Pimax and RX 7900 XTX? Pimax issues with AMD?

Nascar

The RX 7900 XTX seems like a good deal @ $999 compared to the 4090. Especially, since DCS doesn't take advantage of DLSS. I see in the Pimax group AMD doesn't run well. Is this normal Pimax hysteria or does it ring true?

• Like 1

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

30 minutes ago, Nascar said:

The RX 7900 XTX seems like a good deal @ $999 compared to the 4090.

LOL, are you saying this with a straight face?  *NO* GPU is worth that much, no reason for that price.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

We will have to wait and see. There seems to be something in the hardware render pipeline that Nvidia supports and AMD doesn't because both Pimax and Varjo need Nvidia hardware. 

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

1 hour ago, DayGlow said:

We will have to wait and see. There seems to be something in the hardware render pipeline that Nvidia supports and AMD doesn't because both Pimax and Varjo need Nvidia hardware. 

In Varjo's case they claim because the percentage of Radeon users is so small they did not devote any resources to supporting it. They said if their GPU market share were larger to justify them putting the effort in they would.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

For release of 7900 both versions, we will have to wait until mid December. Everything before that, are simply speculations. So wait with it.

I agree but if you don't get in on preorder the price jump with probably get to $1500. The 4090 could be had for $1700 but now it's $2300. 

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

I would expect a price hike if you are not a day one purchaser, just like what happened with the 4090.  These cards cost less and will be in higher demand.  I also don’t quite get the pricing tactics, with the high end model costing only $100 more why would anybody buy the XT, the demand will probably drive the XTX price hike even more.  Even if the demands aren’t high enough they can still create a situation to make it so by throttling the supply or release intervals.  Unless there is a solid preordering system like Apple that guarantees your purchase, a lot of people will be paying more than MSRP this holiday.  And these companies are allowing this because more money is more money.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

This is a good topic. I have a 6900XT that I’m very happy with and an upgrade to the 7900XTX is ideally the path I’ll follow. However…going AMD essentially locks you out of Pimax and Varjo headsets. That hasn’t been a problem for me to date, but I’m intrigued by the upcoming OLED MeganeX, but don’t yet know if it will support AMD cards.

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

• 2 weeks later...

I am switching back to nvidia with a 3090ti that is coming in the mail in about a week.  Meanwhile I sold my 6900xt and re-installed my old 2070 for now.  Going back to nvidia was a revelation.  The AMD card was an outstanding performer (FPS wise) but the quality of the image was not as good as what I see now even in the 2070.  Blacks are more dark, lines are more straight contrast blew me away and this is especially apparent in SteamVR portal.  I now understand why people were stating that AMD does not support VR very well.  Also, none of their adrenaline software options work in VR.  

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

• 1 month later...

I can't tell about the 7000 series but I used to have a 6900xt and it was working fine with my Pimax 5k Super and 8K+.  There are problems but it was running.  The image quality was not on par with nvidia and this was apparent when I switch to the 4080, better contrast and darker blacks.  I never was able to fully use OpenXR with the 6900xt, results were good for increased FPS but poor image quality.  I was stuck with SteamVR.  Pitool Smart smoothing was impossible to use and compulsive smooth had too much ghosting for me.

In general, AMD does not support VR as well as nvidia.  I would wait to see VR specific feedback/review from people that bought a 7900xtx.  Since AMD did not improve their driver for VR, I decided to pay a little extra and go back with the green team.  I was even considering a 3090ti but they are more expensive than the 4080, which is much more powerful.

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.