Soooo, Normandy 2 map

Jayhawk1971

Reflected,

would you consider "re-releasing" payware ported versions of your WW2-campaigns for the new "merged" Normandy map by Ugra that was announced today? It could follow a similar pricing model as Ugra's: those who already own the respective campaign for the "legacy" maps would get a discount, whereas "newcomers" to DCS WW2 would purchase at full price.

I always held back at pouncing on WW2 (I've owned the P-51 for years and never did anything with it beyond the tutorials) content, because of the hassle involved (two additional maps, an asset pack, a new SSD to incorporate said two maps.....). Now though, with a "once size fits all" map coming up, I am inclined to reconsider, if there were quality content for the map. 🙂 

As I said in my latest video I’m not gonna maintain several alternate versions, that’s a development suicide.  Normandy 1 only / Normandy 1 and channel / Normandy 2 only/ Normandy 2 and channel, sorry, no way. 

and from the Channel you can’t just ‘move ‘ the missions to Normandy 2 without having to rebuild them from scratch, and that is not going to happen either. 

I am, however, going to make sure that my missions work on both (as the announcement promised they would). People who bought my Normandy campaigns bought it with the requirement of the Normandy 1 map. I can’t add another payware requirement retrospectively. 

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't get me wrong: I  understood the point you were making in your video. I was just thinking that this particular map may constitute a "special circumstance", because from the newsletter I got the impression that this may very well make both current WWII maps kinda obsolete in the future, since Normandy gets completely replaced by version 2. So what if the current Channel map will be made redundant as Normandy 2 would "swallow" the area? That was my train of thought. 

Like the original Black Shark was made obsolete by Black Shark 2.

Edited by Jayhawk1971

But how can I be sure everyone who bought my campaigns will buy Normandy 2? That's the point, I can't. I'd just spend my upcoming 1-2 years re-making existing missions from scratch so that people can play it on a different map covering the same area.

And again, my Normandy campaigns should work with Normandy 2 as well, so nothing is getting obsolete.

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Nealius said:

So basically, if we have Normandy 1 and Channel, and your campaigns, and get Normandy 2 then delete Normandy 1, the campaigns will still work fine?

You don't need to own the Channel, only for the Channel map campaigns. . The way I understand you won't need to delete Normandy 1 either. It's the same map, but either upgraded or not.  Same pig, with or without a lipstick 😄 Well, of course, not a pig, and the lipstick makes it bigger too on the sides.

• Like 1

It seems the intention is for it to be fully drop-in compatible, just prettier. I might end up buying The Channel on the next sale, if only to take advantage of Normandy discount. 🙂 

Also, it appears that at least initially, it might not include everything The Channel does, anyway.

I would say just create new content for the new map and those who bought the old campaigns, if they move up, buy the new content. I would not expect Reflected to have recreate all that for free. That change is on ED, not Reflected. I would say when the new map comes, make new great campaigns for the new map, charge full price and forget about the old. Until then, I think campaigns on the WWII maps created by Reflected after the announcement of the new map would have to be ported to the new map, in good faith, since we are buying something knowing the map is going away. The campaigns that Reflected makes are great, so I would buy any new ones, at full price, just my two cents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iron Sights said:

I would say just create new content for the new map and those who bought the old campaigns, if they move up, buy the new content. I would not expect Reflected to have recreate all that for free. That change is on ED, not Reflected. I would say when the new map comes, make new great campaigns for the new map, charge full price and forget about the old. Until then, I think campaigns on the WWII maps created by Reflected after the announcement of the new map would have to be ported to the new map, in good faith, since we are buying something knowing the map is going away. The campaigns that Reflected makes are great, so I would buy any new ones, at full price, just my two cents.

Thanks. If things go south, that would make most sense. But I'd just hate to see my campaigns not using the full potential of DCS. We'll see.

• Like 1

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Iron Sights:

I would not expect Reflected to have recreate all that for free

And to be fair, no one asked for that. I wrote "payware ported version", which means charge for the upgrade, maybe discounted for those who already own the original campaign, and full prize for those who don't. 

No one is asking Reflected to do any of his work for free. He puts way too much effort and passion into his projects for that. IMO he deserves every penny for his work.

But of course I fully understand his point, because I bet he is already hard at work on his upcoming projects (for which he is currently passionate about, so most of his creative energy is probably focused on that), and being from the creative side myself, I understand that as a creator you'd rather not invest too much time and energy into past projects, even if you get revenue for the work, unless you see some potential in expanding on it. Once your "children" have moved out, you need to let them go. 🙂 

The info that content for Normandy 1 may work almost flawlessly on Normandy 2 is already good news, at least for me. I'll definitely purchase Normandy 2 and Blue Nosed Bastards once this map is released and optimized enough to be playable in VR.

I was only asking because I found the map thing confusing initially.

Edited by Jayhawk1971
  • Like 1