DCS World Installation constipation

Slippa
Go to solution Solved by silverdevil,

I’ve spent the past few days trying to install both DCS World & Open Beta without any luck. Every time it’s installing it times out and gives up the ghost. “Server capacity may be limited at the moment. Please try again later” pops up and I’m grounded. Believe me, I’ve tried later, many times.

I’ve wiped Windows 10 out and reinstalled it, fresh. I Let windows do a few updates and tried to install dcs using the download from the site. It’s not having it. It does the same thing when trying Open Beta. I download “Skate”s DCS updated GUI and got nowhere with that yesterday, I’m having a whale of a time, haven’t flown a Dickie bird in a week, not to mention a Spitfire.

any help would be great. Apologies to the mods if this is in the wrong sub-forum or whatever but the way things are going I should be thankful if it’s even on the right website.

cheers.

I have Windows defender running. I tried installing with firewalls off yesterday after reading antivirus may interfere but got the same time-out message every time. I have nothing but windows 10 installed now, save a few windows updates. 

• Solution

@Slippa where are you located in the world? are you using a VPN software? perhaps you cannot get to the DCS download site because of location.

edit: this is a really old post but may be some help.

Edited by silverdevil
added possible precedence post

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I'm in the UK. I'm not using any VPN software, I've installed nothing but Windows 10 then tried DCS over and over. The updater crashes whatever I do. I'm baffled. I installed it all months ago without any problems or without having to turn off antivirus software. Been trying for a few hours with firewalls off again. 

5 minutes ago, Slippa said:

Knowing nothing about it, I looked up ipv4 and ipv6. Ran a test which failed. Both come back 'not supported' and 'unreachable'. I take it this isn't a good sign?

can you post where you tested and results?

look at this college website to disable IPV6. you can always re-enable.

https://answers.uillinois.edu/uis/page.php?id=99981

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Cheers, I'm trying it now...

- Disabled it, like a fool. More attempts, more adventures into the reg editor where I really shouldn't be let loose on. Just seen the edit and will disable it again tomorrow and cross my fingers. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Slippa
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Slippa said:

Cheers, I'm trying it now...

- Disabled it, like a fool. More attempts, more adventures into the reg editor where I really shouldn't be let loose on. Just seen the edit and will disable it again tomorrow and cross my fingers. Thanks for the help.

good luck and clear skies!

5 hours ago, silverdevil said:

good luck and clear skies!

Cheers. Unfortunately it's more a case of clear hard-drive than clear skies. I tried a few more times after messing about but neither DCS nor Open-Beta want to know. Installing other software went as expected, my upload speeds are low but other things installed ok and run. I wiped the lot earlier and re-installed Windows 10, updated everything and stared at the HOTAS which is looking a bit despondent. 

Months back, I installed DCS without any messing about. No need to turn any AV off or go messing about with the registry and apart from windows updates, the system hasn't been changed. About a week or so back Windows started needing security updates but wouldn't install them. The clock thought the year was 8560 or something and after a few days of trying to install updates I thought I'd better do a clean install of Windows and re-install DCS. I'm baffled. 

I'm gonna make a cup of tea and stare at the HOTAS some more. Thoughts of sitting in a wingless, peppered Spitfire fuselage clicking 'request repair' are a distant memory. I might just sit holding the throttles forward and pretend I'm in a fully loaded Mossie on a short grass airfield hurtling towards the threshold chanting 'come on ice cream' in the vain hope of getting off the ground. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'll have another look at the different settings before trying another install but I can't see what I'm doing that's any different from before.

Cheers for looking.

@Slippa time being incorrect can indeed cause issues. so does disk space. follow WAY 2 on this link https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/how-to-check-total-hard-disk-size.html and post the screenshot. also what drive contains DCS? if we can get this fixed we can fly together lol.

I'm on a Mac. I'm using a Bootcamp drive that's about 1tb. I've installed nothing but Windows 10 and its relevant updates. 

