DCS AJS-37 Viggen manual RC2.1

TOViper

11 hours ago, Machalot said:

In Section 5, several of the subheadings in light blue font now have double quotes on them.  This is unusual and I see no reason to do this.

There may be places where header and subheader styles were not applied properly, like here on TILS landing.

DONE

It would be helpful if the page headers included the section number, like 6. Aerodynamic Properties

I also noticed an error in the headers of Section 6.  On pages where the AERODYNAMIC PROPERTIES header appears on the left, it is correct, but on the alternating pages where it appears on the right, it says WEAPON EMPLOYMENT

This WEAPONS EMPLOYMENT chapter header error also appears on the Chapter 6 title page, even though it is hidden in the black background (shown as a green search highlight here).

DONE

This suggestion about figure numbers might be more trouble than it's worth now, but may save trouble in the future.  Numbering figures sequentially in the whole document (e.g. Figure 237) means any time you add or delete a figure, you have to renumber everything downstream of it, including all the cross-references to those figures.  Instead, if you use chapter- and section-based figure numbers (e.g. Figure 6-14 or Figure 6.3-4), it minimizes this problem.

No need to worry, they are numbered using the label picture functions of Word, and therefore will always automatically update when new pics are added.
Same for references, they are automated fields.

Nothing to do here.

10 hours ago, Machalot said:

What are your thoughts about updating the Credits section with the latest lists of devs and testers?

Can you provide a list?
I case yes, please provide only names of testers who want to find their names in the doc.

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

4 hours ago, TOViper said:

DONE

DONE

No need to worry, they are numbered using the label picture functions of Word, and therefore will always automatically update when new pics are added.
Same for references, they are automated fields.

Nothing to do here.

Can you provide a list?
I case yes, please provide only names of testers who want to find their names in the doc.

I have asked HB about an updated list. 

Do you have a latest and greatest draft posted somewhere? I still only have the Nov 11 version without all the updates you've made based on feedback in this thread. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

I am currently working on the problem with the implementation of the used font into the PDF the document.
When viewing in the browser, the font MinionPro is replaced by a standard font, which shouldn't be.
Anyway, this should solve once I use my other compter with the official Adobe PDF printer.

Edited by TOViper
link removed

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Nice to see the manual getting some love.

Page 87 in the Standard turn section of the AP, the line for above Mach 0.8 mentions the ST criteria for the AP being a turn of 1.41g.
This seems needlessly technical, and I suggest that mentioning the equivalent bank angle of 45 degrees be noted instead, as this is far more relevant for pilots than the load factor.

26 minutes ago, TheSkipjack95 said:

Page 87 in the Standard turn section of the AP, the line for above Mach 0.8 mentions the ST criteria for the AP being a turn of 1.41g.
This seems needlessly technical, and I suggest that mentioning the equivalent bank angle of 45 degrees be noted instead, as this is far more relevant for pilots than the load factor.

I think that's a good point. Why not list both? 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

35 minutes ago, TheSkipjack95 said:

DONE

Guys, the RC2.1 office closes now, and re-opens on Sunday for a very short time, when the final version will be prepared for Heatblur.
From now on I will not monitor this thread anymore.

Thank you for your valuable comments!
I wish you all the best for next year, and keep up the good work and mood!
:wavetowel:

Edited by TOViper
  • Thanks 2

my computer:

12 hours ago, TOViper said:

I am currently working on the problem with the implementation of the used font into the PDF the document.
When viewing in the browser, the font MinionPro is replaced by a standard font, which shouldn't be.
Anyway, this should solve once I use my other compter with the official Adobe PDF printer.

Here is the link for the latest version: https://viggen.training/RC2.1/DCS_AJS-37_Manual_RC2.1beta.pdf

Thanks, I see several of the recent updates.

I noticed the title page image is very pixelated.  Is that something you're still working on fixing?

image.png

8 hours ago, Machalot said:

Thanks, I see several of the recent updates.

I noticed the title page image is very pixelated.  Is that something you're still working on fixing?

image.png

No. The original is pixelated too.

my computer:

I know we are now officially past the deadline.  I'll still post this for your consideration.

Today we had a discussion about how to handle the non-functional input codes for the BK90 and RB15.  One suggestion was to keep them in the manual, but note that they are unimplemented in the game. 

For the BK90, the only codes that are implemented are 921, 922, and 923 to control the dispersion.  I believe the 91XXX0 altitude codes described on p. 343 are not functional.

For the RB15, the only codes that are implemented are 800000, 800001, 800002, 800003, and 800004.  All the other custom settings in the tables on pp. 336-7 are not implemented.

Edited by Machalot

Hello Machalot!

Thanks for this information, but the manual is now in hands of Heatblur and for the moment away from my desk.
I will not do any further changes to RC2.1(beta), unless Heatblur wants me to do so.

Now I wil start taking care about my new project, which should become live soon.
Kind regards and best wishes to you on this NEW YEARS DAY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqvry4fM0zk&ab_channel=TonyRomanov
🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

my computer:

• 1 month later...

