DCS P-51 retains too much momentum on final approach

Talvid
Go to solution Solved by grafspee,

Any one else find it difficult to slow down on approach to the runway?  It says to bring it in at 2700 engine rpm, but I'm down to 2000 rpm and 25 inHG manifold pressure with full flaps, gear down and it is still at 120kts by the time I touch down.  Whoa Nelly!

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

• Solution
15 hours ago, Iceman555 said:

Any one else find it difficult to slow down on approach to the runway?  It says to bring it in at 2700 engine rpm, but I'm down to 2000 rpm and 25 inHG manifold pressure with full flaps, gear down and it is still at 120kts by the time I touch down.  Whoa Nelly!

Set 2700 and you will slow down nicely, and for final approach you need to cut off power even more. One more question, are you converting to kts or do you think that p51 speedometer shows kts? I usually keep speed 120-140mph at approach and at runway threshold i cut power and glide it to the run way. 25/2700 is power for descending and approach not for landing for landing you need close throttle completely. And using 2000 rpm will won't make you slow down faster, actually you will slow down a lot slower. If you need slow down faster you have to increase rpm.

This is my landing from full speed

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Tbh i find the mustang quite easy to land. I usually set rpm to full and manifold somewhere in the green. Itll slow down to 150mph ish if you just do an extra round over the airfield. Make sure you dont start your descend from above 1500ft or youll be too fast again.

Touch down should be around 90mph.

The mustang is actually quite responsive to throttle inputs.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grafspee said:

Set 2700 and you will slow down nicely, and for final approach you need to cut off power even more. One more question, are you converting to kts or do you think that p51 speedometer shows kts? I usually keep speed 120-140mph at approach and at runway threshold i cut power and glide it to the run way. 25/2700 is power for descending and approach not for landing for landing you need close throttle completely. And using 2000 rpm will won't make you slow down faster actually you will slow down a lot slower. If you need slow down faster you have to increase rpm.

This is my landing from full speed

At the end you were down to 2300 rpm about the time you flared, and are you not worried about windmilling the prop?  (Air forcing it faster than the engine)  in the DCS P-47 this will actually damage the main bearing. 

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

48 minutes ago, Iceman555 said:

At the end you were down to 2300 rpm about the time you flared, and are you not worried about windmilling the prop?  (Air forcing it faster than the engine)  in the DCS P-47 this will actually damage the main bearing. 

This part what are you talking about do not involve windmilling engine at all. Prop was creating thrust to maintain speed about 140 in descent with gear and flaps deployed, there is only short part of my approach where i windmill engine for a while. It was when i reduce mp from 46 to 25 at high speed (but even this barely classify as windmilling since some power was left 25" which is still some power) but soon after i entered climb turn to bleed speed and as soon as i start deploying flaps windmilling was gone if ever been. In this short part i windmill engine. At low speeds you cant windmill engine. Wind milling happens when you cut throttle but rpm stay high at low approach speeds this wont happen, when i droped throttle engine rpm droped too so no windmill at all. Oh one thing related to constant speed prop, for landing you set rpm 2700 before approach, then this rpm setting stays until before engine shut-off. This does not mean that pilot have maintain 2700 rpm all the time if plane slows down rpm will drop regardless what rpm are set. 

About P-47 in DCS initial bearing damage implementation was exaggerated, recent patch addressed this issue so P-47 is no longer that fragile, you can cut throttle and windmill engine with danged in immediate engine death. 

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

3 hours ago, Iceman555 said:

You should use 2700rpm on final approach so in case of go around you have power available, with 2300 engine response is sluggish and slow and you might end in problems. That's the reason for that although as always the "sim reality" might be different than RL. Anyhow, it isn't said anywhere how much manifold pressure you should use, so 2700rpm means nothing to engine power, or excessive power, if you lower your manifold to whatever you need. You have to slow down the aircraft well before final approach, low manifold, keep nose at the horizon/try to keep altitude, and you'll see how it slows down nicely and easy, no matter how much rpm you set as far as manifold is low enough. As soon as you slow to 150mph and drop down gear/flaps it's not going anywhere from there and 2700 are really welcome to keep the glide path in the dirt aircraft. Just practice that slow down technique, it's useful for any aircraft in the world, not only P-51.

• Thanks 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

40 minutes ago, Doughguy said:

Not really necessary in the mustang unless you need to land urgently and come in too fast. 

Cuz mr hanky's already drawin around in your nickers and so.

Like Robin Olds did when the flaps wouldn't go down, and it flipped over anywhere below 200 mph?

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

4 minutes ago, Doughguy said:

Basically yes. But the side slip needs some practice as you basically stall the aircraft rather fast and it might result in flipping over. Needs careful inputs.

If you need to slow down the aircraft fast its g2g. But as said for normal operations to slow down its not really neccessary.

Midway style

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

9 hours ago, Iceman555 said:

Good landing there :clap_2:.

Anyhow, try not to come in too low, runway is hidden under your nose and you're literally hanging from the engine, it's always better a bit higher glide path with a lower engine setting. Not like engine stop is a problem in sims (one doesn't pay the bills after all 🤣 ) but it's more optimal from a flight perspective and you can see the runway better all the approach.

• Thanks 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice