Can't use both monitors

moggel

I really hate the way windows makes seemingly un-neccessary duplicate folders for so many things though. Whats the friggin point I ask??? Just takes up extra disk space as far as I can tell and complicates tasks like this dual monitor setup procedure.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb756996.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709628(WS.10).aspx

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2007/01/23/security-features-vs-convenience.aspx

If you don't like it turn off User Access Control (i don't recommend it, but, will stop the disk space usage)

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I guess the old trial and error approach will do it. Just wondered what ppl were doing with the other file...

I really hate the way windows makes seemingly un-neccessary duplicate folders for so many things though. Whats the friggin point I ask??? Just takes up extra disk space as far as I can tell and complicates tasks like this dual monitor setup procedure. The mind boggles as to their logic, or lack of.. lol

The point is to protect the (mainstream) users from accepting to garbage from the net.

You're fine if you unplug you computer from the net - cool to run without UAC. Otherwise keep running UAC / protected modes - it will prevent some of the (new'er) exploits or malware making spagetti of your OS :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Leave that "Virtual store" (lol) folder alone, you set things up ONLY in your instalation folder, that's it.

It would be nice if there was one clear cut and difinitive answer to this question. As far as I can tell from reading all the scattered posts on multi monitors and also the VAAF Wiki, people are having mixed results with this. According to the Wiki, one guy spent 2 weeks banging his head over this and eventually got it working by editing the options file that was in the virtual store. Editing the one within the game directory didn't work for him.

Another thing mentioned on the Wiki page was that one guy opened his options file once with Openoffice and it buggered the file. Very strange. I can't see how such a thing could happen just by opening a file with a non "code aware" program. If you don't save the file with that program, it can't alter anything. I've opened heaps of code files in the past just to have a look at the contents and never ended up buggering a single file. Perhaps his Openoffice program had a very short "autosave" time interval set? I use Notepad++ to edit BS lua files btw...

I've also noticed other differences between the way people set up their options.lua file. Some people put "resolution" as the full multi monitor resolution and "aspect" to suit that. Others put "resolution" as simply their main monitor resolution and "aspect" to suit that. They both say they got their own different method to work. For me the former didn't work but the latter did. Used DickDastardly's files with his touchbuddy profile.

Its a bit confusing when there are alot of differences in people's methods and makes it hard for others to pick out the one(s) they need. Old news I know, but still frustrating sometimes. End up having to trial and error everything to confirm anything. :cry: Worth the effort in the end though, for such an awesome sim. :)

Stuartaston - you say V1.0.1.a does not render a phantom monitor under Vista/Win7. Is this official? I haven't had chance to trial and error my own confirmation on that yet. There is no mention of this in the patch readme file, yet they do say they fixed the CPU multi core afinity. Again, more confusion. Would be nice to know for 100% sure is all...

Finally - point taken on the virtual store duplicated files. I wasn't aware of the reasoning. Still seems a bit weird that they should have to duplicate so much to do so little. Must be more efficient ways to achieve added security. Microsoft coders need to get outside the box more. lol

Edited by Celo63

Stuartaston - you say V1.0.1.a does not render a phantom monitor under Vista/Win7. Is this official? I haven't had chance to trial and error my own confirmation on that yet. There is no mention of this in the patch readme file, yet they do say they fixed the CPU multi core afinity. Again, more confusion. Would be nice to know for 100% sure is all...

It's true for Vista. You don't need the "phantomMonitorFix", if you were using one, or setting one. Also, the affinity sets itself, ne need to Alt-Tab to task manager and setting more cores.

As for the multi monitors, it's like programming. Once you know, how logic works, it becomes easer to set or correct things. And once they're set, you're done. You don't have to set everything up everytime you run the game, only once. It certany helps to have some programming skills, logic and patience, when dealing with this.

I set my aspect ratio to 16:9 (main monitor), even though i'm running the 3200*1080 res. So just try both and you'll instantly see which one seems right.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for confirming that phantom monitor issue PlainSight. They really should have put that info in the patch readme, but I guess they just overlooked it with all the other stuff goin on in there too. Easily done.

I'm trying to help a friend set up his computer with the dual view, but always over skype - I'm not in front of his PC while doing all this and I don't have BlackShark myself yet. Adds a fair bit of lag to the process. We had it going on version 1.0 with DD's touchbuddy profile and all, but the 1.0.1.a patch screwed it all up.

Just a couple things to iron out and we'll be good to go again. I have limited programming skills but a fair understanding of logic and plenty of patience. I will get this sorted out soon enough but like I said, it doesn't help to see so many differences in peoples methods, scattered over so many threads. Its like reading through somebody else's college notes instead of the official text.

