits and is precise :)

Gun works good with one or two hits and is precise :)

Sometimes too effective. 1 HE round hit from 30mm gun at 3.9km and APC (or any light armored targets) is burning... ;)

I actually find that I dont need to use AP rounds as HE seems to be more effective almost always.

I actually find that I dont need to use AP rounds as HE seems to be more effective almost always.

Aye - noticed that too...........AP rounds useless against an APC :gun_sniper:

Bug?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

It makes sense though, locking targets cannot be an easy task. It's just that the helo sims I've played made it seem a lot more automated. I believe the technical term for that is: Kick *ss AI gunner. So my assumptions were rather unrealistic. :)

Shame the Kamov didn't include a ccip system though.

Actually, the Ka-50 does have a CCIP system of sorts. You have to switch the targeting mode from automatic tracking to gun sight mode (Switch to the left of the Laser standby/off switch, flipped to the down position). This automatically places the impact point for 1100m. By placing the pipper over the target and pressing the target lock button, the laser will range the target and recalculate the impact point. You can do this multiple times while approaching the target, or by holding down the target lock button which will continuously range and calculate the new impact point. Holding down the button will require a cooldown period equal to the length of time that you held the target lock button down, however.

blitz-hawk is on the right track. One minor correction - the default pipper range in Gun Sight mode is set to 1500 m., not 1100 m.

I would also recommend using this mode for quick close up fire with rockets/gunpods/boresighted cannon.

Simply laze the target prior to firing to get accurate range info, adjust your aim and fire away.

Another important note about rockets - sideslip is your enemy. I would suggest that a lot of the spread you are seeing is due to poor helicopter control. To properly test out rocket accuracy, try shooting a medium burst from a steady auto-hover against a well-ranged target. I had recently watched a buddy kill a convoy this way from about 2 km. out.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

To make what EB is saying even more clear, when you're on a rocket strafing run, make sure your pipper has been steady on your target before you push that launch button.

Any yaw, slip, roll, or pitch during the rocket fire will cause your rocket pattern to be off-center at best and off-target area at worst.

Here low angle attacks are your enemy as well - get a reasonable dive angle on your targets when strafing if you aren't going to bother being stable. For a heli I'd call 20 reasonable enough, but 30 is better.

And hey EB, what about my rocket pass on that armor park? *whine whine whine* ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

To properly test out rocket accuracy, try shooting a medium burst from a steady auto-hover against a well-ranged target. I had recently watched a buddy kill a convoy this way from about 2 km. out.

Wow, from whopping 2km. In the earlier post where I couldn't whack a fuel truck with 26 rockets I was closing in on it very slowly, but rockets usually missed all around it - sometimes one rocket came short and the other flew over. From 2.5km I got a truck when I was hovering still and targeting MTLB - I only had to do mild adjustments to heading.

I don't get it how you'll get a whole convoy from 2km :o