Vaicom no longer recognizes F-14 after DCS 2.8 update

Jayhawk1971

Apparently whatever ED did also affected SRS. Now this is a different league altogether, given the size of the online user base that rely on SRS. Maybe that'll make ED reconsider and revert back? 

As long as the fix is not something that the creators have to do on their side....

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BMGZ06 said:

yup i had a bad feeling this was going to happen. I cant play DCS without vaicom in VR anymore

Well that is too bad I will tell you though I will find a way without Vaicom.  I don't want to, I personally love the program, but it is no longer supported and I guess the sooner I can move to whatever I am going to do the better for me. I do not want to be hamstrung on depending on Vaicom to continue working with zero support.  Guess I will try my hand at creating a VA profile that will work for me and what I want to do. No it will not be as good as having Vaicom but got to get realistic here.

It is a dadgum shame it is coming to this. I do hope Hollywood is well, but his program is abandoned I think at this point.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

7 minutes ago, dburne said:

Well that is too bad I will tell you though I will find a way without Vaicom.  I don't want to, I personally love the program, but it is no longer supported and I guess the sooner I can move to whatever I am going to do the better for me. I do not want to be hamstrung on depending on Vaicom to continue working with zero support.  Guess I will try my hand at creating a VA profile that will work for me and what I want to do. No it will not be as good as having Vaicom but got to get realistic here.

It is a dadgum shame it is coming to this. I do hope Hollywood is well, but his program is abandoned I think at this point.

Ya i can use baileys stuff but I cant remember how to disable vaicom so that the comms or F10 menu will come back. i have had vaicom so long I dont remember how it used to work

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

18 minutes ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Apparently whatever ED did also affected SRS.

The good news is that a small correction to the SRS setup on the server will resolve this problem says developer Ciribob. Its described on the SRS discord now.

• Like 1

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

1 hour ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Just been over at the inofficial Vaicom discord, and found this post by Folgers:

Anyone know which root folder exactly? Might be worth a try.....

cant find a link to the discord anywhere. you have it?

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

42 minutes ago, BMGZ06 said:

Ya i can use baileys stuff but I cant remember how to disable vaicom so that the comms or F10 menu will come back. i have had vaicom so long I dont remember how it used to work

I would think should be something in the Vaicom manual on that- have not checked myself yet.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

8 hours ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Just been over at the inofficial Vaicom discord

Could you please get me the discord link. I want to monitor every source for a possible work around. The absence of VAICOM takes out every bit of enjoyment of getting into dcs for me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dburne said:

I've been doing exactly that for about over a month now. I won't say it is easy tho. If you need help, check their official forums. The main problem is how obsolete current DCS comms menu implementation is. If anything, the one thing that would solve it all is if all the commands could be binded to a keypress, this way one could skip through all the menu levels and simply create voice activated comms shortcuts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomcat_driver said:

I've been doing exactly that for about over a month now. I won't say it is easy tho. If you need help, check their official forums. The main problem is how obsolete current DCS comms menu implementation is. If anything, the one thing that would solve it all is if all the commands could be binded to a keypress, this way one could skip through all the menu levels and simply create voice activated comms shortcuts.

This is an absolute DISASTER! I had no idea that VIACOM PRO was dying. I will have to think of something else for sure! I cannot imagine flying the F-14B as a pilot  without voice commands for Jester! I am not going to be able to implement that via Voice Attack. I may have to exercise my C# skills and break out LUA docs and see if I can plug into Jester/Iceman at least!

Edited by mmcintosh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Asus ROG HERO / i9-13900K / 6GHZ /32GB DDR5 6400/ Asus RTX 3090 Ti OC / Samsung SSDs - 2*990 Pro 2TB / PiMax 8KX HMD / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + 4 MFDs + Logitech Rudders on Next Level Racing Rig with Buttkicker Gamer Plus

36 minutes ago, mmcintosh said:

This is an absolute DISASTER! I had no idea that VIACOM PRO was dying. I will have to think of something else for sure! I cannot imagine flying the F-14B as a pilot  without voice commands for Jester! I am not going to be able to implement that via Voice Attack. I may have to exercise my C# skills and break out LUA docs and see if I can plug into Jester/Iceman at least!