I've also noticed other differences between the way people set up their options.lua file. Some people put "resolution" as the full multi monitor resolution and "aspect" to suit that. Others put "resolution" as simply their main monitor resolution and "aspect" to suit that. They both say they got their own different method to work. For me the former didn't work but the latter did. Used DickDastardly's files with his touchbuddy profile.

if you are using three external views (viewdx settings of -1,0,1), resolution and aspect is based on all three added together for main view. Separate ABRIS and skval users use the desktop resolution and aspect for their main view.

If you don't want a virtual store folder, install BS to a location of your own choice.

If you don't want a virtual store folder, install BS to a location of your own choice.

So that's why i don't have it! I have my instalation on a different partition and folder. So the folder in VirtualStore is created only when installing in default folder :doh:. Another mistery solved

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Official no, empirical yes, I have tested this with the phantom monitor fix.. it doesn't work, and without and it does...

As for multi core, i have switched out to task manager, whilst the sim in progress and the processor affinity is set to run against all my cores.. official no, empirical yes... :)

Finally - point taken on the virtual store duplicated files. I wasn't aware of the reasoning. Still seems a bit weird that they should have to duplicate so much to do so little. Must be more efficient ways to achieve added security. Microsoft coders need to get outside the box more. lol

think of it this way... a user process has no business writing to the location where code is run from... if you allow that to happen code can get patched by user processes and that is not good...

If you have another way to improve security and not break every application under the sun... you really should send it into Microsoft, I think they are taking ideas for Win 8 about now ;)

Seriously security is a really tough problem, this increases the complecity of the attackers job and doesn't break too many things... it's a balance between effective security, cost, and usability...

Right ho... off to kill some bad guys.. on my two monitors, under windows 7, without the phantom monitor fix...

:pilotfly:

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

It's true for Vista. You don't need the "phantomMonitorFix"

Not entirly correct. Im using Vista32 running a pair of 22"w LCD with the primary on my right side. Look at post#190 and you can see what happens.

Phantomfix is still required if your using right side monitor as primary as far as i can tell. Works for me anyhow.

if you are using three external views (viewdx settings of -1,0,1), resolution and aspect is based on all three added together for main view. Separate ABRIS and skval users use the desktop resolution and aspect for their main view.

Forgive my ignorance but I don't follow you exactly. Remember I don't have the sim yet and I'm trying to do all this just by reading and without anything in front of me to play around with. Its difficult to follow if you describe things generally and don't use specifics. Sorry if it seems like I'm gnit picking. Just trying to understand is all. The more specific detail, the easier it is for me to follow.

I assume "Separate ABRIS and skval" means {three monitors} and "three external views" means {one monitor, 3 views}?

Sorry for being difficult and thank you all for your help and patience. I do appreciate it greatly.

Forgive my ignorance but I don't follow you exactly. Remember I don't have the sim yet and I'm trying to do all this just by reading and without anything in front of me to play around with. Its difficult to follow if you describe things generally and don't use specifics. Sorry if it seems like I'm gnit picking. Just trying to understand is all. The more specific detail, the easier it is for me to follow.

I assume "Separate ABRIS and skval" means {three monitors} and "three external views" means {one monitor, 3 views}?

Sorry for being difficult and thank you all for your help and patience. I do appreciate it greatly.

Hi Celo63,

You're right with the three monitors for separate ABRIS and Shkval (or you can merge both ABRIS and Shkval onto one monitor in a two monitor setup)

With the three external views it means that there is three monitors with one of the views (front, left and right) on each. Basically a Matrox TripleHead2Go type setup.

Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz | Gigabyte X570-Aorus Ultra | Gigabyte GeForce 4090 | Samsung C34F791 | Varjo Aero | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | too many flight controllers...

A question for those using multi-monitor in Vista...

I've setup a dual monitor setup (LHS is a 1920x1200 with the forward view, RHS ia 1280x1024 with ABRIS and Shkval combined) but because I'm trying to keep the aspect ratios of the ABRIS and Shkval there is a section of the screen that is not drawn on by these instruments. Is it possible to clear this so that the background and previously drawn items don't show? (i.e. the loading screen or radio comms text)

FWIW it's an ATI4870 X-Fire (not that it matters here) setup with one monitor on each port and running in windowed mode.

Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz | Gigabyte X570-Aorus Ultra | Gigabyte GeForce 4090 | Samsung C34F791 | Varjo Aero | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | too many flight controllers...

Formski, no it's not possible in my experience. You're stuck with your 1280x176 dead space.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

A question for those using multi-monitor in Vista...