Log 2023-02-06:
Repaired some font errors.
Repaired some typos.
Repaired some PDF *gwrklwmgsngsnwqd_fckthng*.
Link for download see OP.

Kind regards,
TOViper
🙂

• Thanks 2

my computer:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2022 at 5:17 PM, TOViper said:

Hi JG300_Papaye!

One one hand this seems a very good idea, on the other hand there are so many small issues corrected, it will be much effort to accomplish.
But I'll see what I can do.

Thanks in any case for your comment and suggestion!

Kind regards,
TOViper

This one I rejected, caused by the huge amount of corrections that were made.
Simply impossible, sorry guys!

my computer:

Are you still making updates? There's an issue with the description of the LAND/SJÖ switch. It changes the mode of the Doppler radar, not the radar altimeter. It appears on pages 114, 115, and 234, at a minimum. There may be other places. 

Edited by Machalot

There is also an error in the old manual regarding when to turn the master mode switch in relation to take off. The (current/old) manual states it needs to be in NAV for 2 minutes to align the CK37 for takeoff heading, but the Swedish version covers that this is done in BER. 

---

AJS37 Viggen, F-16C Viper, Adobe Premier.

X56 HOTAS, Ryzen 7, GTX 2070S

youtube.com/leadnapgaming

1 hour ago, Leadnap said:

There is also an error in the old manual regarding when to turn the master mode switch in relation to take off. The (current/old) manual states it needs to be in NAV for 2 minutes to align the CK37 for takeoff heading, but the Swedish version covers that this is done in BER. 

Do you know on what page it says 2 and 5 minutes for alignment and overheating respectively?

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

The error can be found on Page 241 "NAV (At the earliest 2 minutes before throttle up, to avoid problems with the navigation system)" however the navigation system initializes in BER, the "2 minutes" is to prevent overheating because the bay is air cooled (hence needing to be throttle up within 2 minutes). 

I don't know if the "current" manual is a revision of an earlier one - I cannot find the 5 minute portion anymore but I know it was in the manual I downloaded a long time ago because it was what I referenced in an earlier tutorial and an older version of the Chucks Guide also had "5 mins" instead of 2. 

---

AJS37 Viggen, F-16C Viper, Adobe Premier.

X56 HOTAS, Ryzen 7, GTX 2070S

youtube.com/leadnapgaming

On 2/21/2023 at 3:19 AM, Machalot said:

Are you still making updates? There's an issue with the description of the LAND/SJÖ switch. It changes the mode of the Doppler radar, not the radar altimeter. It appears on pages 114, 115, and 234, at a minimum. There may be other places. 

Hi Machalot!

Since HB didn't really respond to the new RC2beta, I still do.

Just a reminder, but I am sure everyone is still aware:
Please keep in mind to supply information that describes the module, not the real aircraft.
If you think the module should change because it is probably wrong, then try to solve the issues interneally with HB programmer first.

Regarding the Doppler: on which SFI page can I find?

Edited by TOViper

my computer:

1 minute ago, TOViper said:

Regarding the Doppler: on which SFI page can I find?

Need @MYSE1234's help!  Here's the excerpt he provided at the time:

unknown.png

I reposted it here: https://discord.com/channels/1071433028045377637/1071578053584638093/1077408862862311535

• Thanks 1

Thanks!
Meanwhile, I corrected two errors on page 115:
.) Intend of LAND / SJÖ switch was there, should not be there
.) Some extra spaces where placed wrong or where missing

Edited by TOViper

my computer:

6 hours ago, TOViper said:

Flying over the Swedish text (not translating, just flying over it) I assume the RC2 is correct, despite the fact that this function seems not implemented in the module.

I had a conversation with a HB dev who explained how it is implemented in the code as an effect on the doppler measurement error. 

Here's the Google translation of the text: 

3.7 LAND / SEA switch When flying over land, the reflection against the ground surface is fairly evenly distributed within the surface irradiated by the lobe. When flying over seas, the part of the irradiated surface that is closest to the aircraft produces a stronger reflex ion than the part further away. The center of gravity in the Doppler spectrum is thereby shifted towards a lower Doppler frequency. The size of the error is dependent on the amount of heave and the aircraft's attitude. In plane flight and moderate sea heave, the longitudinal error amounts to a couple of percent. This is partly compensated by a special signal processing in the computer when the LAND / SEA switch is set to the SEA position. If, in addition, radar altitude is available, a detection filter is connected to the computer whose task is to determine whether the flight takes place over land or water. In the filter, the noise of the height signal is used to determine the roughness of the terrain. When this exceeds 7 m and the LAND / SJÖ switch is in the SJÖ position, flight over the sea is considered to exist and the sea scale factors are used.

Edited by Machalot

The LAND/SJÖ switch is 100% used for the doppler radar and not the radar altimeter. It was tested internally too and does function.So the manual is incorrect on both what it affects and that it does not function.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |