Can the Reverb G2 controllers be configured under OpenXR?

Bowman-011

Hello everyone, 

Since the initial releases I've completely switched from SteamVR to OpenXR and I'm quite happy. 

However, there is one tiny thing that bothers me: I don't own PointCtrl and I'm using the Reverb G2's hand controllers which is an 'ok' solution for me. Under OpenXR they work slightly different than in SteamVR. For example the thumbstick deadzones are very small and force feedback is triggered when I touch the thumbstick, which makes no sense to me. Instead, haptic feedback when pressing cockpit buttons isn't working under OpenXR. 

There are so many components involved (OpenXR, OpenComposite, OpenXR Tool Kit and finally DCS) and I'm not sure where to fix this, if even possible. I was browsing through all the options and config files of the listed tools and I couldn't find anything. Is this hardcoded somewhere? I'd appreciate if someone could point me to the right direction, since I wasn't yet able to find an answer.

i7-12700KF - 64GB DDR4@3600MHz - RTX 4090 - HP Reverb G2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs - LG Rudder Pedals

• 3 months later...

Have the same problem.

For me the controller are only doing mouse left click (trigger) and mouse wheel down (grip button). Nothing else and this is very unusable.

In addition the controller have a vertical misalignment around 30° upwards. You will notice it if you have the laser and compare it against the position of your index finger if you point at something.

This is not a problem from DCS, this is a OpenXR thing, since you have it in the OpenXR demo scene too.

Question is, have someone else experienced it and was able to solve it?

cheers

Edited by Rampster

hace 4 horas, Rampster dijo:

Have the same problem.

For me the controller are only doing mouse left click (trigger) and mouse wheel down (grip button). Nothing else and this is very unusable.

In addition the controller have a vertical misalignment around 30° upwards. You will notice it if you have the laser and compare it against the position of your index finger if you point at something.

This is not a problem from DCS, this is a OpenXR thing, since you have it in the OpenXR demo scene too.

Question is, have someone else experienced it and was able to solve it?

cheers

Take a look to the help page in the openXR Toolkit, it seems to have an exe for binding the controllers (I think)

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/hand-tracking.html#controller-bindings-bindings-tab

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

I struggle also with the new Open Composite.

The new Runtime bin vrclient_x64.dll list the handtracking in DCS as a VIVE Controller. 

Nothing works anymore.. I can not bind the keys and same as Rampster I have only left click on trigger and wheel up on grip button

I rolled back to a old Runtime (middle august) and the handtracking is listet as Occulus touch and I can bind all the keys and no special behaviour for grip button

Someone know how to solve this? I don't think its OpenXR Toolkit but a OpenComposite Runtime problem

• 2 months later...

Nope. Unfortunately not. I gave up and decided to opt for a combination of using the mouse, physical MFD buttons and mouse button binds to my HOTAS. 

i7-12700KF - 64GB DDR4@3600MHz - RTX 4090 - HP Reverb G2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs - LG Rudder Pedals

I think most people don't use the controllers, they either bind mouse controls to hotas with the cursor slaved to the headset or use leap motion/pointctrl to manipulate controls.  Push comes to shove you could use the mouse 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Headset slaved vr mouse should be perfectly accurate. Bind the mouse buttons and wheel to hotas controls in DCS (modifiers are super handy for this) and ensure that use VR mouse is enabled. You can use joystick gremlin to bind mouse movement to a slew stick or hat switch.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 8:44 AM, edmuss said:

I think most people don't use the controllers, they either bind mouse controls to hotas with the cursor slaved to the headset or use leap motion/pointctrl to manipulate controls.  Push comes to shove you could use the mouse 🙂

We know, but we didn't pay $500 so the controllers would randomly stop working. I also seriously doubt ''most'' people don't use a key VR device. Neither is the point, however.

As implied, I have the same issues, thumbsticks don't work and the hands are rotated compared to before. Have yet to find a solution.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

3 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

We know, but we didn't pay $500 so the controllers would randomly stop working. I also seriously doubt ''most'' people don't use a key VR device. Neither is the point, however.

As implied, I have the same issues, thumbsticks don't work and the hands are rotated compared to before. Have yet to find a solution.

Just to be clear, these are bugs of OpenComposite and nothing to do with your "$500 controllers", the vendors that made them, and the developers of the OpenXR platform software you are using.

Edited by mbucchia

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Also to be fair, you didn't pay so that they would stop working, they work perfectly in the software environment that they were designed for.

Where you're expecting them to work is in software that costs nothing, written by amateurs (not to cast doubt on their abilities but purely in the sense that they're not getting paid to do it) who are doing this on the side for fun 🙂

If you wait for the development cycles to fully exhaust themselves (if it ever happens) then they might be fully bindable and all singing, all dancing.

On 12/23/2022 at 1:23 AM, mbucchia said:

Just to be clear, these are bugs of OpenComposite and nothing to do with your "$500 controllers", the vendors that made them, and the developers of the OpenXR platform software you are using.

I referred to the ''just use a mouse'' and that, yes, we know about the mouse. And yes, I agree with your statement, it is probably/definitely OpenComposite. I didn't ''blame'' anyone. I said ''just use a mouse'' is not the point.

On 12/23/2022 at 1:48 AM, edmuss said:

Also to be fair, you didn't pay so that they would stop working, they work perfectly in the software environment that they were designed for.

I would take issue with the perfectly bit 😛 My experience with HP was hit and miss way before OpenXR entered the field.

Where you're expecting them to work is in software that costs nothing,

I don't ''expect'' anything. They worked until recently, including with OpenComposite. They suddenly stopped doing so a few weeks back. I see it is not an isolated event, and commented. And again, the point was ''just use a mouse'' is irrelevant, and not what this stuf is for. The ideal striven for is ''everything working'' for most people.

written by amateurs (not to cast doubt on their abilities but purely in the sense that they're not getting paid to do it) who are doing this on the side for fun

I know. It's also beside the point.

If you wait for the development cycles to fully exhaust themselves (if it ever happens) then they might be fully bindable and all singing, all dancing.

And in the meantime, when things stop working, attention is drawn to it, as per usual.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Have you drawn the attention of the issue to the devs on discord? No point whinging about it here 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

There is a new version of OpenComposite made for SkyrimVR that has sticks deadzone adjustment and laser pointer orientation fix. Maybe it could help if you're still on OpenComposite.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/85389

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, 32GB RAM, RTX 4090, HP Reverb G2, VKB Gladiator NXT Premium, Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10, Joystick Gremlin, OpenKneeboard, VoiceAttack

• 1 month later...

I use a rift s currently and use the hand controllers every time I fly for startup and other tasks. I just bought a G2. This is really disappointing to read that we can’t use the hand controllers to their fullest potential. What discord is it I need to reach out to to find a fix. 

8600K|64 GB 3200|4090|m.2

http://www.blacksharkden.com/

Come join us!

1 minute ago, jnr4817 said:

I use a rift s currently and use the hand controllers every time I fly for startup and other tasks. I just bought a G2. This is really disappointing to read that we can’t use the hand controllers to their fullest potential. What discord is it I need to reach out to to find a fix. 

Two very different technologies. Why do you think you should be able to use Rift controllers with a Reverb G2? Last I saw G2 comes with it's own controllers. There is nothing to fix here really unless I am totally misunderstanding your statement.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

6 minutes ago, dburne said:

Two very different technologies. Why do you think you should be able to use Rift controllers with a Reverb G2? Last I saw G2 comes with it's own controllers. There is nothing to fix here really unless I am totally misunderstanding your statement.

No, I want to use the the g2 controllers as is but want to get the full function of them like my rift s. You totally misunderstood and I probably could have been more concise. I’ve read in several different places the g2 controller are suboptimal vs other implementations like the oculus software. 

Come join us!

• 2 weeks later...

The issue has been fixed since ED put in "native WMR headset support". Now you can again use the controllers w/o any issues (at least for the G2). Turning knobs, using switches, no problem anymore.

Edited by Rampster

6 hours ago, Rampster said:

The issue has been fixed since ED put in "native WMR headset support". Now you can again use the controllers w/o any issues (at least for the G2). Turning knobs, using switches, no problem anymore.

Where did you find this info? Have you tested it? What is meant be native WMR support?

Come join us!

19 hours ago, jnr4817 said:

Where did you find this info? Have you tested it? What is meant be native WMR support?

I play it using my Reverb G2 Controller for buttons, switches, rotaries and so on in the cockpit and have no issues at all and I meant that ED integrated OpenXR native support. No need to copy in some OpenXR files or using OpenComposite anymore. I also don´t use the OpenXR toolkit. I have the standalone Version, maybe different with Steam.

Edited by Rampster

2 hours ago, Rampster said:

I play it using my Reverb G2 Controller for buttons, switches, rotaries and so on in the cockpit and have no issues at all and I meant that ED integrated OpenXR native support. No need to copy in some OpenXR files or using OpenComposite anymore. I also don´t use the OpenXR toolkit. I have the standalone Version, maybe different with Steam.

Ok. Understood. How did you setup your g2 controller? I’m about to switch over to g2 from rifts. 

Come join us!

hace 2 horas, jnr4817 dijo:

Ok. Understood. How did you setup your g2 controller? I’m about to switch over to g2 from rifts. 

Just works by default, enable hands controllers on VR tab and play with it, assign at ui controls some keybind to show/hide hands, some modules works with direct finger touch, others need to be configured with pointer

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

• 1 month later...

To those using reverb g2 - is the laser pointer still causing the dials to turn clockwise as it passes over them? It is for me. Unfortunately the older .dll substitute causes the vr gloves to point down 30 degrees or s

edit - disregard that. I've just realised the force openxr command line had been cleared and it was reverting back to opencomposite (which is causing the bug?)

Edited by Dogmanbird