DCS AJS-37 Viggen manual RC2.1

TOViper

7 hours ago, Scandfox said:

I created a post in BUGS and Problems instead

Thanks, turns out we already have it in the bug tracker.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Hi JG300_Papaye!

One one hand this seems a very good idea, on the other hand there are so many small issues corrected, it will be much effort to accomplish.
But I'll see what I can do.

Thanks in any case for your comment and suggestion!

Kind regards,
TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Any place the manual says "dampen" or "dampener" or "dampening", it should be changed to damp, damper, and damping.

To dampen means to make wet.  To damp means to reduce the amplitude of motion.

Edited by Machalot

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Any screenshots of the kneeboard pages need to be updated to the new look of the kneeboard.  There is one on page 380 in Appendix II.

It would also be good to add the instructions on how to set Time on Target and ingress Mach number when setting up a custom cartridge on the F10 map, from @RagnarDa's post here:

52 minutes ago, Machalot said:

Any place the manual says "dampen" or "dampener" or "dampening", it should be changed to damp, damper, and damping.

To dampen means to make wet.  To damp means to reduce the amplitude of motion.

Despite the very small differences, I fully agree and changed that.
The "yaw dampener"would be a very uncommon wording... thanks for this catch!

DONE 2022-12-03

Edited by TOViper

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

@Machalot Good idea, I already implemented it!

DONE 2022-12-03: Any screenshots of the kneeboard pages need to be updated to the new look of the kneeboard.  There is one on page 380 in Appendix II.

DONE 2022-12-03: It would also be good to add the instructions on how to set Time on Target and ingress Mach number when setting up a custom cartridge on the F10 map, from @RagnarDa's post here:

I've done it in this way:

null
null

image.png

image.png

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 1

my computer:

Guys, is the bold text clear to you? See RC2 page 174:

"Flying time to target serves as a reference to time error on target calculations and is only presented if no time on targets are set. If a time on target has been set, a timetable deviation is presented instead."

IMHO, the last sentence should start like this (changes are in bold now):
" 'Flight time to target waypoint' serves as a reference to 'time error on target calculations' ..."

You agree?

• Like 1

my computer:

3 hours ago, TOViper said:

Guys, is the bold text clear to you? See RC2 page 174:

"Flying time to target serves as a reference to time error on target calculations and is only presented if no time on targets are set. If a time on target has been set, a timetable deviation is presented instead."

IMHO, the last sentence should start like this (changes are in bold now):
" 'Flight time to target waypoint' serves as a reference to 'time error on target calculations' ..."

You agree?

I think without a time on target set, it shows estimated time of flight to the next waypoint, not to the target. 

Edited by Machalot

22 minutes ago, Machalot said:

I think without a time on target set, it shows estimated time of flight to the next waypoint, not to the target. 

It should be to the target waypoint, but it does indeed show to next waypoint 🤪

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

For the moment I re-phrased this part on page 174 in the following way (also consider the last part about Indication) :

null

image.png

Edited by TOViper

my computer:

I can't figure out the difference between time error on target and timetable deviation. 

What does it mean when a Bx point is selected and it calculates time "for the previous waypoint in the polygon"?  What is considered previous?

In general I think the text should refer to figures and tables by number, rather than phrases like "the figure above" as shown in your kneeboard example.

Edited by Machalot

9 hours ago, Machalot said:

I can't figure out the difference between time error on target and timetable deviation.

@IronMike Maybe you can take a look and hand this over to the author of this documet, or even explain it.

I assume its the same.

9 hours ago, Machalot said:

What does it mean when a Bx point is selected and it calculates time "for the previous waypoint in the polygon"?  What is considered previous?

I have no f..... idea.

my computer:

Time error on target (predicted time error)
"The predicted time error is calculated with the current airspeed, including current speed changes, to the next waypoint with an ingress speed set on it. Before a waypoint with an ingress speed set on it is overflown, the calculation uses the set speed on that waypoint between it and the target waypoint to calculate the time error over the target."

This error uses the current speed in addition to what is set on the waypoints to calculate the time error at the target. The error is shown using the fin on the velocity vector.

Note that this indication currently does not work correctly.
image.png

Timetable deviation
The timetable deviation is calculated only using speeds set in CK37. The distance economic speed (M0.55) is assumed to be used from takeoff to the earliest waypoint win an ingress speed set. After that ingress speed(s) are used to calculate the time each leg of the flight takes to get the time table deviation.
This error is shown on the data panel using TID/UT.

"Due to the two time error indications using different references, the predicted time error at the target may be 0 while the time table may show a deviation and vice versa."

As for the Bx waypoint thing the only thing that would make sense in my mind is that the "previous waypoint" is the previously selected B/M waypoint. The only way to select a Bx point is to do so manually, so when that is then selected the previously selected waypoint would be a B/M point...

I hope this made the difference between the two a little clearer, granted I'm sure my typing is a bit scuffed at places. Hopefully it's not too bad. 😄

Edited by MYSE1234
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

3 hours ago, MYSE1234 said:

Note that this indication currently does not work correctly.

Myse1234, in which way does it currently not work correctly?

my computer:

OK folks, I re-assembled pages 174-176, please go through it and give me feedback:

DCS_AJS37_Flight_Manual_EN_RC2.1_re-build_Version_2022-12-05_pages_174-176.pdf

• Thanks 1

my computer:

On 12/4/2022 at 7:41 AM, Machalot said:

In general I think the text should refer to figures and tables by number, rather than phrases like "the figure above" as shown in your kneeboard example.

DONE 2022-12-06

• Like 1

my computer:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks!

Please don't forget to add bugs/issues/errors of the RC2.1(beta) manual to this thread.
Deadline for reports is the 30th of December 2022 in order to have changes implemented in RC2.1.

Thanks and happy flying,
TOViper

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

my computer:

In Section 5, several of the subheadings in light blue font now have double quotes on them.  This is unusual and I see no reason to do this. 

nullimage.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

There may be places where header and subheader styles were not applied properly, like here on TILS landing.

image.png

There are several places that use plain prose to point to other content, such as this.  I think these references should include chapter and section numbers where available, or at least include the section titles and subtitles.

image.png

It would be helpful if the page headers included the section number, like 6. Aerodynamic Properties

image.png

I also noticed an error in the headers of Section 6.  On pages where the AERODYNAMIC PROPERTIES header appears on the left, it is correct, but on the alternating pages where it appears on the right, it says WEAPON EMPLOYMENT

image.png

This WEAPONS EMPLOYMENT chapter header error also appears on the Chapter 6 title page, even though it is hidden in the black background (shown as a green search highlight here).

image.png

This suggestion about figure numbers might be more trouble than it's worth now, but may save trouble in the future.  Numbering figures sequentially in the whole document (e.g. Figure 237) means any time you add or delete a figure, you have to renumber everything downstream of it, including all the cross-references to those figures.  Instead, if you use chapter- and section-based figure numbers (e.g. Figure 6-14 or Figure 6.3-4), it minimizes this problem.

image.png