Radar gets stuck in TWSA while a Phoenix is outbound...

Callsign JoNay

I don't know how long this bug has been present, but ever since the new C-model Phoenix features have been introduced, I've been strategically breaking gimbals more often and I've noticed some buggy behavior as a result. See below a video that demonstrates radar mode selection and some inconsistent behavior between the Jester wheel and doing it yourself in the RIO seat.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rinz1er said:

Definitely feels like a bug. My workaround to any situation where the radar is locked on to something or doing something I don't want, is to quickly hit the PLM button which always resets it.

Yeah any ACM mode like VSL or PAL to drop the lock. In terms of the radar scan volume switching, it snaps because the WCS has decided to reconsider the target since you can see it on the TID. If you don't see it on the TID, the target isn't weighted. It's sort of similar to how it is when you drop the range down to prevent targets like 100nm out changing your antenna elevation when you're trying to guide against someone at 50nm. Then when you switch back to ATTK mode, it still takes time for the WCS to basically "reset" (go back to 0 degree azimuth).

In terms of using the Jester wheel to switch radar modes, I think if you try to switch from TWS Auto to RWS while a PHX is in the air with the keybind, it might work but I can't check that now. The ACM mode workaround seems to be the best at the moment.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

1 hour ago, DSplayer said:

, I think if you try to switch from TWS Auto to RWS while a PHX is in the air with the keybind, it might work but I can't check that now.

It doesn't. I use the keybind all the time, I just used the Jester Wheel for this video specifically so people wouldn't say "it's probably a problem with the keybind". 😄

Using the Jester wheel and pressing the actual button aren't the same function and shouldn't be. When you use the wheel you're telling Jester to do something, you're not pressing the actual button. So it's actually Jester not allowing you to switch, not that pressing the button doesn't work. So not really a bug but something that should probably be looked at.

The reason for the ACM modes working to break it is because in that case you're manually doing stuff rather than asking Jester for it.

• Like 2

Yeah this is definitely something where Jester could/should improve though. He will also refuse to transition out of TWSA long after all missiles have gone active/hit targets because some track is still counting down into the negative timeout limit (-16 I think?) somewhere off scope. Been that way since I can remember.

As @Rinz1er mentioned, temporarily depressing PLM at the end of an engagement has been part of my system when flying with Jester since forever. Forces the radar back into search and he will reluctantly accept the slap on the wrist and start listening to my instructions again 😛

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Schlomo1933 said:

Why u want to switch the radar to RWS while a phoenix is on the run? Phoenix is only working in TWSA 

Once it goes active or the track breaks there's no longer a reason to maintain TWS-A and you're better off resetting to save those precious cycles of AWG-9 processing power. Especially when you start getting to the shorter engagement ranges and TWS persists in tracking some off-heading phantom track.

In the back seat I'd just delete this track or switch to P-SRCH depending on the situation, in the front seat the best way to maximize your SA in such a situation is to cycle to RWS.

2 minutes ago, Noctrach said:

Once it goes active or the track breaks there's no longer a reason to maintain TWS-A and you're better off resetting to save those precious cycles of AWG-9 processing power. Especially when you start getting to the shorter engagement ranges and TWS persists in tracking some off-heading phantom track.

In the back seat I'd just delete this track or switch to P-SRCH depending on the situation, in the front seat the best way to maximize your SA in such a situation is to cycle to RWS.

True but a DCS-ism. Completely contrary to IRL though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Schlomo1933 said:

Why u want to switch the radar to RWS while a phoenix is on the run? Phoenix is only working in TWSA 

Why does it matter what I want to do? A bug is a bug.

There's also a bug that prevents the user from switching between the two PD/PSTT modes from the front seat, both with the hotkey method and the Jester wheel, but I haven't been able to figure out how to reproduce it.

On 10/24/2022 at 8:57 PM, Callsign JoNay said:

Why does it matter what I want to do? A bug is a bug.

There's also a bug that prevents the user from switching between the two PD/PSTT modes from the front seat, both with the hotkey method and the Jester wheel, but I haven't been able to figure out how to reproduce it.

As I recall switching only works once on bandit. If you break lock and relock him Jester doesnt switch to PSTT when asked 

2 hours ago, The_Tau said:

As I recall switching only works once on bandit. If you break lock and relock him Jester doesnt switch to PSTT when asked 

Yes, I think that's consistent with my experiences. It usually comes after re-acquiring an STT on something after dropping it. Was this bug reported already? I'd like to bump the report if this is old news that slipped between the cracks.

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2022 at 6:23 PM, Noctrach said:

shame on me but i never tried it in the RIO seat. In the front seat i simply switch to the horizontal scan and turn it off again immediatly to reset Jester. works fine for me.

And if i the bandit is close enough, wich usually happens to me i lock him in this mode than shoot an forgett.

Edited by Absolut

• 10 months later...
On 9/23/2022 at 3:27 AM, Naquaii said:

Using the Jester wheel and pressing the actual button aren't the same function and shouldn't be. When you use the wheel you're telling Jester to do something, you're not pressing the actual button. So it's actually Jester not allowing you to switch, not that pressing the button doesn't work. So not really a bug but something that should probably be looked at.

The reason for the ACM modes working to break it is because in that case you're manually doing stuff rather than asking Jester for it.

I just had this bug, after launching Phoenix's Jester refuses to leave TWS auto. 

PLM, PAL, VSL Low none of them take it out of TWS Auto.

With the control indicator up I can see it's not changing modes. I even ask for TWS MAN or RWS to try and force it.

Sure it's good to stay in TWS for a Phoenix to track, but with a popup target at 25nm I need to switch to self defense mode and take control but he doesn't let me. In this case I was very lucky he didn't see me and I was able to manually use AIM9 but the merge was unnecessary if pilot radar control would've worked.

I considered if something happened to the INS, but I hadn't done any maneuvering yet at that point I was still high.

To double check my joystick binds I did a quick takeoff afterwards and engaged PAL without issue.

Track attached.

UAE RED1 ACTUAL-20231103-075022 - Copy.trk

Edited by TAIPAN_

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

On 10/27/2022 at 2:02 AM, Callsign JoNay said:

Yes, I think that's consistent with my experiences. It usually comes after re-acquiring an STT on something after dropping it. Was this bug reported already? I'd like to bump the report if this is old news that slipped between the cracks.

This is definitely still an issue. PDSTT -> PSTT from the front seat (either via jester button or wheel) seems to work once per session. You can tell from the ctrl-enter control indicator that in subsequent attempts jester says OK but nothing happens, and stays in PDSTT