If you can create a plugin to interface Voice Attack with DCS directly without keybinds, there's already Bailey's VA profile or the one I'm making that could be modified to interface with the plugin. 

Edited by tomcat_driver
  • Like 1

We should ask HB for more Jester keyboard shortcuts, so they can be included in Bailey's profile. Also, we should all poke ED about making their comms menu non-dynamic when the ATC improvements come. It's stupid anyway, there's no way to build up muscle memory for comms with that system. VAICOM shouldn't have been needed in first place.

• Like 2

The thing is that since it exists it proves that it is possible to improve the areas of the game that ED can't dedicate all its resources to fix. It means that the community can take on such tasks and make DCS better. It's just a shame that Holywood_315 closed its software and disappeared. It should had been open source from the start, with an option for "donations welcome". It's niche market anyways, don't expect to get rich.

• Like 2

TBH I don't think Hollywood's disappearing was voluntary. Anything happened to him happened too fast for him to arrange things otherwise. 

It doesn't make sense after all his previous support to just leave the project without any brief explanation, if he knew this in advance. 

So we can only conspire or to cope with new reality. It is not ED's responsibility to manage their updates in a way that no other third parties mods will be affected. At the moment they should try to implement something similar to the Vaicom Pro, even if it was a paid module. 

I don't know how to fly the F-14B without the Vaicom Pro and trying to force the Jester to operate the radar using the wheel commands while in combat. It can be done, but it's a immersion killer and too slow to work. 

7 minutes ago, JohnMclane said:

I just cant have nice things... Picked up vaicom pro and the tomcat about 3 weeks ago and hadnt had this much fun flying in DCS before. Sucks because there were no mentions of the product not being supported anymore when purchasing. 

Yeah that is the rub - it is still offered for sale.

Well I am not going to be too hasty in trying to wipe all my Vaicom install. I know in April of of this year we did get an update for Vaicom after the Apache dropped, and Hollywood had not been posting on the forums since Jan. So not real sure what the deal there was.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I too am hugely disappointed.  Even if I go to Bailey's profile, it was nowhere near as robust and had as many workable functions as VAICOM Pro did.

But until then, I need to know what to do especially since it not only doesn't work, but I now have a DCS with broken comms--I can't make radio calls via keystroke at all.

I am too squeamish on messing with lua lines.  I don't want to break anything further and end up having a full reinstall to fix things.  I don't think a slow repair is my answer as I am running the Steam version.  MAybe I'll try the integrity check first.

But I may need help doing lua line things (guess it's time to learn), or even to uninstall VAICOM Pro, which I hope will come back.  Best scenario is getting my DCS radio functions to work again while leaving VAICOM PRo intact just not started or plugged in in case Hollywood come back to fix things.

Jayhawk, I may be emailing you about this since you seem to know what you're doing...

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

I am going to  hang just a few days guys before doing anything drastic - just in case. That is easy for me to say though as I am currently recouping from surgery and can not fly for a few more days.

• Like 2

Don B

Update.  I did a Steam integrity check and the radio menus are working again for the Tomcat but not for say the Hornet.  I also have a Jester wheel.  I haven't started Voice Attack though to see if it will change anything or if Bailey's profile will work instead.  SO I dunno....

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

44 minutes ago, tomcat_driver said:

Get well soon Don.

:thumbup:

Thank you!

Don B

vor 44 Minuten schrieb bonesvf103:

Update.  I did a Steam integrity check and the radio menus are working again for the Tomcat but not for say the Hornet.  I also have a Jester wheel.  I haven't started Voice Attack though to see if it will change anything or if Bailey's profile will work instead.  SO I dunno....

v6,

boNes

Hi Bones,

I'm on standalone, not Steam, so I don't know if this would be helpful to you. Anyway, I went into my saved games -> dcs -> scripts folder and edited the export.lua (nothing fancy, just opened it in notepad and deleted the Vaicom entry - I did this every time after a patch, because this prevented the comms menu from popping up again and again in the past). Next, I did a "slow" repair (repair all files). Either one of the two, or both, worked in so far as I can again fully use the comms menu. As long as I don't start Vaicom.

Since my Tomcat is grounded for the time being, I've moved on to the Viper and am in the process of re-learning the A-10, and I can do this with the comms menu (even though it's a hassle in VR). 

I hope someone can fix the Vaicom hook into DCS, soon.