By way of experiment I've installed Forza and some other bits while still trying DCS. Everything else works ok. Windows edge browser is still playing up, having to go into task manager to end process before it'll open.  null

image.png

On 10/6/2022 at 9:21 PM, silverdevil said:

what drive contains DCS?

Bootcamp is C, it's all on there. I installed Windows 10, Windows 10 updates, then went straight for DCS today. I've set it up pretty much exactly the way it was set up almost a year ago. Except now, DCS install gets to the updater then times out, every time. 

I've installed everything else again, other software, it's all working apart from DCS and Open Beta. I even tried the original DCS.exe file a couple of times. Tried DCSRepair and I've completely wiped the drive and reinstalled everything about 5 or 6 times in the past week. DCS just isn't installing for me.

Capture.PNG1.PNG

@Slippa 

windows defender AV gets installed by default. have you added exceptions? all the timeouts are caused by connectivity to DCS servers. think of it as a hose of water. somewhere between the water supply and the faucet there is a blockage or leak. you have to sort through each bit to find the fault.

i believe you should put in a support ticket. https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/ login here to submit.

On 10/5/2022 at 4:14 PM, Slippa said:

I have Windows defender running. I tried installing with firewalls off yesterday after reading antivirus may interfere but got the same time-out message every time. I have nothing but windows 10 installed now, save a few windows updates. 

I tried turning off firewalls altogether yes but I'm not sure I did everything as I should? I tried adding exceptions as well earlier. Still no good. Everything else will install bar DCS, baffling and annoying. I've written a ticket and will see, cheers for the pointers. 

@MAXsenna

I’m not sure? Right from the start, I was using the .exe file from months ago to install everything. The same thing I used that worked previously. Since that wouldn’t work, I came to the site and downloaded the installers from here. I read the post by BIGNEWY about replacing the updater in the .bin file and tried that too. Not sure if that’s what you mean though? I’m obviously not about to win any awards in IT.

This morning, I tried checking through a list of things to try that support sent me. All the settings seem to be as they should be, I’ve added An exception for the C/ DCSWorld folder in Windows Defender. Turned off firewalls and just about everything I could. I’ve tried adjusting the DNS and trying it all over but nothing I’m doing is getting it sorted. As I type this, the time out pop-up just came up for the thousandth time after another failed attempt. I’m about to wipe the drive again. I’ll spend an hour or so installing Windows10, then it’s updates and start all over again. 

cheers for looking.

36 minutes ago, Slippa said:

I read the post by BIGNEWY about replacing the updater in the .bin file and tried that too. Not sure if that’s what you mean though?

Yeah, exactly that.

Is your Windows user account a full admin?

It complained about files in certain folders, and I've seen the updater fail if certain files are corrupted, (often by AV).
Things to try:

Like you did, add the Eagle Dynamics folder to Defender's exclusion list, but after completely empty these folders:

_downloads
Bazar
CoreMods
Sounds.edc

(You could do Mods as well for good measure).

Then run a full slow repair, and show us the logs. 🤞🏻

Cheers!

Wiped the lot and started over. I Installed Windows10, nothing else. I downloaded DCSWorld here and tried to install it. Same failure but now it had created the relevant folders I needed to empty. I downloaded the updater from here, deleted the one in the .bin folder and copied in the replacement. 

I checked to make sure I'm the admin on the Microsoft Account, apparently I am. I made exceptions to Eagle Dynamics as well as the DCSWorld folders then switched off the firewall and antivirus. I've nothing else installed. 

Seriously, I haven't changed a thing in months. Hardware or Software, it's all as it was, save for windows updates. If Windows hadn't started playing up I would've left it all as it was. Everything else installs ok but typically, I'm more bothered about getting my planes back than anything else.

Cheers for the help anyhow.

autoupdate_log.txt

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

The Bootcamp drive is just a virtual hard drive or a chunk of a physical one?

Bootcamp is actually a set of drivers for windows that allow it to recognize the Apple hardware correctly. The hard drive of the Apple Computer uses a file system that Windows can't interpret, so the Mac user has to set aside a disk partition for use with Bootcamp, to be formated using NTFS so that Windows can then be installed on it.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB