Question about sustained turn performance

oldcrusty

Raptor could probably do it easily but can the Hornet turn at 470 kts, at 10k feet MSL with 8.5 fuel and 2xAim9X?  Full stick back ~ 6.8G

This is nothing new. I've been wondering about this for a while but usually I stay below 450 during gun fights and at those speeds Hornet bleeds profusely...

Short clip:

Edited by oldcrusty

On 10/8/2022 at 9:15 PM, Hulkbust44 said:
On 10/8/2022 at 7:31 PM, oldcrusty said:
Shouldn't Hornet start bleeding airspeed at full stick back (~7G) at parameters described above?

Not at all, you're way too fast. The F-16 even arcs at 450+

The hornet should bleed at all airspeeds. It shouldnt arc like the viper

maybe it will be fixed with the FM update

Edited by dramabeats
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dramabeats said:

The hornet should bleed at all airspeeds. It shouldnt arc like the viper

maybe it will be fixed with the FM update

With the weight and altitude quoted above, current FCS will allow the DCS Hornet to maintain the airspeed between ~ 550 and 465 knots (or close to it).  The max G is toned down a bit (6.7, 6.8).   Above this a/s and below, the energy will bleed.  This of course changes at different weights and altitudes.

6 minutes ago, oldcrusty said:

With the weight and altitude quoted above, current FCS will allow the DCS Hornet to maintain the airspeed between ~ 550 and 465 knots (or close to it).  The max G is toned down a bit (6.7, 6.8).   Above this a/s and below, the energy will bleed.  This of course changes at different weights and altitudes.

ya, its wrong

• ED Team

As always if you have evidence something is wrong please PM it to me so we can check.

We have mentioned recently in the mini update, following the substantial update to the Viper flight model and FLCS, the team is now focused on the Hornet flight model and FCS. In parallel, important changes are being made to the landing gear and how it behaves at touchdown / touch and goes. This is the primary Hornet task.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 months later...

to complain about such  subjects you need to have an understanding of the EM diagrams of the airplane you are talking about, not just a feeling.  its all about how many g's you can pull, at what speed. the fa-18c having the limiter on how many g's it will let you pull, it makes perfect sense that once you get above the curve you wont be able to slow down the train with out getting out of burner.  you dont realize how powerful the military fighter jets are sitting in front of a screen.

@oldcrusty do the same exact thing that you did in the video except this time when you are full aft pitch,  depress the paddle switch which is the nws/autopilot disengage switch.

12 hours ago, DukeAngus said:

to complain about such  subjects you need to have an understanding of the EM diagrams of the airplane you are talking about, not just a feeling.  its all about how many g's you can pull, at what speed. the fa-18c having the limiter on how many g's it will let you pull, it makes perfect sense that once you get above the curve you wont be able to slow down the train with out getting out of burner.  you dont realize how powerful the military fighter jets are sitting in front of a screen.

@oldcrusty do the same exact thing that you did in the video except this time when you are full aft pitch,  depress the paddle switch which is the nws/autopilot disengage switch.

Yea I know about the paddle, who doesn't these days 😬  .  If that's what EM charts say them all I can do is... post another tribute to my favorite powerhouse:

The problem isn't that the F-18 doesn't "bleed" speed, it's that its lacking pitch authority at higher speeds. It's not an energy problem so much as it is a FCS/FM problem, it can't pull hard enough to lose speed and prevent arcing.

You can easily test this by starting at 380 knots, 15000 feet and going into afterburner and performing a split S. In the real world you'd be able to pull hard enough to maintain control of your speed, in DCS you'll end up exiting the turn at 500 knots due to a lack of pitch authority.

Edited by MARLAN_
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

1 hour ago, MARLAN_ said:

The problem isn't that the F-18 doesn't "bleed" speed, it's that its lacking pitch authority at higher speeds. It's not an energy problem so much as it is a FCS/FM problem, it can't pull hard enough to lose speed and prevent arcing.

You can easily test this by starting at 380 knots, 15000 feet and going into afterburner and performing a split S. In the real world you'd be able to pull hard enough to maintain control of your speed, in DCS you'll end up exiting the turn at 500 knots due to a lack of pitch authority.

I could swear it did have that authority a (long) while back but... it's all hazy now in my head. All that 'sitting in front of the screen' is not helping either :yes:

• 9 months later...