I've setup a dual monitor setup (LHS is a 1920x1200 with the forward view, RHS ia 1280x1024 with ABRIS and Shkval combined) but because I'm trying to keep the aspect ratios of the ABRIS and Shkval there is a section of the screen that is not drawn on by these instruments. Is it possible to clear this so that the background and previously drawn items don't show? (i.e. the loading screen or radio comms text)

FWIW it's an ATI4870 X-Fire (not that it matters here) setup with one monitor on each port and running in windowed mode.

If you use the touch buddy system then you "sort of" can put "something" there, at least it is not "whatever hapened to be there last" and in the case of touchbuddy it also has a use:

http://www.touch-buddy.com/forums/local_links.php?catid=4

note you DO NOT need a touch screen to use touch buddy, you just need a mouse...

Edited by speed-of-heat

Is it possible to clear this so that the background and previously drawn items don't show? (i.e. the loading screen or radio comms text)

NO, but you can change the loading screen to black image, the radio comms are still there. Not such big problem as pressing F10, i think, and map view becomes your backgroud :mad:.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

Problems getting the cockpit view right

Hi Guys,

I am new the whole flight sim scene, and decided to try DCS Blackshark as my first sim. So far I am really enjoying the whole learning to fly and the realism thing.

I am lucky enough to have a very high end gaming rig, with Dual ATI HD 4870x2's in quad crossfire, and also a single nVidea GTX 275. I am running a Matrox Triplehead2Go with three 24" monitors connected to it, that I use the ATI crossfire setup with, and I also have a single 24" monitor that I connect via the GTX 275.

The problem I have is getting the view of the cockpit right, in my multi monitor setup, I have tried all sorts of configurations and the best I can get is using a 4 camera setup one for each monitor but it still just does'nt look right, as in the picture attached, but as you can see there problems where the views have the same parts of the cockpit in them. I would really like to have my setup like this guys in this video http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjE4NjYxNTI=.html, I have been trying hard but cant seem to get it to be one like one camera shown on all monitors.

This is from options.lua

["graphics"] =

{

["multiMonitorSetup"] = "4Cameras",

["color"] = "32",

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["scenes"] = "high",

["water"] = 3,

["fullScreen"] = false,

["visibRange"] = "High",

["aspect"] = 6.25,

["textures"] = 2,

["shadows"] = 3,

["display_mode"] =

{

["avi"] =

{

["bpp"] = 32,

["resolution"] = "640x480",

["full_screen"] = false,

["aspect"] = 1.333333333,

["height"] = 480,

["width"] = 640,

}, -- end of ["avi"]

}, -- end of ["display_mode"]

["effects"] = 3,

["lights"] = 2,

["haze"] = 1,

["terrPrld"] = "20",

["height"] = 1024,

["resolution"] = "3840x1024",

["civTraffic"] = 0,

["width"] = 6400,

}, -- end of ["graphics"]

and this is the 4camera.lua

Description = 'ABRIS and Shkval on the right and with 3 identical monitors each with its own camera on the center'

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 1280;

y = 0;

width = 1280;

height = 1024;

viewDx = -1;

viewDy = 2;

aspect = 1.25;

},

Center =

{

x = 2560;

y = 0;

width = 1280;

height = 1024;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 2;

aspect = 1.25;

},

right =

{

x = 3840;

y = 0;

width = 1280;

height = 1024;

viewDx = 1;

viewDy = 2;

aspect = 1.25;

},

bottom =

{

x = 5120;

y = 0;

width = 1280;

height = 1024;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = -3;

aspect = 1.25;

}

}

Is there anyone that can help me?

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 133KB.

3947278330_68c23ab8ef_o.jpg

Maximum horizontal res over the total vertical resolution... you currently have the aspect ratio for one screen... rather than the aspect ratio of the view you are trying to create.. no idea if this fixes your problem but your current aspect ratio is right for each screen, but wrong for the total viewing area...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be quick.

2 x monitors.

Main monitor is 1280x1024 in the centre.

Second monitor is 1024x768 on the right.

Main monitor is exactly that - 'my main / primary monitor'

I have not edited any LUA files.

I would like to SHKVAL and ABRIS on the right.

What files need editing with notepad++? and with what?

Please help.

Thanks.

PS: Would i be better off going with the touchbuddy solution here:

http://www.touch-buddy.com/forums/local_links.php?catid=4

if i did, would i be able to keep my main monitor at 1280x1024?

Thanks everyone, Gr8 sim, Gr8 people. U Rock!

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

what version of the sim... it makes a difference ... it is easier with the latest patch