Graphics issue, blurry text in DCS main menu as well in cockpit

Gideon312

Spoiler

Bumping my head for days now. Reinstalled win10 and DCS to open beta. I had crystal crisp graphics, all settings maxed out.

But now I’ve got blurry text all over the place, like in the DCS menu, but also in the cockpit. 

I’m guessing it’s something outside DCS which causes the problem.

Any help is much appreciated.

8 hours ago, Gideon312 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Bumping my head for days now. Reinstalled win10 and DCS to open beta. I had crystal crisp graphics, all settings maxed out.

But now I’ve got blurry text all over the place, like in the DCS menu, but also in the cockpit. 

I’m guessing it’s something outside DCS which causes the problem.

Any help is much appreciated.

did you reinstall graphics drivers? what monitor resolution native and upload options LUA. a start anyway.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

26 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

did you reinstall graphics drivers? what monitor resolution native and upload options LUA. a start anyway.

Thanks for your time.

- Yes I did a reinstall of the latest Nvidia graphic drivers (517.48 release date 09/27/2022).

- My native display resolution is 2560 x 1440

Options.lua

My specs are: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, ROG STRIX B550-E, RAM 32.0 GB, NIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti, Corsair MP400 SSD, Win10

Edited by Gideon312

@Gideon312 - nothing stands out in your options except possibly try ["MSAA"] = 1 

do you have record of your nVidia settings in NCP?

these are mine. we have similar GFX

GLOBAL SETTINGS

image.png

PROGRAM SETTINGS for DCS.EXE

image.png

Edited by silverdevil

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

1 minute ago, Gideon312 said:

Tested with your settings (Global and Specific): I see no changes, FPS are the same. Same blurriness in text in-/outside the cockpit and DCS menu.

roger. i have an idea. since you have record of the settings, restore default. i think the DSR settings you have are incorrect. i believe you should only have one number in the first occurrence. i have DSR smoothness at 50%

DSR – Factor: DSR stands for Dynamic Super Resolution, which allows your PC to render a game at a resolution higher than the monitor can physically support, and then downsamples that image to the display's native size. While computationally costly, this method yields improved quality in almost every area and works on every game. Think of it as a brute force supersample anti-aliasing method.

The "factor" values selected here are a multiple of the original screen resolution that will be available inside a game once the option is chosen, so for example a 1080p game run at a factor of 4x will allow the game to run at a virtual 4K resolution, downsampled to 1920x1080, while 1.78x corresponds to 2560x1440.

If you have the graphics horsepower to spare or are playing an old game, or if you're using a lower resolution monitor with a high-end graphics card, consider enabling DSR.

DSR – Smoothness: This value controls the amount of smoothness used in the downsampling process when DSR is activated. Leave at the default 33% to start, adjusting as needed but keep in mind that higher values can cause blurry images.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-control-panel-a-beginners-guide/

50 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

roger. i have an idea. since you have record of the settings, restore default. i think the DSR settings you have are incorrect. i believe you should only have one number in the first occurrence. i have DSR smoothness at 50%

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-control-panel-a-beginners-guide/

Did a restore on the Global settings. Set DSR factors to 2.25DL and smoothness to 50%.

With those settings no changes 😰

I have the same problems. Blurry on every edge of things when I move around my head.

I was not like that before and recently DCS has been updated.

Also Nvidia driver has been updated(RTX3080Ti) so not for sure which cause the issue.

By the way It only in DCS 😞

BLURRY !!!

Thanks BigNewy, but no joy either. I guess there must be another setting outside Nvidia control panel. Tried every setting from a restore  point. I can’t see no improvement.

Googled around for blurriness Win10 and set everything as suggested:

- cleartype 

- change size of text, apps, other items

- fix (advanced) scaling for apps

- changing DPI settings (overall and specific DCS)

- tried different resolutions / refresh rates

Edited by Gideon312

Examine the settings under system properties -> performance options in windows. Some of those settings are related to font sharpening. It's just from the top of my head, but it may be related.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

On 10/5/2022 at 12:35 PM, Hiob said:

Examine the settings under system properties -> performance options in windows. Some of those settings are related to font sharpening. It's just from the top of my head, but it may be related.

Thanks, did that dance as well, no joy.

On 10/5/2022 at 11:31 AM, silverdevil said:

@Gideon312 something we have not seen, or whether it will help. can you do a print screen while in flight? print screen button, exit DCS and paste into Paint app.

Here we go. 🙏 Keep in mind that it is not bad, it is really different than before.

Screen_221007_161855.png

Edited by Gideon312

Sorry, from the screenshot I can’t see anything unusual at first glance….

Perhaps it doesn’t show very well on a still.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 4 weeks later...

I have blurry texts / wordings / labels in DCS for a long time now. My system is rather high end with RTX3080 and have most stuff set to highest in DCS.

Recently changed to a new 32 inch LG G-Sync, and had followed most recommendations to NVI settings including from this thread, but still same problem. Had that problem too previously in an older system.

In the attached image, labels such as "Steering Enabled", gauges, buttons' texts, etc., are all quite blurry, whereas videos on YouTube mostly show texts to be very clear. Any advice appreciated.

Note - You need to expand on attached Pic to see clearer.

Screen_221031_134007.jpg

Edited by Avio

• 1 year later...

Hmm, some of these settings seemed to have helped with the blurry foreground.  Anyone figure out which 1 makes the most difference?  Didn't think DSR did anything and I don't know if I even need it with DLAA.

This is in 1440p.

Phew, never had a game take this much work before.

DSR has less effect than anything else.  The only thing I left on at the driver level was AA for transparency.  That doesn't effect clarity, but it does effect the edges of the HUD in certain situations where the light really hits it.  DSR makes UI text really stand out and sharpness at DLAA need to be turned down.  Any other AA in Nvidia control center causes cockpit blurring except maybe transparency?  The problem, most noticeable on the Viper, is that I still get jaggies along the plane, even with sharpening turned down.  It's most noticeable when looking at the wingtip missile rails.  So, with DLAA certain things look a lot better, and my framerates are much higher, but many other things look worse.  I wouldn't say the cockpit is as clear as it was pre 2.9.  There are more jaggies with more forms of AA turned off.  There is still some ghosting and blurring.  But hey, I'm getting FPS my grandma couldn't imagine, so there's that?

So, right now, I have the option of horribly blurry cockpit with no jaggies, or a cockpit that's not quite as clear as 2.8 and a little bit of ghosting and jaggies.  DSR has no effect on this.  Anyone else? 1024 is really the best I can get for cockpit textures?

Edited by SickSidewinder9