missing targets when using gmt radar

tazzharm

hello all.

not sure if I'm doing something wrong or just missing something , but when I'm in the f 18 and go to Air to Ground mode I switch radar to gmt mode and see ground targets. The wierd thing is the mobile sam units don't show at all. I did a random generated mission and looked at the map during mission editor to see the types of targets  and when in the flight all the ground targets show up on radar but the 6 mobile sam units . sorry not sure what they are called. but when I'm looking for them they fire and shoot me down lol . I can see them on the ground as I have lables marking on to show the symble only so they are active , as I fly towards one radar nor HARM locates them.

I try to carry a HARM and still does not show the sam units. 

I save the mission as I'm using it to practice with radar and flir 

hopefully I have explained this ok.

thanks for the help

Glenn.

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K--32gigs ram--Gtx 3070--windows 11--Oculus Quest 2 VR--X-56 Hotas . DCS Openworld Beta

ok i will.

but this is wierd correct, I should see all ground units via gmt radar. I'll go into the game shortly and try and save it and show it. 

• Thanks 1

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K--32gigs ram--Gtx 3070--windows 11--Oculus Quest 2 VR--X-56 Hotas . DCS Openworld Beta

ok 

so I tested out a fast flight and placed 2 Gophers down and started out 150nm from target . Had HARM and FLIR and Maverick . flew towards target with Harm in TOO mode to see if anything would be picked up and as I got within 40nm nothing  , even the GMT radar didn't pick them up flew over and was shot down. lol

saved track but when I choose file to upload it says file too large so no track uploaded

Edited by tazzharm

3 hours ago, tazzharm said:

ok i will.

but this is wierd correct, I should see all ground units via gmt radar. I'll go into the game shortly and try and save it and show it. 

Are the "mobile" SAM actually moving though?  If they stop (and at least IRL, not positive in DCS, they would need to be stopped to fire) you won't see them on Ground MOVING Target (GMT) mode of the radar.  They may only be moving periodically.

hey.

so what your says is that they have to be moving? sorry it just doesn't make sense to me for some reason.  

why is it that I can see other targets moving and stationary but this unit is not visible on radar.  I must be missing something

it's the Gopher unit . as in my test flight it was not visible on radar nor via TOO mode on HARM but as I flew over it, it fired and shot me down so it is a working unit.

if someone gets a chance try it . place one down and see if you can locate it via either HARM TOO mode or GMT radar. 

thanks for helping

Glenn.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb tazzharm:

so what your says is that they have to be moving? sorry it just doesn't make sense to me for some reason.  

Exactly this. They need to move so there is a radar return that is different from the ground that's reflecting the radar, as well.  That's why the mode is called Ground Moving Target. The computer can identify radar reflections that move against the returns from the background.

Basically a vehicle standing is perfectly notching your radar from any available angle... 😇

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

3 hours ago, tazzharm said:

hey.

why is it that I can see other targets moving and stationary but this unit is not visible on radar.  I must be missing something

it's the Gopher unit . as in my test flight it was not visible on radar nor via TOO mode on HARM but as I flew over it, it fired and shot me down so it is a working unit.

if someone gets a chance try it . place one down and see if you can locate it via either HARM TOO mode or GMT radar. 

thanks for helping

Glenn.

The Gopher (SA-13) has IR missiles, so that would explain how it took you down with no RWR (or HARM TOO) indications (it has a radar but doesn't have to use it).

If you use any one the other A-G modes the target doesn't need to be moving to show up (but you get a lot more ground clutter because it's not filtering anything that isn't moving).  GMT is Ground MOVING Target mode.  It will only show targets that are moving.

Strela-10 (SA-13 "Gopher") is an IR SAM. It will not trigger your RWR, and won't show up on any HARM pages. Technically, Soviets did put a little radar dish on it, but that was only meant for rangefinding before firing the missiles, not for searching for, nor tracking targets, and AFAIK it ended up not being used much, probably even removed altogether in later modernizations?

SAMs will not always, but usually stop before engaging aircraft, so that may have stopped it from showing on GMT radar. I personally feel like, FLIR targeting pod video is the best way to find things on ground in most cases, if their general whereabouts is known at least.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

ok i think I got it.

thank you very much for explaining

I thought I was loosing my mind for some reason just couldn't wrap my brain around it .

thanks again for the help.

Glenn.

• Like 1